Intense CrossFit workouts combine several different types of training. Not to mention, workouts are done every day.
Regardless of your WOD, you need CrossFit clothes that fit. Specifically, you need shorts that can take a beating and won’t get in the way.
In this guide, we’ll look at the best CrossFit shorts available. Don’t start your WOD until you’ve checked it out!
In a Hurry? Here is our top pick:
Quick Answer – The Best CrossFit Shorts
- Clinch Gear Performance CrossFit Shorts – Best Overall
- TBMPOY Men’s Sports Shorts – Best Value For Men
- Reebok CrossFit Board Shorts – Best For Range Of Motion
- Anthem Athletics Hyperflex Cross-Training Shorts – Best Upgrades
- Tough Mode Apparel Men’s CrossFit Shorts – Best For Men With Athletic Builds
- MAVA Shorts – Best Men’s Compression CrossFit Shorts
- Under Armour Men’s Raid Gym Shorts – Best Temperature Control For Men
- WarriorXGear Pro WOD Performance Shorts – Best Stretch For Men
- Tough Mode Apparel Women’s CrossFit Shorts – Best CrossFit Shorts For Women
- Reebok Women’s CrossFit Knit Woven Shorts – Best Fit For Women
- Epic MMA Gear WOD Women’s Booty Shorts – Best Short Inseam
- Rogue WOD Gear Clothing Wide Band Booty Shorts – Best Durability
- Under Armour Women’s HeatGear Middy Shorts – Best Temperature Control For Women
- Adidas Women’s Techfit Shorts – Best Value For Women
Reviews – The Best CrossFit Shorts
The Best Men’s CrossFit Shorts
1. Clinch Gear Performance CrossFit Shorts – Best Overall
Here’s our pick for best men’s overall. They’re also excellent MMA shorts.
This great pair of CrossFit shorts feature SuperStretch 360-degree side panels that stretch with you while training.
Clinch Gear Performance CrossFit Shorts feature suede microfiber that’s a moisture and sweat-wicking material. It’s an ultra-soft lightweight fabric that makes these shorts some of the lightest available.
These durable shorts also use triple-reinforced stitching. Finally, the patented waistband has a hook and loop closure system with a double grip for a secure fit.
- Durable & Flexible
- Patented Waistband
- Some Users Feel The Sizes Run Small
2. TBMPOY Men’s Sports Shorts – Best Value For Men
These CrossFit shorts for men use an elastic material that stretches with your movements. TBMPOY Men’s Sports Shorts are durable and lightweight.
Plus, they feature a draw-string-style closure. Also, there are zippered front pockets and a zippered back pocket.
TBMPOY Men’s Sports Shorts are quick-drying and provide good sun protection. Also, they use flat seams to protect the skin. Wear them for casual wear, when you work out, or for any activity, inside or outside.
Finally, TBMPOY Shorts are designed specifically to fit anyone’s budget. That makes them the best for value.
- Comfortable Fit
- Durable And Lightweight
- Features Zippered Pockets
- Some Users Don’t Like The Fit
3. Reebok CrossFit Board Shorts – Best For Range Of Motion
Here’s a pair of Reebok CrossFit shorts for men that stretch with all your athletic movements. Reebok CrossFit Board Shorts have a gusseted crotch for endurance and range of motion.
The fabric is lightweight, they will wick sweat and moisture. There’s an elastic waist with a built-in drawstring for a comfortable fit. Plus, there is an anti-microbial inner brief.
Also, there is a key pocket to store small items. Finally, graphics run along the seams to highlight the style.
- Lightweight, Sweat-Wicking Material
- Moves With You While Training
- Built For Endurance
- Some Feel The Sizes Run Small
4. Anthem Athletics Hyperflex Cross-Training Shorts – Best Upgrades
Anthem Athletics Hyperflex Cross-Training Shorts have a functional, athletic fit. Like many of the shorts in this guide, they are made of stretchable fabric.
