Caffeine pills are a great way to get the energy you need to handle a long day.
Whether you have a mentally challenging day ahead at work or school, or you want more energy for your workout, taking caffeine pills is a fast and easy solution. This is especially true if you drink coffee, but time is not available.
Caffeine pills work quickly, they’re easy to use, and you can take them with you.
This guide will review the best caffeine pills available. Ready to get some energy? Let’s go!
In a Hurry? Here is our top pick:
Best Caffeine Pills
- Kaged Muscle PurCaf® Organic Caffeine – Best Overall
- Nutricost Caffeine Pills 100MG – Best For Versatility
- Vivarin Alertness Aid – Best Mass Retail Brand
- Prolab Advanced Caffeine Tablets – Best Caffeine Blend
- Genius Caffeine – Best For Pre-Workout
- Eu Natural Elite Caffeine – Best For Women
- PEPTIME Energy – Best Potency
- iSatori Energize Extra Strength Caffeine Pills – Best For All-Day Energy
- Firebred Nutrition Elevation Energy – Best Energy Drink Replacement
- UMZU Miracle Morning – Best For Productivity
- Bulk Supplements Caffeine Capsules – Best Bulk Size
- Performance Lab Stim – Best For Mental Focus
- Vali Caffeine & L-Theanine – Best For Smooth Energy
- Smarter Vitamins Caffeine+ – Best Timed Release
Reviews – The Best Caffeine Pills
Kaged Muscle PurCaf® Organic Caffeine – Best Overall
Here’s our pick for the best overall caffeine pills. Kaged Muscle PurCaf® contains 200 mg of natural caffeine from green coffee beans. It’s designed for beginners and advanced users alike.
PurCaf® is a pure caffeine source that provides clean, smooth energy with no jitters or crashes. The veggie capsules contain pure caffeine powder. This is an organic caffeine supplement that’s 3rd party tested for purity and quality.
Kaged Muscle PurCaf® Organic Caffeine features full label transparency. You can see exactly what you’re paying for.
It’s banned substance-free and contains zero artificial ingredients. Finally, it has the Informed Choice and Informed Sport seals.
- Features Organic PurCaf® Caffeine
- One Caffeine Pill Provides 200 mg Of Caffeine
- No Artificial Ingredients
- 3rd Party Tested For Quality And Purity
- A Few Users Find The Capsules Hard To Swallow
Nutricost Caffeine Pills 100 MG – Best For Versatility
Here’s a lower dose caffeine pill that’s the best choice for versatility. Nutricost Caffeine Pills provide 100 mg caffeine per capsule. That’s low enough for users to adjust their caffeine dose to their own needs. The dosage per capsule may be enough for some users. Others may want 2-3 caffeine pills for more energy.
Nutricost Caffeine Pills use caffeine anhydrous. This is a concentrated caffeine source because all the moisture has been removed. This process leaves only dry caffeine powder. It’s pure caffeine, nothing else.
The only other ingredients are a small amount of rice flour and gelatin. This is used to make the capsule. Speaking of capsules, Nutricost Caffeine Pills now use a smaller capsule. This makes it easier to swallow.
Nutricost Caffeine Pills, like all their products, are 3rd party tested, quality-assured, and GMP compliant.
Finally, this is a Climate Pledge Friendly product.
- Flexible 100 mg Caffeine Per Capsule
- Adjust The Dosage To Your Preferences
- 3rd Party Tested – GMP Compliant
- Gluten-Free – Non-GMO
- Some Users Feel The Capsules Are Too Large
Vivarin Alertness Aid – Best Mass Retail Brand
Vivarin Alertness Aid is our pick for the best mass retail caffeine pill. You will find these in any mass retailer. That includes the big-box discounters, drug stores, or grocery stores.
Vivarin caffeine tablets are safe and effective. One tablet provides a good caffeine boost for increased energy levels. In fact, each tablet contains 200 mg of caffeine per pill. That’s as much caffeine as a cup of coffee.
