Are you training for a six-pack, or maybe just trying to lose a little weight and tighten up your midsection?
Regardless of your experience level, an ab roller can make a big difference. It directly works the abs and also targets the lower back, glutes, and even arms.
If you’re ready to work those abs, this guide will help you choose the best ab rollers for your personal goals. Let’ dive right in!
In a Hurry? Here is our top pick:
Quick Answer – The Best Ab Rollers
- Integlobe 4-Wheel Ab Roller – Best Overall
- Nanynnu Ab Roller Wheel Workout Equipment – Best Wide Ab Roller
- Odoland 3-In-1 AB Wheel Roller Kit – Best Resistance Band-Based Ab Roller
- Valeo Dual Ab Wheel – Best For Beginners
- Vinsguir Ab Roller – Best For Wheel Strength
- BK Sports Ab Roller Wheel – Best Ergonomically Designed Handles
- AbDolly Core Training System – Best Unique Ab Roller
- Sports Research Ab Wheel – Best For Seniors
- Perfect Fitness Ab Carver – Best Ab Roller With Spring Resistance
- Hard Athlete Ab Roller Wheel – Best Budget Ab Roller
Reviews – The Best Ab Rollers
1. Integlobe 4-Wheel Ab Roller – Best Overall
The Integlobe Ab Roller is a 4-wheel design with a triangle-shaped frame. This design is meant to enhance stability and improve control.
The wheels are solid rubber, and the handle is a straight steel shaft that runs through the frame.
This ab roller comes assembled due to the steel tube, you can just unpack it and use it right away.
The handles are multi-layered for comfort and a solid grip. The wheels feature steel axles and quiet operation with no damage potential to floors.
Additional accessories include a knee mat and a jump rope. The strength of the design and the features combine to make this the best overall ab roller.
- Built Around A Solid Steel Bar For Strength
- 4-Wheel Design For Increased Stability
- Includes A Knee Mat & A Jump Rope
- May Sit Too Low To The Ground For Some Users
2. Nanynnu Ab Roller Wheel Workout Equipment – Best Wide Ab Roller
The Nanynnu Ab Roller features a wide 5.5” wheel designed for stability and can handle up to 600lbs of weight without wobbling. This is probably the widest wheel on an ab roller.
Thanks to the wheel, this Ab Roller is much more stable. It also provides better shoulder support.
This Ab Roller is designed for balance while performing side to side moves, as well as straight-out moves.
The wheel is made of durable slip-resistant material and the handles are designed for comfort and a solid grip. It’s easy to assemble and has a 3-month warranty.
- Wide 5.5” Wheel For Stability
- Easy To Assemble
- Designed To Handle Up To 600lbs
- Poor Warranty, Especially When Competitor Models Have Up To 1 Year
3. Odoland 3-In-1 AB Wheel Roller Kit – Best Resistance Band-Based Ab Roller
The Odoland Ab Wheel is a 3-in-1 kit that also includes a resistance band, a convenient travel bag, and a suggested training program.
The Ab Roller features 3 smooth wheels for stable and smooth movement. The handles are made of steel and covered in durable foam. There’s also a knee pad for knee comfort.
This Ab Roller allows experienced users to remove one wheel if desired. The handles can be removed for easy carrying, and with the travel bag, you can take it anywhere.
The handles can be removed for easy carrying, and with the travel bag, you can take it anywhere. It can be used with the resistance band for more effective results.
You can also use the band separately. The band has a fabric covering and includes two D-handles.
- 3 Wheel Design For Stability – Can Be Changed To A Two Wheel Design
- Foam Covered Steel Handles
- Includes A Resistance Band & Travel Bag
- There’s No Obvious Warranty Information Listed
4. Valeo Dual Ab Wheel – Best For Beginners
The Valeo Dual Ab Wheel is a no-frills ab roller with 2 wheels designed to roll smoothly over virtually any surface. The rubber handles are ergonomically designed for a good grip.
The wheels are skid-resistant and there’s a 5-spoke inner wheel design that distributes the weight evenly. The wheels also have a stainless steel core for strength.
The Valeo Dual Ab Wheel has a 1-year warranty. This simple design and the overall features make this the best choice for beginners.
- Two-Wheeled Ab Roller With A Stainless Steel Core
- Great For Beginners
- Skid-Resistant Wheels & Rubber Handles
- Assembly May Be Hard For Some Users
5. Vinsguir Ab Roller – Best For Wheel Strength
The Visguir Ab Roller features a wide 4.3” wheel for stability and balance. The wheels feature a unique grain-like design for smooth, stable operation.
The handles are made of a single steel shaft that’s covered in EVA rubber cotton for a good grip. The single steel shaft gives the Ab Roller the strongest wheel and overall best strength.
