If you don’t have a lot of exercise space but want to work out at home, a compact treadmill is the way to go.
Compact treadmills deliver the performance you want at the size you need. The other advantage of a compact treadmill is that it can fold up for easy moving.
No matter how small your exercise area is, there’s a treadmill that will work for you. This guide will review the best compact treadmills available.
Ready? Let’s check them out!
In a Hurry? Here is our top pick
Best Compact Treadmills
- NordicTrack T Series 6.5S – Best Overall Compact Treadmill
- Sunny Health & Fitness SF-T7945 Walkstation Treadmill – Best Underdesk Compact Treadmill
- Goplus 2 in 1 Folding Treadmill – Best 2-In-1 Folding Treadmill
- LifePro Electrostride Compact Folding Treadmill – Best Warranty
- MaxKare Foldable Treadmill – Best Hydraulic Drop System
- Sunny Health & Fitness SF-T7971 Slim Folding Treadmill – Best Combo Compact Treadmill
- Xterra Fitness TR150 Folding Treadmill – Best For Taller Users
- Merax Electric Folding Treadmill – Best Deck Surface
- SereneLife Smart Electric Folding Treadmill – Best Budget Compact Treadmill
- Wekeep Folding Portable Treadmill – Best For A Small Apartment
Reviews – The 10 Best Compact Treadmills
1. NordicTrack T Series 6.5S – Best Overall Compact Treadmill
The Nordic Track T Series 6.5S features a space-saving, folding design. It has a user weight limit of 300lbs. The deck has a 10% incline with easy one-touch control, and cushioning to protect your joints
The Nordic Track comes with a one-month free membership to iFit. This is a hi-tech interactive personal training program that lets you engage in trainer-led live, studio, and global workouts.
Also, the iFit personal trainer can auto-adjust your speed and incline level via Bluetooth.
Finally, there’s an auxiliary music port with dual 2-inch speakers. There’s a 10-year warranty on the frame and 2 years on parts. These features make the T Series 6.5S the best overall compact treadmill.
- Includes One Month Free iFit Membership
- Cushioned Deck For Joint Comfort
- Compact Design Folds For Easy Storage
- iFit Membership Requires Users Credit Card Information
2. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-T7945 Walkstation Treadmill – Best Underdesk Compact Treadmill
The Sunny Health 7 Fitness SF-T7945 Walkstation is an underdesk design that’s compact enough to fit anywhere.
It has a sturdy frame and a 220lb user capacity. There are no handles on a design like this, so it may not be the best choice for beginners.
The SF-T7945 has a compact deck with a 14” x 5” monitor built into the front part of the unit.
All you need to do to track your performance stats is look down. It has a remote control for easy operation, and an emergency stop clip for user safety.
This compact treadmill also has transport wheels for easy storage. There’s a 3-year warranty on the frame and 180 days on parts.
- Compact Underdesk Design
- Large Easy To Read Monitor
- Includes A Remote Control
- Some Users Feel It Is Not A Good Choice For Jogging Or Running
3. Goplus 2 in 1 Folding Treadmill – Best 2-In-1 Folding Treadmill
The Goplus is a compact, lightweight 2-in-1 treadmill. You can fold down the handle and it becomes an underdesk treadmill, fold the handle back up, and it’s a typical treadmill.
The Goplus is designed to be quiet, and it also has a shock absorption system that supports users’ joints.
There’s a LED display that tracks your exercise data, and it has Bluetooth so you can connect your smart device and listen to music.
It also has a remote control for easy operation, and a safety clip in case you need to stop quickly.
The fact that it folds and has transport wheels makes it easy to move into another area for storage.
These features make the Golpus the best 2-in-1 compact treadmill.
- Folding 2 In 1 Design
- Features Shock Absorption System For Joint Support
- Remote Control Included
- One-year Warranty
- The Handles Are Screwed On, Therefore Cannot Be Easily Removed If Space is A Major Concern
4. LifePro Electrostride Compact Folding Treadmill – Best Warranty
The LifePro is a compact treadmill that folds up to a thickness of 5.5”. This makes it very easy to store almost anywhere.
This treadmill has a telescoping handrail and holds a user weight of up to 200lbs. It has Bluetooth connectivity so you can use your smart device and connect to your favorite fitness apps.
It has a LED display that tracks your workout info, and there are 39 preset training programs.
