Ashwagandha is a powerful herb commonly used as an adaptogen. That means it helps the body cope with stress. This includes emotional stress. It also includes the physical stress that can come from intense workouts.
Lately, it’s become a popular addition to the supplement arsenal of anyone that exercises. It’s also popular with anyone that deals with stress.
This guide will review the best ashwagandha supplements on the market. Let’s get started!
In a Hurry? Here is our top pick:
Best ashwagandha supplement
- Nutricost KSM-66 Ashwagandha Root – Best Overall
- Nutricost Ashwagandha – Best Value Conscious
- Inner Zen Ashwagandha – Best New BrandEssential Elements Organic Ashwagandha – Best For Vegans
- BulkSupplements.com Ashwagandha Extract – Best Powder
- NutraLife Labs Ashwagandha – Best Blend
- Herb Pharm Certified Organic Ashwagandha Extract – Best Liquid
- Organic India Tulsi Ashwagandha Tea – Best Tea
- Own Your Wellness Ashwagandha Wellness Complex – Best Ashwagandha Wellness Formula
- JOYLI Ashwagandha Gummies – Best Gummy
- MuscleTech Test HD Elite – Best For Bodybuilders
Reviews – The Best ashwagandha supplements
Nutricost KSM-66 Ashwagandha Root – Best Overall
Nutricost KSM-66 Ashwagandha Root is our best overall ashwagandha supplement. One thing that sets this product apart is its use of patented KSM-66. There’s 600mg of patented ashwagandha per serving. This product provides 5% of the active ingredient (withanolides) per capsule.
There’s also 5mg of patented Bioperine black pepper. This aids absorption. Branded ingredients are always higher quality than generic ingredients. One reason is that they use clinical dosing. This product is even better because it’s gluten free and non-GMO. Also, it’s made in a GMP compliant facility.
- Features 600mg Of Patented KSM-66 – 5% Withanolides
- Includes Patented Bioperine Black Pepper To Improve Absorption
- Quality Tested
- Some Users Feel The Capsules Are Hard To Swallow
Nutricost Ashwagandha – Best Value Conscious
Here’s ashwagandha for value-conscious users. Nutricost Ashwagandha is the best value-minded product in this guide. That’s because it comes in a 120 capsule size. Plus, it is only one capsule per serving.
That’s a larger size and smaller serving than the other products in this guide. Like our best overall, this supplies 600mg. One difference is that it has 2.5% withanolides power capsule. Still, this is 3rd party tested for quality. Also, it’s manufactured in a GMP-compliant facility.
- This Is The Best Value In This Guide
- 120 Capsules – Only One Capsule Per Serving
- 600mg Ashwagandha – Contains 2.5% Active Ingredient
- Some Users Have A Difficult Time Swallowing The Capsules
Inner Zen Ashwagandha – Best New Brand
Inner Zen is a newer brand that makes premium quality herbal supplements. As a company, they’ve only been around a few years. Their Ashwagandha provides 1000mg per two capsules. It also contains 5mg of Bioperine Black Pepper for improved absorption.
Like all ashwagandha, Inner Zen helps the body combat stress. As noted, this includes the stress caused by working out. One of the effects of physical stress is excess cortisol release. This is a destructive catabolic hormone. Ashwagandha helps control cortisol. This is an important benefit for anyone exercising at any intensity level.
- Provides 1000mg Per Two Capsule Serving
- High-Quality Ashwagandha Derived From The Whole Plant
- Includes Bioperine For Enhanced Absorption
- Some Users Say The Black Pepper Gives Them Heartburn
Essential Elements Organic Ashwagandha – Best For Vegans
Here’s an organic ashwagandha that’s ideal for vegans. It supplies 1950mg per 3 capsule serving. Essential Elements Organic Ashwagandha also has a large 15mg dose of black pepper. This improves absorption. It’s also gluten-free, dairy-free, and soy-free. Besides the two active ingredients, there’s one other ingredient, vegetable cellulose. This is the ingredient used to make the capsules.