Additionally, they have recently upgraded zippers. Currently, Anthem Athletics uses premium YKK zippers only.
Another feature is deep zippered pockets to hold your valuables. The pockets are wider to keep your items out of the way while you train.
These shorts feature non-fraying draw-string closure and flat seam stitching.
Anthem Athletics has improved the functionality of its shorts. This makes them the best CrossFit shorts for men with new upgrades.
- Several Upgraded Design Features
- Stretches With Your CrossFit Movements
- Anti-Fray Draw-String Closure
- Some Users Don’t Like The Material
5. Tough Mode Apparel Men’s CrossFit Shorts – Best For Men With Athletic Builds
Tough Mode Apparel Men’s CrossFit Shorts for men consist of highly durable polyester and spandex fabric. They have a comfortable, slim fit, and stretch as you move. Plus, these are the best shorts to show off your athletic build.
Besides CrossFit, they work well for MMA shorts, bodybuilding, and running.
There’s a drawstring waist. Plus, there is a special locking zipper mechanism to avoid any potential injuries while you train.
The Tough Mode Apparel Men’s Shorts also have a shorter inseam. This allows a full range of motion as you train. Finally, the pattern and fit are made to show off your lower body shape.
- Made Of Spandex & Polyester
- Comfortable Fit
- Locking Zippers
- These Shorts Do Not Fit Well If You Don’t Have An Athletic Build
6. MAVA Shorts – Best Men’s Compression CrossFit Shorts
If you’re looking for targeted compression shorts, these are the best CrossFit shorts for men. MAVA Men’s Compression Shorts support upper leg muscles and reduce fatigue while you work out.
Also, they improve circulation. This provides more oxygen to your working muscles. Plus, they allow you to warm up faster. Finally, they improve power output.
MAVA Shorts also help prevent soreness. These shorts use breathable, quick-drying material that’s sweat and moisture-wicking.
You can wear these as a base layer or as regular training shorts.
- Targeted Compression
- Improves Circulation & Supports Recovery
- Reduces Fatigue
- Some Users Have Found The Sizing Inconsistent
7. Under Armour Men’s Raid Gym Shorts – Best Temperature Control For Men
Available in 9 sizes, Under Armour Men’s Raid Gym Shorts are made of a polyester/elastane blend.
The Raid Gym Shorts have four-way stretch fabric. It will stretch and move with you. The shorts are made of fast-drying fabric. Also, it wicks sweat and moisture quickly. Plus, these shorts use special HeatGear fabric for temperature control.
The HeatGear material helps you stay cool on hot days and warm on cold days. These are the best CrossFit shorts for temperature control.
The fabric is ultra-soft for comfort and designed to provide good sun protection. Plus, Under Armour Men’s Raid Gym Shorts feature anti-odor technology.
Finally, these shorts meet the Under Armour mission, which is to “make all athletes better through passion, design, and the relentless pursuit of innovation”.
- Available In 9 Sizes
- UPF 30 For Sun Protection
- Moisture-Wicking Fabric
- Some Users Feel The Inseam Runs Long
8. WarriorXGear Pro WOD Performance Shorts – Best Stretch
WarriorXGear Pro WOD Performance Shorts feature a loose fit thanks to the four-way stretch fabric. There are side slits that help adjust the fit. The looser fit means a little less support yet greater freedom of movement.
In fact, the stretch fabric of these WOD shorts provides 360 degrees of stretch.
Plus, the material wicks moisture and sweat so you stay dry. Also, there is an elastic waistband with a drawstring style. There is a Velcro fly, plus hook and loop closure.
Finally, the WOD shorts have anti-odor technology.
- Fits Looser Which Allows Freedom Of Movement
- Side Slits To Adjust The Fit
- Allows 360 Degrees Of Stretch
- They May Be Too Long For Some Users
The Best Women’s CrossFit Shorts
1. Tough Mode Apparel Women’s CrossFit Shorts – Best Overall CrossFit Shorts For Women
Here’s our pick for the best women’s CrossFit shorts. Tough Mode Apparel Women’s Shorts are designed to provide good compression and stretch while you train.