The downside of this product is that it contains artificial ingredients. Since it’s a hard tablet, there are several other ingredients used to make the tablet.
Still, this is an easily accessible and popular product. Plus, caffeine is the only active ingredient.
- You Can Find This Anywhere
- One Caffeine Pill Provides 200 mg Caffeine
- Good Value
- Contains A Lot Of Artificial Inactive Ingredients
Prolab Advanced Caffeine Tablets – Best Caffeine Blend
Here’s our pick for the best caffeine blend. Prolab Advanced Caffeine Tablets combine 5 natural types of caffeine. These include white tea, guarana, kola nut, green coffee beans, and green tea. These compounds combine to provide a pure caffeine source.
One tablet provides 200 mg caffeine. There’s also 55 mg of Chocamine® Plus cocoa extract. This is a natural stimulant that contains theobromine. This has stimulant properties and helps smooth caffeine’s effects. Also, it provides the health effects of chocolate without sugar or artificial sweeteners.
This is one of the better caffeine supplements for weight loss, mental focus, and physical performance.
If there’s a downside, there are a lot of ingredients needed to make the hard tablets. Still, there are no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
- Contains 200 mg Caffeine Per Serving
- Uses 5 Natural Caffeine Sources
- Also Contains Patented Cocoa Extract
- Supports Weight Loss, Focus, And Performance
- Some Users Feel There’s A Bad Aftertaste
Genius Caffeine – Best For Pre-Workout
Genius Caffeine is a clean, extended-release caffeine supplement. It’s our pick for the best caffeine pills to use before a workout for improved athletic performance.
Since it’s an extended-release caffeine pill, it will last throughout your training session. This means you can work out with no crash. Also, the smooth energy does not cause jitters. Use this alone or with the stim-free pre-workout of your choice.
Caffeine acts as a thermogenic which helps you burn calories. You can also use it with a stim-free fat burner for improved weight loss. Add BCAAs and additional amino acids for muscle preservation while you lose weight.
Genius Caffeine contains 100 mg pure caffeine from 167 mg of NEWCAFF™ microencapsulated ER Caffeine. The only other ingredients are what’s used to make the capsule. There are no artificial ingredients.
- Extended-Release Caffeine
- Ideal For Pre-Workout Use – Won’t Cause A Crash
- Helps Burn Calories For Weight Loss
- There’s No Artificial Ingredients
- One Serving May Be Too Weak For Some Users
Eu Natural Elite Caffeine – Best For Women
Here’s our pick for the best caffeine pills for women. Eu Natural Elite Caffeine supplies 100 mg of pure caffeine and 200 mg of pure l-theanine. As noted, theanine helps offset the potentially harsh effects of caffeine. The combination of a lower dose and smoother energy are two benefits for women.
This is one of the caffeine supplements that also advertises nootropic benefits. The caffeine and theanine combo is common and known to improve cognitive function and performance.
This formula does not contain binders, fillers, or artificial ingredients. If there’s a downside, there’s no listing of the caffeine source.
Still, this is a good formula that is 3rd party tested. It’s also manufactured in an FDA-registered facility.
- Good Balance Of Caffeine And L-Theanine
- 100 mg Caffeine Per Serving
- No Artificial Ingredients
- No Fillers Or Binders
- Does Not List The Source Of Caffeine
PEPTIME Energy – Best Potency
These are the strongest caffeine pills in our guide. PEPTIME Energy supplies 350 mg caffeine per serving. There are also vitamins B6 and B12.
This is a two-tablet serving so you can adjust the dosage if need be. Take one or two for the day. Or take one now and another one later. The FDA suggests no more than 400 mg caffeine at one time.
PEPTIME Energy is one of the caffeine supplements that advertise its usefulness for weight loss. Like any other product in this guide, you can add this to your fat loss program.
Also, it’s helpful for improved mental focus and physical performance.
PEPTIME competes with the drugstore and gas station brands. That includes the popular energy shots. This product is as strong or stronger than any of them.