If there’s a downside, the label states 1950mg per serving. It even states it on the front of the bottle. Yet there’s an image in the description that states 1200mg per serving. There’s nothing on the bottle that supports a claim of 1200mg. Nonetheless, it’s suggested to follow the label for dosing and strength per serving.
- Ideal For Vegans
- Organic Formula
- 1950mg Ashwagandha Per Serving
- Confusing Strength Discrepancy Between Description And Label
BulkSupplements.com Ashwagandha Extract – Best Powder
Are you like many users that have a hard time swallowing capsules? BulkSupplements.com Ashwagandha comes in powder form. You can mix this powder with any beverage you prefer. You can drink it by itself. Or, mix it with your smoothie.
The advertised serving is 450mg for ⅕ teaspoon. Yet you can take 2-3 times the suggested serving as desired. The suggested upper limit of ashwagandha is 2 grams per day. The only ingredient is ashwagandha. It’s 3rd party tested for quality. It’s also lab-verified and manufactured to GMP regulations.
- Pure Ashwagandha Powder
- Tested For Quality
- Flexible Dosing
- Some Users Don’t Like The Taste
NutraLife Labs Ashwagandha – Best Blend
Here’s a blend of organic ashwagandha powder and ashwagandha root extract. NutraLife Labs Ashwagandha also contains 8mg of black pepper for absorption. The ashwagandha root in this product contains 2.5% withanolides per 3 capsules. One of the advertised benefits is mood elevation and improved cognitive function.
This is an all-natural product that’s non-GMO and vegan friendly. Like many of the products in this guide, it’s 3rd party tested for quality. Finally, the blend of powder and root creates a maximum strength formula.
- Blend Of Organic Powder And Root Extract
- All Natural
- 3rd Party Tested
- Some Users Don’t Like The Black Pepper Taste
Herb Pharm Certified Organic Ashwagandha Extract – Best Liquid
This is a liquid ashwagandha that you add 2-3 droppers into water or the liquid of your choice. Herb Pharm Certified Organic Ashwagandha Extract contains 833mg per .7ml serving. It’s alcohol-free and certified organic.
It’s fast-absorbing, and it’s vegan-friendly and free of gluten. High performance thin layer chromatography (HPTLC) analysis verifies the guaranteed potency. Further, this product is the #1 liquid herbal brand in the U.S.
- Certified Organic
- Guaranteed Potency
- Easy To Use Liquid Extract
- Some Users Do Not Like The Taste
Organic India Tulsi Ashwagandha Tea – Best Tea
Here’s our pick for the best ashwagandha tea. Organic India Tulsi Ashwagandha Tea combines two ingredients in a 2 gram blend. There’s ashwagandha root and two varieties of holy basil. One of the benefits of holy basil is as an adaptogen.
This ashwagandha tea is USDA certified organic. It’s also non-GMO, and free of gluten. It’s also sugar-free. Plus, tea is another good choice for anyone that doesn’t like capsules.
- Ashwagandha And Holy Basil Blend
- Both Ingredients Act As An Adaptogen
- Certified Organic
- Some Users Don’t Like The Smell
Own Your Wellness Ashwagandha Wellness Complex – Best Ashwagandha Wellness Formula
Here’s a 13-ingredient formula that includes black pepper for absorption. Own Your Wellness Ashwagandha Wellness Complex is a complete stress, focus, and adrenal health product. It’s based around 200 mg of ashwagandha.
There’s also ginseng, tyrosine, rhodiola rosea, holy basil, plus 7 other ingredients. All the ingredients work together to provide several benefits for better health. Finally, this product is GMP certified and contains all-natural ingredients.
- Comprehensive Wellness Formula
- Combats Stress, Enhances Clarity And Eases Adrenal Fatigue
- 12 Ingredients Plus Bioperine For Absorption
- Some Users Feel The Capsules Are Too Large
JOYLI Ashwagandha Gummies – Best Gummy
Gummies have become a popular way of taking your vitamins and nutrients. JOYLI Ashwagandha Gummies are organic and contain zero artificial ingredients. This product has the least amount of sugar compared to other ashwagandha gummies.