These shorts fit the contours of your body. They are available in two different materials depending on your needs. Solid colors come in light nylon that stretches with you as you train.
Patterned shorts use thicker polyester for good compression. They support your upper legs during training and improve circulation. This increases oxygen flow and means less fatigue. It also means improved recovery.
Finally, these shorts are designed to show off your hard-earned body shape.
- There Are Two Designs – One For Compression & One For Stretch
- Fits Your Body’s Contours
- Available In 5 Sizes
- The Shorts May Roll Up During Workouts
2. Reebok Women’s CrossFit Knit Woven Shorts – Best Fit For Women
Here’s a pair of shorts specifically designed to fit female CrossFit athletes. Reebok’s Women’s Woven Shorts are a blend of polyester and elastane.
These shorts have a low-rise waist with a wide waistband. The Reebok Shorts will not hinder your movement when you wear them during training.
Plus, they are made to fit your CrossFit body shape. Also, they are moisture-wicking while keeping you cool and dry.
They also feature built-in briefs for coverage.
- Low-Rise Waist
- Designed For All Training Styles
- Helps You Stay Dry & Cool
- May Be Too Short For The Preferences Of Some Users
3. Epic MMA Gear WOD Women’s Booty Shorts – Best Short Inseam
Epic MMA Gear WOD Women’s Booty Shorts are designed to meet the demands of CrossFit. They are comfortable, moisture-wicking, and breathable.
The waist area on these shorts for CrossFit is contoured to enhance your shape. Plus, they have the best short inseam fit. These shorts for CrossFit are stretchy to allow good freedom of movement.
Finally, they have flat seams that prevent chafing. They also make good general workout shorts.
- Comfortable Shorts Designed For CrossFit, MMA, Or Any Workout Style
- Feature Flat Seams To Avoid Chafing
- Some Users Find These Shorts Ride Up
4. Rogue WOD Gear Clothing Wide Band Booty Shorts – Best Durability
Here’s a pair of shorts designed for durability. They also provide style and comfort.
The Rogue WOD Gear Clothing Wide Band Booty Shorts are mid-rise, snug-fitting shorts that won’t bunch up while working out.
These shorts are made of a nylon and spandex blend that stretches with you. They allow you to move with your CrossFit movements.
Rogue Shorts provide support and breathability. Finally, inside the waist is an inner pocket for small items such as credit cards.
- Comfortable, Stylish Shorts
- Nylon/Spandex Blend For Support & Stretch
- Snug Fit Still Allows Freedom Of Movement
- Some Users Have Found The Rogue Logo Cracks With Use
5. Under Armour Women’s HeatGear Middy Shorts – Best Temperature Control For Women
Under Armour HeatGear fabric keeps athletes cool in hot training conditions. These Women’s Middy Shorts are breathable, lightweight, and moisture-wicking.
They feature stretch fabric that supports complete freedom of movement as you perform your daily workout.
They’re made of a polyester and elastane blend with an elastic closure system. The Under Armour HeatGear Middy Shorts provide compression to help ease fatigue and improve power.
They also feature anti-odor technology. Finally, these workout shorts share the mission of Under Armour, which is to “make all athletes better” with innovative products.
- Features HeatGear Fabric To Control Body Temperature
- Lightweight Design
- Provides Stretch & Compression
- The Waist May Roll Down
6. Adidas Women’s Techfit Shorts – Best Value For Women
These shorts provide UPF 50+ UV protection so you can safely train outdoors in the sun. Adidas Women’s Techfit Shorts are made of polyester/elastane. Whether you train in your home gym or a CrossFit gym, inside or outside, this pair of shorts help the body generate power.
These WOD Shorts have an elastic closure design for a snug fit. They are also moisture-wicking. They can be worn under running shorts or worn by themselves.