If there’s a downside, this product displays little information. There’s no listed caffeine source. This is true for both the Amazon description and the company website. Still, this is the strongest caffeine pill available.
- 350 mg Per Two Tablet Serving
- Includes Several Vitamin B’s
- This Dose Is Within FDA Recommendations For Caffeine Supplements
- You Can Divide Up the Dose As Desired
- Some Users Feel The Tablets Have A Bad Aftertaste
iSatori Energize Extra Strength Caffeine Pills – Best For All-Day Energy
iSatori Energize is not like the other caffeine pills in this guide. One of the best caffeinated dietary supplements on the market, it’s a total energy and cognitive formula.
Also, it’s available in different strengths. The yellow and red label is their extra-strength version.
iSatori Energize is our pick for the best caffeine pills for all-day energy. There’s both fast-acting and delayed-release caffeine for extended energy.
The fast-acting caffeine is naturally sourced from Coffea arabica. The slower-acting caffeine is zümXR® Delayed-Release Caffeine.
This product has a total caffeine content of 276 mg. One benefit of this form is that it won’t increase blood pressure. Another benefit of an extended-release caffeine supplement like this is that it helps prevent possible caffeine overdose.
iSatori Energize also contains tyrosine and B vitamins. This is important because caffeine depletes the water-soluble B’s. The B complex is needed for cellular energy and stress relief.
These are more than just simple caffeinated pills. iSatori makes four different caffeine supplements with the “Energize” name. One of these includes ingredients that stimulate brain chemicals, such as epinephrine and norepinephrine.
One downside is that everything is a prop blend. There’s no potency breakdown between the two forms of caffeine.
Still, this is one of the best caffeine formulas available. It will provide long-lasting energy and cognitive benefits.
- Two Forms Of Caffeine For Fast And Slow Digestion
- Won’t Increase Blood Pressure
- 276 mg Total Caffeine
- Four Different Formulas
- Uses A Prop Blend
Firebred Nutrition Elevation Energy – Best Energy Drink Replacement
Here’s one of the best caffeine supplements to replace those sugar-loaded energy drinks. Firebred Nutrition Elevation Energy contains 100 mg caffeine anhydrous per serving. One serving equals one capsule.
This product also contains B-vitamins, taurine, acai, ginseng, and huperzine. It’s a complete formula that increases energy and improves focus. It also combats stress and eases mental fatigue.
As well, it’s helpful for weight loss and improved stamina while you restrict calories. Plus, caffeine has thermogenic properties that help you burn fat faster.
Finally, Elevation Energy contains anti-aging ingredients. This is one of the best caffeine supplements for multiple benefits. Use it instead of the high sugar, cough-syrupy tasting drinks.
- Contains 100 mg Caffeine Per Capsule
- Also Includes B Vitamins And Much More
- Provides Multiple Benefits
- No Artificial Ingredients
- Users With High Caffeine Tolerance May Not Experience Enough Energy
UMZU Miracle Morning – Best For Productivity
Is productivity a key part of your day? Then UMZU Miracle Morning is the best caffeine pill for you. This formula provides 150 mg of PurCaf® Caffeine plus TeaCrine® theacrine. There’s also regular l-theanine and guarana.
This combination provides smooth, clean energy. There’s no crash, no jitters, and guarana has antioxidant benefits. It improves focus and enhances your mood. This leads to a more productive day at work or school.
You can also use UMZU to improve your workout. Take it with your pump pre-workout for energy, focus, and pumps.
Finally, there are no artificial ingredients.
- Combines PurCaf® Caffeine With Guarana And Two Forms Of L-Theanine
- 150 mg PurCaf – Guarana Is Also A Natural Caffeine Source
- There Are No Artificial Ingredients
- There’s No Breakdown Of The Caffeine Content
Bulk Supplements Caffeine Capsules – Best Bulk Size
There are 300 caffeine pills in one bag of Bulk Supplements Caffeine Capsules. No wonder it’s our pick for the best caffeine pills in bulk size. Each caffeine pill supplies 200 mg caffeine anhydrous which is a dry caffeine powder with no moisture.
