You can call it ecdysterone or beta-ecdysterone. Either way, if more muscle is your goal, it should be in your arsenal of supplements.
Why? Simple. Ecdysterone, an ecdysteroid or plant steroid, stimulates protein synthesis. That means muscle growth!
This guide will help you choose the best ecdysterone supplement on the market. Check it out before you train again!
In a Hurry? Here is our top pick:
Quick answer – best ecdysterone supplement
- Huge Supplements Ecdysterone – Best Overall
- Advanced Molecular Labs Ecdysterone – Best For Muscle Growth
- Haya Labs Ecdysterone – Best Flexible Dosing
- Gistix Labs Beta-Ecdysterone – Best Value
- Redcon1 War Zone – Best Post-Workout
- Super Smart Beta-Ecdysterone – Best For Vegans
- Peerless Labs 98% Beta Ecdysterone Powder – Best Bulk Size
- Nature Gains Natu Roids – Best Natural Alternative
- Muscle Empire Beta Ecdysterone Powder – Best Manufacturer
- Nutriissa Ecdysterone – Best For Bodybuilders And Athletes
Reviews – The best ecdysterone supplements
Huge Supplements Ecdysterone – Best Overall
Here’s our pick for best overall. Huge Supplements Ecdysterone provides 500mg of ecdysterone per serving. There’s also 500mg cyclodextrin. One serving is two capsules. Cyclodextrin is a fast acting designer carbohydrate source. This improves ecdysterone absorption. Also, there are only four other ingredients in this formula. There are no artificial ingredients.
Huge Supplements Ecdysterone is ideal for male or female bodybuilders and athletes. You should take it with a high protein post-workout shake. That’s because there’s a high leucine content in protein.
This works with ecdysterone to stimulate muscle growth. On their own, both leucine and ecdysterone stimulate protein synthesis. The combination works together to promote optimal protein synthesis.
- 500mg Ecdysterone Per Two Capsules
- Complexed With 500mg Cyclodextrin
- Superior Absorption
- Some Users Don’t Like The Odor
Advanced Molecular Labs Ecdysterone – Best For Muscle Growth
Here’s our pick for the best ecdysterone supplement for muscle growth. Advanced Molecular Labs Ecdysterone supplies 500mg per capsule. It also provides 200IU vitamin D3. There are only a few other ingredients. That means the capsules do not contain fillers or other unneeded ingredients.
The ecdysterone comes from cyanotis arachnoidea, a plant long used in traditional medicines. This plant has mild stimulant properties. It’s unlikely the dosage of this product causes a stimulant effect. If you are sensitive to stimulants, take this with your post-workout shake. The extra calories of a protein/carb shake slow the absorption of any potential stimulant.
In fact, AML advises users to use AML PostWorkout. This product combines leucine, creatine, and betaine. This is the best combination of ingredients for muscle growth and recovery.
- 500mg Per Capsule
- No Artificial Ingredients
- Stack It With AML PostWorkout Or Your Favorite Post Workout Shake
- Although Rare, Some Sensitive Users Report A Stimulant Effect
Haya Labs Ecdysterone – Best Flexible Dosing
Haya Labs Ecdysterone supplies 250mg per capsule. This low amount per capsule means you can personalize the dose. This makes it ideal for any user. Are you a female bodybuilder that needs a little more muscle? You can take the suggested 250mg dose once or twice a day.
Are you a beginner? Or someone that wants to start small and work up? Again, the 250 mg dose will work in both cases. If you are more experienced, you can double the dose.
Haya Labs Ecdysterone does not contain many ingredients. There’s nothing artificial in this product. It’s manufactured in a cGMP-inspected facility. Also, it’s a Climate Pledge Friendly product. Finally, it’s HACCP certified. HACCP is an internationally accepted method of managing food safety.