You can use the built-in handrail controls to adjust the treadmill as needed even while you’re working out. The handrails also have heart rate monitors built-in.
One feature that sets the LifePro apart is a lifetime warranty, this is the best warranty of any treadmill in this guide.
- Folds To A Compact 5.5” Thick
- Features Bluetooth Connectivity
- There Are 39 Built-In Training Programs
- The 200lb Max User Weight Will Not Be Enough For Some Users
5. MaxKare Foldable Treadmill – Best Hydraulic Drop System
Here’s a treadmill with 3 manually adjustable inclines, a shock-absorbing deck, and quiet operation.
It has a max user weight of 220lbs.
It has a safe and easy to use “Soft-Drop” system that allows the treadmill to fold up or down and lock in place.
There’s a large LCD that uses white light and includes 15 pre-set exercise programs, and it tracks your exercise stats. It also has transport wheels for easy moving.
- Features A Soft-Drop System That Makes Folding Easy
- There Are 15 Pre-Set Training Programs
- The Controls Are Built Into The Handrails
- Not As Compact When Folded Compared To Other Treadmills In This Guide
- There Does Not Appear To Be A Warranty
6. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-T7971 Slim Folding Treadmill – Best Combo Compact Treadmill
The SF-T7971 has trekking handles, these are single-arm handlebars that look like ski poles. They allow you to work your upper body while using the treadmill.
They are foldable, so you use the treadmill with or without the handles. However, the controls are built into the handles. Fold them down and the SF-T7971 can be used as an underdesk treadmill.
These features make the SF-T7971 the best combo treadmill. It folds up or down hydraulically making folding completely hands free.
This treadmill features a large LCD with white light that tracks your info, a remote control, and a safety clip. It has a 3-year warranty on the frame and 180 days on parts.
Also, it comes fully assembled, just take it out and start walking!
- Use It With Or Without Trek Handles
- Folds Hydraulically
- Includes A Remote Control
- No Max User Weight Listed – Further Research Suggests 220lbs.
7. Xterra Fitness TR150 Folding Treadmill – Best For Taller Users
The Xterra TR150 is a little larger than some of the other treadmills on this list yet it’s still a compact design. This treadmill has a large cushioned running surface making it the best choice for taller users.
The Xterra features a sturdy steel frame, and it can hold users up to 250lbs. It has 3 incline settings and a 5” display that tracks your data.
There are 12 pre-set workout programs, and heart rate monitors in the handles. It folds and has wheels so you can move it easily.
Finally, there’s a lifetime warranty on the frame, and a 1 year on parts.
- Features Heavy Duty Steel Construction
- Large Walking/Running Surface That’s Ideal For Taller Users
- There Are 12 Pre-Set Workout Programs
- May Be Too Big For Some Users Available Space
8. Merax Electric Folding Treadmill – Best Deck Surface
The Merax Electric Folding Treadmill features a compact design that folds for moving and storage. It has wheels to make moving easy, and it’s small enough to store under your bed.
The deck has a unique grass-like texture to prevent slipping. This is an exclusive feature that makes it the best deck surface of any compact treadmill.
This treadmill has an easy to read LCD with speakers so you can plug in your smart device and listen to music. There are 12 built-in programs, and it tracks your exercise data.
The weight capacity is 240lbs, and it’s designed for smooth, quiet operation.
- Features Exclusive Grass-Like Deck Texture To Avoid Slipping
- Includes Built-In Speakers – Plug In Your Device So You Can Listen To Music
- Folds & Moves Easily
- May Not Be Ideal For Taller Users
- No Warranty Listed – Further Research Suggests A 3-Year Warranty
9. SereneLife Smart Electric Folding Treadmill – Best Budget Compact Treadmill
The SereneLife Smart Treadmill boasts a compact design and a hydraulic lift that folds the treadmill hands free.
It has a max user weight of 265lbs. There are 3 incline levels, a magazine rack, and a cup holder.
You can use Bluetooth to connect your smart device to the Fit Show app, which records your exercise data. It also displays it for your review, and you can challenge friends as well as share the data on social media.
There are also 12 pre-set programs and a safety key.
All these features are available at a great price point, making this the best budget compact treadmill.