Also, it uses organic sugar. JOYLI Ashwagandha Gummies add Vitamins C and D2, plus zinc. One serving equals two gummies, and they are strawberry flavored. There does not appear to be any other available flavors.
- Low Sugar Gummies
- Contains Organic Ingredients – 100% Natural
- Delicious Strawberry Flavor
- Some Users Feel The Color Is Not As Red As Shown In The Description
MuscleTech Test HD Elite – Best For Bodybuilders
You will find ashwagandha, especially the patented KSM-66, in many test boosters. MuscleTech Test HD Elite is our pick as the best for bodybuilders. This formula contains 600mg of KSM-66 Ashwagandha. It’s a complete test-enhancing formula that also includes tribulus, boron, and maca.
Plus, there’s another patented compound, PrimaVie Shilajit. This is a mushroom ingredient that works well with KSM-66. PrimaVie contains 50% fulvic acid, a well-known test-boosting ingredient. Finally, one serving is only 4 capsules. That’s low for a test booster. Many of them are 7-12 capsules per serving.
- Contains 600mg Patented KSM-66
- Contains Other Patented Ingredients
- One Serving Is Only 4 Capsules
- Not For Value-Conscious Bodybuilders
Buying Guide – How To Choose The Best Ashwagandha Supplement
What Is Ashwagandha?
Ashwagandha is an adaptogenic herb. It has an extensive history of use in Ayurvedic medicine. Ashwagandha is one of the more potent restorative herbs. In traditional use, it is considered to have the “strength of the stallion”.
As an adaptogen, it helps the body deal with, or adapt to, stress. This includes emotional stress. The effects of emotional stress are far reaching. It can affect your mental state. It can also affect your physical well-being.
Ashwagandha also helps the body deal with physical stress. This includes intense exercise. As noted, this is important because it inhibits cortisol release. In turn, this supports recovery. You’ll also find that ashwagandha is popular in test booster formulas. This is because by blocking cortisol, testosterone production improves.
What Is Withanolide
This is the active ingredient in Ashwagandha. It’s actually a group of naturally-occurring steroidal lactones. In fact, they are like the active compounds found in ginseng. It comes from the Solanaceae plant. This is a common plant used in Ayurvedic medicine. (1)
What Is KSM-66
This is a patented form of ashwagandha. It’s concentrated and highly bioavailable. Since it’s a patented ingredient, it has been clinically studied. Also, it uses the clinical dose. Finally, it’s higher quality than regular ashwagandha.
Benefits Of Ashwagandha
Here are some of the benefits of ashwagandha:
- Helps You Deal With Stress – As noted, ashwagandha is an adaptogen. It’s popular because of its ability to calm nerves and ease stress. Combatting the long-term effects of stress provides a higher quality of health and well-being.
- Fights Anxiety – This goes hand in hand with stress. Usually, stress relief includes relief from anxiety. A product such as Own Your Wellness Ashwagandha Wellness Complex is a complete formula. It helps the body deal with both anxiety and stress.
- Enhances Natural Energy – Ashwagandha stimulates natural energy. It also improves mental clarity. NutraLife Labs Ashwagandha is an example of a product that promotes this benefit.
- Eases Adrenal Fatigue – Besides stress, one of the causes of adrenal fatigue is stimulant use. This might mean too much caffeine. Also, it can mean too much use of a high-stim pre-workout or energy drink. Ashwagandha eases adrenal fatigue by promoting hormonal balance. This includes the catabolic hormone cortisol. As noted, ashwagandha helps maintain normal levels of cortisol. As a bodybuilder, athlete, or fitness enthusiast, controlling cortisol means you can stay anabolic. Of course, that means you’re in an ideal position for recovery and muscle growth. Controlling cortisol also helps fat loss goals.