The Vinsguir Ab Roller handles up to 440lbs maximum user weight. It is designed for quick and easy assembly. There’s also a free knee pad included.
The Vinsguir Ab Roller comes with a 180-day warranty and lifetime customer service.
- Made Using A Single Steel Shaft That Runs Through The Wheel
- The 4.3” Wheel Is Designed For Smooth Movement
- Can Hold Up To 440lbs
- Some Users Do Not Like The Quality
6. BK Sports Ab Roller Wheel – Best Ergonomically Designed Handles
The BK Sports Ab Roller is made of premium quality rubber and features a wide design for better performance.
There’s a steel spring inside that provides resistance as you perform the exercise.
The handles are removable and designed to reduce wrist strain. There’s also a knee pad included for knee comfort and support while exercising.
This ab roller comes with an instruction manual that makes assembly easy and includes exercise tips. Finally, it has a 1-year warranty.
- Includes A Built-In Resistance Spring
- Extra Wide Wheel For Stable, Smooth Performance
- Includes A Knee Pad & Exercise Tips
- May Not Be Enough Resistance For Some Users
7. AbDolly Core Training System – Best Unique Ab Roller
The AbDolly Core Training System is unlike other ab rollers because instead of a wheel design, it has a round disc with handles on the sides.
The unique design lets you do more than just ab rolls, you can also perform core, lower body, and upper body exercises.
The AbDolly was created by a certified Athletic Trainer and is meant to be more effective than traditional ab rollers. It will support a user weight of 300lbs.
There’s a knee pad included, as well as a user’s manual. The downside is that there is no obvious warranty information.
- Unique “Dolly” Design Allows users To Do More Than Just Ab Rolls
- Includes A Knee Pad & Instruction Book
- Can Handle Up to 300lbs
- It May Not Move Side To Side As Well As Regular Ab Rollers
8. Sports Research Ab Wheel – Best For Seniors
The Sports Research Ab Wheel features a 3” wide rubber wheel with a “tractor” tread design.
There’s a single steel shaft that runs through the ab roller, users simply attach the padded handles.
The handle is removable for easy transport. There’s also a free knee pad for knee comfort.
This is the best ab roller for seniors because it’s a no-frills design and easy to use.
It has a wide wheel that supports balance and promotes a smoother movement, making it well-suited to older users.
There’s no listed user weight limit but there is a 1-year warranty.
- Features A 3” Wide Rubber Wheel
- Single Steel Shaft Handle Design For Strength
- 1 Year Warranty
- Some Users Expect More For The Price Point, Such As Built-In Resistance
9. Perfect Fitness Ab Carver – Best Ab Roller With Spring Resistance
The Perfect Fitness Ab Carver features an extra-wide wheel with a special carbon steel spring inside that adds resistance to the exercise. The high quality spring adds even resistance as you roll out, and as you roll back to the starting position.
Another advantage of the extra-wide wheel is that it’s designed for smooth-rolling, whether you’re rolling out straight or to the side.
This ab roller includes a foam knee pad for comfort, and the handles are designed for maximum muscle activation and wrist comfort. The handles are also removable so it can be transported easily.
The suggested user weight for this Ab Roller is 300lbs. It has a 1-year warranty and comes with a 21-day workout plan that you can download.
These features and the high quality carbon steel spring makes the Perfect Carver the best spring resistance-based ab roller. 4.5 Stars.
- Extra-Wide Wheel Design For Stability
- Features A Steel Spring Inside The Wheel For Added Resistance
- Comfortable Hand Grips Aid Muscle Activation
- The Spring May Not Work Well For Taller Users – It Locks Up If The Range Is Too Long
10. Hard Athlete Ab Roller Wheel – Best Budget Ab Roller
The Hard Athlete Ab Roller Wheel has a triple-wheel design for stability. The wider wheel allows correct exercise performance and proper shoulder alignment.
The handles are made using EVA non-slip rubber for a good grip. There’s a knee pad for knee comfort and 6 free body transformation ebooks that cover muscle building, fat loss, and proper nutrition.
This ab roller features a steel core that is designed to support user weight up to 440lbs.
It is easy to assemble and has a 6-month warranty, all while featuring a great price point.
- Features A triple-Wheel Design For Stability
- Includes A Free Knee Pad And 6 Free Ebooks
- There are No-Slip Rubber Handles
- The 6 Month Warranty Could Be Better – The Competition Features A 1 Year Warranty
Buying Guide – How To Choose The Best Ab Roller?
While the Ab Roller is a simple piece of exercise equipment, there are several designs to choose from. Let’s take a look at the factors you should consider before making your choice.