This product, like all caffeine supplements, helps burn fat, increase energy levels, and enhance athletic performance.
Depending on the brand, certain caffeine pills advertise different benefits. This dietary supplement advertises diuretic benefits. Of course, that will be true of any of the products in this guide.
Bulk Supplements Caffeine Capsules are 3rd party tested and lab-verified. This caffeine supplement also meets all cGMP standards and is inspected for quality and purity.
There are no other ingredients and this product contains zero sugar, dairy, or gluten.
- Bulk Size – 300 Caffeine Pills Per Container
- Increases Energy Levels
- Supports Weight Loss
- Lab Tested
- Some Users Feel The Caffeine Capsules Don’t Dissolve Completely
Performance Lab Stim – Best For Mental Focus
Formerly known as Performance Lab Stim, this product provides a caffeinated energy boost, mental alertness, and mental focus.
There are four B vitamins and l-theanine. You may sometimes experience the adverse effects of caffeine. And the l-theanine helps to reduce such caffeine-induced stress.
Performance Lab Stim also has tyrosine for increased cognitive performance and mental focus.
Each capsule contains 50 mg caffeine, so some users may wish to use more. The advantage here is that you control your caffeine intake.
Performance Lab uses patented ingredients (NutriCap® and NutriGenesis®) with nothing artificial added.
Finally, Performance Lab Stim changed its name to Caffeine+. When shopping for this product, you may encounter both names: Performance Lab Stim and Performance Lab Caffeine+. They are the same formula. You can feel confident buying either.
- Performance Lab Stim And Performance Lab Caffeine+ Is The Same Product
- Includes L-Theanine, L-Tyrosine, And B Vitamins
- Features Patented Ingredients
- This Performance Lab Product Won’t Last Long If Users Take More Than One Capsule Per Day
Vali Caffeine & L-Theanine – Best For Smooth Energy
Here’s a caffeine supplement that combines 50 mg of caffeine and 100 mg of l-theanine. Vali Caffeine & L-Theanine contains no other ingredients. These caffeine pills provide clean, smooth energy. That’s because this combo eases any potential adverse effects. Also, this combo is a popular nootropic stack that supports mental performance and mental alertness.
Like Performance Lab Stim (or Caffeine+), this is another product that allows flexible caffeine intake. You control exactly how much caffeine you’re getting.
One advantage of this product is that there are 120 capsules. That’s compared to 30 capsules in the Performance Lab product. You’ll get a lot more servings from Vali Caffeine. That means you can take more. How many pills you take a day is up to you.
Finally, Vali Caffeine is vegetarian and vegan friendly. It’s also 3rd party tested for purity and quality.
- Improves Cognitive Performance
- 50 mg Per Capsule – You Control Your Caffeine Consumption
- Vegan – non-GMO – Lab Tested
- Some Users Have Difficulty Swallowing These Capsules
Smarter Vitamins Caffeine+ – Best Timed Release
Here’s a caffeine supplement that’s timed released for extended yet controlled energy production.
Smarter Vitamins Caffeine+ claims to be cleaner and smoother than energy drinks. It also claims to be more effective than drinking coffee. That’s quite an energy boost!
As mentioned, timed-release caffeine won’t increase your blood pressure. You’ll experience constant energy that lasts for hours.
Smarter Vitamins Caffeine+ contains 200 mg caffeine, 100 mg l-theanine, and 500 mg MCT oil. That’s an interesting combination. MCT oil is included because it provides quick energy from coconuts.
Finally, Smarter Vitamins Caffeine+ contains zero fillers or preservatives. There are also no artificial colors.
- Time Release Caffeine Capsules
- Better Than Drinking Coffee Or Energy Drinks
- Includes MCT Oil
- There May Be Too Much Caffeine For Some Users
Buying Guide – How To Choose The Best Caffeine Pills?
What Are Caffeine Pills?
You might think this is self-explanatory. Yet, there are so many types of caffeine available that this is not a simple answer.