Finally, the comfort waistband allows superior comfort and a good fit. This means when you want to spend your hard-earned money to buy CrossFit shorts, these are the best shorts for value.
- Provides UPF 50+ Protection
- Fabric Supports Power While You Train
- Elastic Waistband For A Good Fit
- Some Users Find They Ride Up
Buying Guide – How To Choose The Best CrossFit Shorts?
What Is CrossFit?
CrossFit is a strength and conditioning workout approach that started nearly a decade ago. It centers around high-intensity interval training. CrossFit uses functional movements you perform in your daily life. This includes squatting, pushing and pulling.
In addition, you can take CrossFit classes, and compete in CrossFit Games. You can train in your home gym or a designated CrossFit gym.
What’s Different About CrossFit Workouts?
CrossFit training is done daily (WOD, or Workout Of the Day). Workouts last for a predetermined time and focus on elements of load, speed, and distance.
As noted workouts use all types of equipment and require a lot of movement. Therefore, your workout apparel should be able to take a beating and allow you to move freely.
What Makes Shorts For CrossFit Different?
Unlike regular shorts, shorts for CrossFit are specifically designed for CrossFit workouts. CrossFit clothing such as shorts should be lightweight, stretchable, and moisture-wicking.
There are different types of CrossFit shorts in this guide. As a matter of personal preference, some users may wish to own more than one pair.
What To Consider When Buying Shorts For CrossFit
A pair of CrossFit shorts should have several characteristics. As noted, you’ll want shorts that stretch with you as you move. Plus, they should not bunch or ride up. This is important when you’re in the middle of a tough rep.
For example, our best overall for men, Clinch Gear Performance CrossFit Shorts, features 360 degrees of stretch.
Elastic Waistband And Closure Systems
There are different closure systems for these shorts. Some use a hook and loop drawstring. Others use a Velcro closure system, such as a two-fold Velcro waistband.
Shorts with an elastic waistband should fit snugly yet not too tight. You do not want overly tight shorts when you’re training. As noted above, a secure closure system ensures your shorts fit.
Another aspect of fit is underwear. Should you wear underwear with these shorts? It comes down to personal preference.
This measures how far down your leg the shorts go. There are several different lengths of shorts available. Of course, length is a personal preference. Some prefer short shorts, others want knee-length shorts. As noted, the shorts should not interfere with your training.
A good example of a short inseam is Epic MMA Gear WOD Booty Shorts for Women.
This is a piece of extra fabric sewn in the crotch area to allow ease of movement.
CrossFit training can be hard on your shorts. A barbell with a knurled grip can catch on the fabric and rip it. Plus, constant movement causes cheap fabric to wear out faster. CrossFit shorts should have good quality and long-lasting durability.
The best CrossFit shorts should come with one or two pockets. Some men’s shorts have front zippered pockets. Women’s shorts may have an inseam zipper pocket. The less you have in your pockets, the easier time you will have exercising. Still, a zippered pocket lets you keep smaller items with you.
A good example with deep pockets and upgraded zippers is Anthem Athletics Hyperflex Men’s Shorts.
Most shorts in this guide are moisture-wicking. If shorts that dry fast is important to you, make sure you look for this feature.
CrossFit is intense; therefore, it makes sense to wear the right pair of shorts.
Our best overall is Clinch Gear Performance CrossFit Shorts. These men’s shorts are one of the most lightweight shorts available. Yet, they’re durable with triple-reinforced stitching. This is a premium quality pair of shorts.
For women athletes, Tough Mode Apparel Women’s CrossFit Shorts are the best choice. The great thing about this pair of shorts is that you can choose your style. Go with a solid color. They are lightweight and stretchable. Or go with a pattern design. These are thicker compression shorts.
When you’re training on a hot or cold day, you want a pair of shorts that work with you. The Under Armour Women’s HeatGear Middy Shorts feature fabric that helps control body temperature when training. They also stretch and provide good compression.
There’s a pair of CrossFit shorts for anyone. Use our guide to find the best pair for you!