Ab Rollers can be a little more pricey than you might think. Still, they are ultimately among the less expensive home gym accessories.
Most ab rollers will fall into the budget guidelines of typical users, and there are a few that are available at an exceptional price point if budget is an issue.
Your Current Level Of Fitness
Performing an ab rollout is not as easy as it looks. A basic roller can have a narrow wheel, making balance difficult, while wider wheels support stability.
Some of the more exotic ab rollers use a 4-wheel design, like a car, and some use a “dolly” design.
If you’re a beginner, go with a wide wheel.
If you’re more advanced, you may want one that offers resistance, such as a tension band or inner steel spring.
Some users use an ab roller as part of a warmup. Others use it as part of a total ab program. In these cases, you don’t need anything fancy.
If you plan to base your ab work around the roller, you’ll want a durable roller that offers the benefits you’re looking for.
As noted above, some include a resistance band, others include an inner steel spring. Based on your goals, you can use an ab roller for a complete core workout.
An ab roller does not take up much space, but using one does.
If you want to work the entire ab region, you’ll need to be able to roll out straight and in a sideways motion. This requires a reasonably small area, so space is probably not that big of a problem.
Many of the ab rollers include a knee pad, if yours does not, you’ll want to kneel on a towel or yoga matt.
Many ab rollers have removable handles for transport, so if you travel a lot, you can take it with you.
Using An Ab Roller
To perform a basic ab roll, do the following:
- Begin on your hands and knees – Use a knee pad or towel, get down on your hands and knees, and grip the handle securely with both hands. This is the start position.
- Roll slowly forward while tensing your abs – Holding the handles, roll forward. Keep your back straight and your abs tight. If you’re a beginner, don’t roll too far out.
- Hold the position – You should hold the extended position for 30-60 seconds, or as long as possible, and then slowly roll back to the start position.
- You can roll out to the side to work your obliques as desired.
Many ab rollers include training guidelines.
If you’re a beginner, make sure you choose one that offers exercise instruction.
Ab Roller Benefits
Getting a six-pack, or even a flatter stomach, begins in the kitchen.
If you have begun to eat healthier and want to exercise, an ab roller can help you get there. Using a roller can engage your abs, lower back, and core.
It can also stimulate the arm muscles. The movement improves trunk strength, improves posture, and develops the entire ab region. These benefits make an ab roller a key part of a complete ab program.
Features To Look For
Most ab rollers are made of plastic with rubber wheels and a single steel shaft for the handle. A shaft like this provides a lot of strength. Some handles are made of steel but consist of two separate shafts. This type of handle won’t be as strong. The handles can be padded with either foam or rubber.
As noted above, some ab wheels have an internal steel spring for added resistance. Still, others provide a resistance band that attaches to the ab roller to make the exercise more difficult.
The tread design can improve wheel traction and stability so you can roll out smoothly whether you’re exercising on a smooth surface or a carpeted surface. Tread designs vary with every manufacturer, from smooth rubber to a tractor style tread. Look for a roller with a tread design because smooth wheels may add momentum to the movement, which takes away from their effectiveness.
The handles have a rubber or foam coating for grip, but some are designed to improve hand placement. This is meant to take the stress off the wrists while you exercise. If you have a history of wrist problems, look for an ab roller with ergonomically designed handles.
We’ve already looked at some of the accessories that come with some ab rollers, such as a jump rope, a knee pad, and a resistance band. Some add push up bars, and many of them include an ebook and access to video workout routines.
One of the more unique accessories is foot pedals attached to the handles. This allows the user to do exercises with their feet attached to the pedals.
Why is that a problem?
If you’re performing a “crawl” type exercise where you’re rolling your legs and “crawling” using your upper body, what happens?
The ab wheel will be doing all the lower body work, not your legs. Why?
You aren’t crawling against resistance because the wheel creates momentum. It makes more sense to attach your legs to weight with an ankle cuff and crawl out while pulling 5-10lbs.
You can use any number of home gyms for this purpose, all you need is a low pulley attachment.
Don’t have access to anything like that?
Use ankle weights. You’ll need to work up to it, but it can be an effective exercise.
Who would have thought such a simple piece of equipment could have so many variations?
If budget is your biggest concern, the Hard Athlete Ab Roller Wheel has three wheels for stability. The handles have EVA non-slip rubber for a good grip. There’s a knee pad for knee comfort and 6 free body transformation ebooks, all at a great price point.
If you want our best overall, the Integlobe 4-Wheel Ab Roller has 4-wheels, like a car. It also has a triangle-shaped frame. This design improves stability and control. It has solid rubber wheels, and the handle is a straight steel shaft that increases frame strength. There’s no assembly required.