- Flexible 250mg Dose
- Personalize To Your Experience Level
- cGMP-Inspected – HACCP Certified
- Some Users Complain The Capsules Seemed Under Filled
Gistix Labs Beta-Ecdysterone – Best Value
Here’s our pick for the best value-minded ecdysterone. Gistix Labs Beta-Ecdysterone provides 300mg per capsule and contains 60 capsules. Depending on experience, users can take 1-2 capsules per day.
Gistix Labs suggests two per day. Yet some users may wish to only take one. That gives them a two-month supply. Also, it’s advised to take this with a high-protein meal. Gistix Labs suggests specific protein foods such as chicken, eggs, or fish. You can also mix it with a protein shake. Either way will give good results.
This supplement contains no artificial ingredients. It’s lab tested and GMP-Certified. Finally, it’s also a vegetarian product.
- 60 Day Supply When You Take One Per Day
- Suggested Two Per Day Provides 30 Day Supply
- Lab Tested – GMP-Certified
- A Few Users Feel The Capsules Are Too Big To Swallow Easily
Redcon1 War Zone – Best Post-Workout
Redcon1 is very specific about when you should take War Zone. The directions suggest taking it with a high protein post-workout shake. Considering War Zone contains 500mg leucine, this makes perfect sense.
There’s also 500mg beta-ecdysterone. Finally, Redcon1 adds vitamin D. They suggest combining War Zone with a shake high in protein. This combo will ramp up the anabolic potential of this product. One reason for this is the post-workout shake will also be high in leucine. The dosage goal for leucine should be at least 3.5 grams. A shake will also be high in the rest of the amino acids. This, in turn, sets up excellent protein synthesis stimulation.
Redcon1 is one of the biggest names in sports nutrition products. Their entire marketing approach uses military names and creates a military image. It’s a successful marketing approach that has made them very popular.
- Provides 500mg Of Ecdysterone Per Serving
- Also Supplies Leucine And Vitamin D
- Supports Protein Synthesis
- This Product Could Have A Higher Dose
Super Smart Beta-Ecdysterone – Best For Vegans
Here’s a vegan-friendly ecdysterone supplement. It also features very small capsules. This is ideal if you don’t like swallowing large capsules. Super Smart Beta-Ecdysterone supplies 500mg per 2 capsules.
There’s only two ingredients besides the beta-ecdysterone. You can also double your dose and take 4 capsules for 1,000mg. This formula is standardized to 95%, which means of the 500mg dose, 95% is usable ecdysterone. This means it’s a guaranteed dose.
Besides being vegan, Super Smart Beta-Ecdysterone is gluten-free, non-GMO, and soy-free. There is also no coloring, flavoring, or preservatives. Finally, this product is 100% guaranteed.
- Vegan Friendly
- 500mg Or 1000mg Depending On Dose
- 100% Money-Back Guarantee
- Not For Cost-Conscious Users
Peerless Labs 98% Beta Ecdysterone Powder – Best Bulk Size
Peerless Labs 98% Beta Ecdysterone Powder does not come in a large container. Yet it contains 100 servings of Ecdysterone. Each scoop provides 500mg of ecdysterone powder per serving. There are no other ingredients. This product has a Certificate of Analysis that verifies a 98% purity rate.
The facility that makes Peerless Labs 98% Beta Ecdysterone Powder is a cGMP facility. It is also certified for quality. Besides being vegan, it’s non-GMO, free of gluten, and allergen-free.
Also, it’s soy-free and egg-free. There are no artificial ingredients, no additives, fillers, or preservatives. This is a convenient powder that you can mix with your protein shake or your post-workout shake. Finally, it’s 100% guaranteed.
- Certified 98% Pure
- Bulk 100 Serving Size
- One 500mg Scoop Per Day – This Product Will Last Over 3 Months
- Some Users Don’t Like The Taste
Nature Gains Natu Roids – Best Natural Alternative
Here’s an ecdysterone supplement that’s the best natural alternative to more “aggressive” compounds. Nature Gains Natu Roids is a unique ecdysterone formula. It supplies 600mg ecdysterone per two capsules. This source comes from the cyanotis vaga root. Next, there’s 200mg spinach extract in a 4:1 ratio.