- Eases Inflammation – Ashwagandha helps reduce inflammation in the body. This promotes general good health.
- Testosterone Support – Ashwagandha is in many test-boosting formulas. The best example is MuscleTech Test HD Elite. As noted ashwagandha is in many test boosters. This is because of its cortisol controlling benefit. This frees up more testosterone. The testosterone to cortisol ratio measures free testosterone and cortisol levels. By limiting cortisol, more free testosterone is available for use. This includes use for muscle growth. It’s important to mention that free testosterone is what the body uses for “other” functions. This means building muscle. Of the total amount of test that’s used by the body, only 2% is “free”. (3)
What To Consider When Looking For An Ashwagandha Supplement
All Natural Ingredients
When looking for an ashwagandha supplement, always be sure it’s 100% natural. Many products in this guide are organic. One example is Essential Elements Organic Ashwagandha. Some are partially organic. A good example of this is NutraLife Labs Ashwagandha. In this case, one ashwagandha source is organic, the other is not.
Full Disclosure Labeling
As always, avoid prop blends as much as possible when considering an ashwagandha, or any supplement. You want to know what’s in the product you’re buying. There’s no reason to try to guess what the individual doses are.
Quality And Purity
Many products, such as our best overall, Nutricost KSM-66, are manufactured in GMP-compliant facilities. GMP stands for Good Manufacturing Practices. These are guidelines that a manufacturer must meet to ensure premium quality products. These guidelines also ensure the purity of an ashwagandha product. Also, many products, such as both Nutricost formulas, are 3rd party tested. This means they must meet certain quality and purity standards. It also means that it has a verified label potency. (4)
Should You Buy An Ashwagandha Supplement?
Anyone experiencing stress and anxiety can use Ashwagandha. It has become a mainstay in the stacks of bodybuilders, athletes, and fitness enthusiasts. Also, many workers experiencing job-related stress use ashwagandha. Of course, people from all backgrounds experiencing stress will benefit from ashwagandha.
Many bodybuilders will use test boosters that contain ashwagandha. As we have seen with MuscleTech’s formula, the patented KSM-66 is the preferred version.
Some users will take ashwagandha as part of an overall stress formula. The best example of this is Own Your Wellness Ashwagandha Wellness Complex. This product also eases adrenal fatigue. That means heavy caffeine drinkers will benefit from using it. Also, anyone using a high-stim pre-workout should take a break every few weeks. They should also use a product like Ashwagandha Wellness Complex.
How To Use Ashwagandha
Of course, follow all directions provided by the manufacturer. Take the product as directed. Any capsule formula can be taken with your favorite beverage. Ashwagandha can be taken with food if desired. Non capsule versions should be used as directed.
Are you using a test booster such as MuscleTech Test HD Elite? Use it as part of a stack that includes protein powder and a pre-workout. You should also be training intensely and eating a clean diet. Your meals should emphasize quality protein sources.
Nutricost KSM-66 Ashwagandha Root features the patented KSM-66. This form of ashwagandha is clinically tested and uses clinical dosing. It’s the highest quality form of ashwagandha you can buy.
Would you prefer a non-capsule version? BulkSupplements.com Ashwagandha Extract is a powder version that can be mixed with any beverage. Add it to water, your protein powder, pre-workout, or smoothie.
Are you looking for a complete wellness formula? Own Your Wellness Ashwagandha Wellness Complex contains 12 anti-stress ingredients. There’s one more ingredient, Bioperine pepper absorption.
- Ashwagandha: multiple health benefits – ScienceDirect
- KSM-66 Ashwagandha: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, and Dosage – EndurElite
- Dissertation or Thesis | Influence of exercise training on the free testosterone to cortisol ratio | ID: sq87bt69n | Carolina Digital Repository (unc.edu)
- What is GMP | cGMP | Good Manufacturing Practice | ISPE | International Society for Pharmaceutical Engineering