Most people think of coffee when they think of caffeine. That’s not surprising. Coffee is one of the most popular caffeinated beverages in the world. There’s also tea and energy drinks.
Caffeine in pill form is an easier way to get your energy kick. It’s a better solution if you’re in a hurry. It’s also a better solution if you aren’t able to enjoy your morning cup of coffee.
Caffeine pills come in two types. (1) Let’s look at each one:
Natural caffeine is the type of caffeine found in foods or beverages like coffee. There are several sources of natural caffeine. These include green tea, green coffee beans, guarana, kola nut, and yerba mate.
This is made synthetically in a lab. The most well-known synthetic caffeine is caffeine anhydrous. We will define the most common types of natural and synthetic caffeine used in pills below.
Types Of Caffeine
Caffeine – This is a very common stimulant. Caffeine increases energy and alertness. (2) Many of the pills in this guide utilize different forms of caffeine.
Here’s a look at the types of caffeine you’ll find in most caffeine pills:
- Caffeine Anhydrous – As noted, this is synthetic caffeine. The manufacturing process extracts the moisture from the caffeine. This leaves a concentrated dry powder. This is one of the most widely used forms of caffeine. You will find this in pills, energy drinks, and pre-workouts.
- PureCaf® Organic Caffeine – This is a source that’s extracted from green coffee beans. It creates a pure, water-soluble powder that is then used in supplements. (3)
- Infinergy™ Dicaffeine Malate – This is a branded ingredient that blends malic acid with caffeine. This combination slows the absorption of caffeine. That means no jitters and no crash. This ingredient is 75% caffeine and 25% malic acid. (4)
- NEWCAFF™ Extended-Release Caffeine – This is a sustained release of caffeine that uses a special delivery system. It’s designed to hide any bitter aftertaste. (5)
- zümXR® Delayed-Release Caffeine – This is another patented caffeine source. There are different versions of this. In the case of iSatori Energize Extra Strength, there is a one-hour delayed release of caffeine. This product also has an instant release type of caffeine. This combination creates a longer-lasting energy effect. (6)
- Green Coffee Beans – These are coffee beans that are not roasted. The beans have a natural compound called chlorogenic acid. This compound has many health benefits. There are patented versions of this as well as regular versions.
- Guarana – This plant is popular in South America. It’s a natural source of caffeine. It’s said that guarana contains 22% caffeine.
- Yerba Mate – This is another herb also from South America. It’s also a natural source of caffeine. The tea version is one of the most popular caffeinated drinks in the world.
- Kola Nut – This is a source of caffeine that’s from the evergreen tree. This is popular as an edible caffeine source. It’s also used in carbonated soft drinks.
- Green Tea – This popular ingredient contains caffeine as well as the antioxidant EGCG. You will find this form in quite a few different products. It’s a popular source in many caffeine pills.
The Benefits Of Caffeine Pills
Here are the primary benefits of caffeine in general and pills in particular.
- Increases Energy – No doubt caffeine is very popular for energy. It stimulates the Central Nervous System and increases brain activity. (7) It’s worthwhile to note that this is not the same as cellular energy. The body converts food into energy. This is used, among other things, to fuel muscular contractions.
- Enhances Focus And Alertness – Along with energy stimulation, caffeine improves mental alertness and focus.
- Improves Concentration – By stimulating brain activity, caffeine improves your ability to concentrate on the task at hand. This relates to the mind-muscle connection that’s so important to working out. It also relates to improved productivity at work or school. A good example of a product like this is UMZU Morning Miracle.
- Stimulates Thermogenesis – Caffeine has been shown to stimulate thermogenesis. This is an important benefit for fat loss. (8)
- Improves Exercise Performance – Some research shows that caffeine improves exercise performance. This is true for both endurance exercise and strength training. More research needs to be done. Yet it’s clear that caffeine can improve workout quality. Genius Caffeine is a good example of this type of product. (9)
- Caffeine pills provide convenience over other caffeine sources. They are easy to use. Plus, they can go with you wherever you’re going.