- Compact Design & Hydraulic Lift For Easy Handling
- 3 Incline Levels
- Includes 12 Pre-Set Programs
- May Be Too Noisy For Some Users
- No Listed Warranty – Further Research Suggests A 1-Year Warranty
10. Wekeep Folding Portable Treadmill – Best For A Small Apartment
The Wekeep Folding Portable Treadmill features a 3-second automatic fold up or down design.
It’s compact enough to be stored under your couch or bed, making this the best treadmill for a smaller apartment. It does not require assembly, so you can begin exercising right away.
This treadmill operates quietly due to its shock-absorbing technology, which also provides support to the joints.
There’s a multi-function LED that tracks your exercise data, and it has Bluetooth connectivity so you can connect to the APP, which allows users to view and share their data.
There are 6 program settings, and users can stimulate different types of terrain.
This treadmill also has a photoelectric heart rate detection system. The user weight on this treadmill is 264lbs, and it has a 1-year warranty.
- It Only Takes 3 Seconds To Automatically Fold Up Or Down
- Features Shock Absorption Technology That Supports Joints & Provides Quiet Operation
- No Assembly Required
- Some Users Feel The Materials Are Poor Quality
Buying Guide – How To Choose The Best Compact Treadmill?
How To Choose A Compact Treadmill
The first consideration in choosing a compact treadmill should be defining exactly what a compact treadmill is.
For our purposes, it should have a deck that’s no more than 60” in length, preferably less. It should also have a relatively small footprint (approximately 36” x 75”), and of course it needs to fold up and store in a small area.
As noted above, the deck should be no longer than 60”. The width will vary depending on the brand. Of course, a small deck may make running difficult for some users.
To be honest, a compact treadmill will be hard to run on. If you’d rather run than walk, you’ll want a 60” length and a solid 20” width, such as the Xterra Fitness TR150 Folding Treadmill. However, you can get by with a smaller deck if you’re short.
Motor strength is also important. Treadmill motor strength is measured in CHP or Continuous HorsePower. Most compact treadmills have motors in the 2.0 to 4.0 range. If you want to run on your treadmill, you need a strong motor. Otherwise, the motor that comes with your chosen treadmill will work fine.
Even though your treadmill is compact, it still has to be easy to move. Many of the treadmills in our guide use a hydraulic lift system for easier folding.
This is a good idea and means that you don’t have to lower it manually. Most of our choices also have transport wheels for easy moving, and some have handles that fold down, making it even easier to move.
There are a few underdesk models on our list, and these are meant to be portable, some users take them to work so they can get in some exercise right at their desk. The primary thing that sets an underdesk treadmill apart is that there are either no handles, or the handles fold down.
Most compact treadmills will have a 5” display, but there are a few that go up to 7”. The differences among display screens become apparent when you look at the tech options.
Some treadmills have workout apps such as iFit. This allows the user to engage in live, studio, and global workouts and interact with personal trainers.
Some have Bluetooth connectivity so users can use the workout app of their choice. In this case, you will have to use your iPad or smart device to download workout apps. Most treadmills have built-in workout programs, and they all track basic exercise performance.
Accessories include such things as water bottle holders, speakers so you can listen to music, and in some cases a magazine rack.
Always a primary factor, your budget determines the quality and features of your compact treadmill. Having said that, our best budget option, the SereneLife Smart Treadmill, has features that you would expect on one that costs more. Don’t settle for less, make sure you get the biggest possible bang for your buck.
Always check the warranty before buying. The best warranties are a clear reflection of the treadmill’s quality. Always get the best warranty you can!
A compact treadmill is a great choice for exercise equipment if you have limited space. Our best overall is the NordicTrack T Series 6.5S. The outstanding feature of this treadmill is the iFit app that allows users to take part in the live, studio and global workouts. These workouts are led by personal trainers. The iFit app creates a very engaging workout experience.
If you’re on a tight budget, you’ll want the feature-rich SereneLife Smart Electric Folding Treadmill. This compact treadmill has a fit app, 12 pre-set programs, and a hydraulic-assisted fold-down feature.
Worried about your upper body? The Sunny Health & Fitness SF-T7971 Slim Folding Treadmill has trek handles, which are like ski poles and allow you to work your arms and upper body while you walk or jog. You can also use the treadmill without the handles.
As you can see, there’s a compact treadmill that fits anyone’s needs. The best choice is up to you!