What To Consider When Looking For A Caffeine Pill
Caffeine pills are pretty simple, such as Nutricost Caffeine Pills. Vivarin is another simple example. These products are mainly just caffeine.
Do you want more specialized results? There are several formulas in our guide you should consider.
These products will have additional benefits. This includes increased focus and productivity. The best example of this is UMZU Miracle Morning.
Then there’s the extended, all-day energy of iSatori Energize Extra Strength. Also, there’s the complete cognitive experience of Firebred Elevation Energy.
Are Caffeine Pills Safe – Side Effects Of Caffeine
As noted, the FDA suggests no more than 400 mg of caffeine at one time. There are quite a few caffeine choices on the market, from pills to pre-workouts. With that in mind, it’s important to be mindful of how much you take at one time.
Are caffeine pills bad for you? Only if you abuse them. Here are some of the side effects caused by abusing caffeine:
- Frequent Urination
- Increased Heartbeat
- Muscle Tremors Or Jitters
Be mindful of all caffeine sources you’re taking besides caffeine pills. Also, remember caffeine takes a few hours to wear off. (10)
Do You Need To Avoid Caffeine Supplements?
It goes without saying that children should avoid caffeine. Most physicians advise low to no caffeine for pregnant women.
Also, if you are sensitive to stimulants or suffer from anxiety, you should limit or avoid caffeine.
Dosage And Use
Of course, you should follow all label directions before using caffeine pills. You can use them just like you would coffee. That means take 1-2 pills in the morning. You can use caffeine pills before a workout.
If you’re using a high caffeine pre-workout, first you need to determine your tolerance. Do this by taking half a serving. Once you have seen how you react, you can move up to a full serving.
Another point to remember is to limit other caffeine sources if you’re taking a strong pre-workout. Finally, mix it with plenty of water. This helps prevent gastric disturbances.
Also, take 1-2 pills if you work a late shift or have a long day at work or school. Dividing your intake over the day is a safer method.
Finally, it’s also smart to avoid caffeine in the hours before bedtime.
How Much Is Too Much Caffeine?
It’s easy to find a pre-workout with well over 400 mg caffeine per serving. Many of them combine high caffeine doses with other stims.
It’s smarter to keep your caffeine dose around 300 mg and choose a pre-workout with additional stims to enhance energy.
If you use a product with caffeine and no other stims, try to stay at or below 400 mg at any one time.
Finally, limit coffee. Certainly, enjoy a few cups. Yet anything over 5-6 cups is a lot of caffeine!
If you want a caffeine supplement that provides smooth and clean energy, you could check out Kaged Muscle PurCaf® Organic Caffeine. It features 200 mg per serving. Plus, it’s 3rd party tested for quality and purity.
Do you want the strongest dose of caffeine possible? Then PEPTIME Energy is the choice for you. One serving provides 350 mg caffeine. There’s also B12 and B6. That’s the entire formula, simple but effective.
Do you need optimal productivity for work or school? Then UMZU Miracle Morning is the best choice. This product is a four-ingredient formula designed to improve focus, alertness, and mood. This, in turn, will make you more productive.
As you can see, these pills range from only containing caffeine to a complete cognitive formula. The best caffeine pills are the ones that fit your tolerance and needs the most. Let’s get energized!
- Natural Caffeine: Overview, Sources, and Types (healthline.com)
- PurCaf – Organic Caffeine [Bulk Ingredient] (appliedfoods.com)
- Creative Compounds
- Branded Ingredients | NewCaff (Lipofoods) (branded-ingredients.com)
- Supplements — zümXR (zumxr.com)
- Caffeine – Better Health Channel
- Astrup, A, et al; “Caffeine: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study of its thermogenic, metabolic, and cardiovascular effects in healthy volunteers”; Am J Clin Nutr; 51(5):759-67; 1990; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2333832
- How Caffeine Improves Exercise Performance (healthline.com)
- Caffeine: How much is too much? – Mayo Clinic