This is another natural source of ecdysterone. Finally, there’s 600mg leucine. These three ingredients work together to stimulate protein synthesis.
Natu Roids is the only product Nature Gains sells. This product pulls bodybuilders and athletes away from harmful compounds. This is a new company and a new product. Their formula sets them apart as a unique combination of leucine and ecdysterone sources.
- Exclusive Combination Of Ingredients
- Natural Alternative To Aggressive Compounds
- Only Three Total Ingredients
- This Could Be Higher Dosed
Muscle Empire Beta Ecdysterone Powder – Best Manufacturer
HR Supplements manufactures Muscle Empire Beta Ecdysterone Powder. This manufacturer produces over 200 products for several companies. Muscle Empire Beta Ecdysterone Powder supplies 275mg per scoop. There are no other ingredients.
You can take this product with your favorite beverage. A protein or post-workout shake is the preferred beverage to use. It’s suggested to drink your shake within 20 minutes.
Muscle Empire Beta Ecdysterone Powder is manufactured according to cGMP guidelines. Every product undergoes quality testing. Finally, Muscle Empire Beta Ecdysterone is available in a capsule format. It’s the same 275mg dose.
- 275mg Per Scoop
- Mix With Your Protein Or Post-Workout Shake
- Made According To cGMP Guidelines
- Some Users Could Find The Scoop
Nutriissa Ecdysterone – Best For Bodybuilders And Athletes
Here’s an ecdysterone supplement designed for bodybuilders and advanced athletes. If you take part in a sport that requires muscle mass and strength, this is the ideal choice. One serving of two capsules provides 1000mg ecdysterone. There’s also a cyclodextrin complex for improved absorption.
Nutriissa Ecdysterone is for bodybuilders, weight lifters, strongman, and athletes. Nutriissa products are vegan and well-dosed. They offer natural supplement solutions to consumers. Ecdysterone is the primary product for bodybuilders and athletes. Finally, Nutriissa Ecdysterone is GMP-certified.
- 1000mg Per Serving
- Combined With A Cyclodextrin Complex For Absorption
- Ideal For Bodybuilders And Athletes
- A Few Users Feel The Capsules Are Difficult To Swallow
Buying Guide – How To Choose The Best Ecdysterone Supplement?
What Is Ecdysterone
Ecdysterone is a compound that occurs naturally in insects and plants. These plants include cyanotis arachnoidea, a plant that originates in China. Ecdysterone is also found in various foods such as spinach, quinoa, and mushrooms. Ecdysterone is part of a class of substances known as ecdysteroids. One of its functions is to help insects shed old feathers, skin, or hair to make way for new growth. Researchers have determined that, when used by humans, it may increase muscle mass and strength. (1, 2)
What’s In A Name?
Ecdysterone goes by several names. These include beta-ecdysterone, hydroxy beta ecdysterone, 20-hydroxy ecdysterone, and 20 hydroxy beta ecdysterone. You can use any of these names. In this guide, many products go by beta-ecdysterone as well as ecdysterone.
The Benefits Of Ecdysterone
- Stimulates Protein Synthesis – Protein synthesis is a trigger of muscle growth. If you can stimulate greater protein synthesis, you can stimulate more growth. There are several animal and in vitro studies on ecdysterone. These looked at ecdysterone’s effect on protein synthesis. In both types of studies, ecdysterone stimulated protein synthesis. This is the reason some products, such as Redcon1 War Zone, combine leucine and ecdysterone. Leucine is the key amino acid that targets protein synthesis. This formula also includes vitamin D. This is because D supports the synthesis of compounds like ecdysterone. (3)
- May Help Ease Osteoporosis – Animal studies have shown that ecdysterone can lower blood sugar levels. There needs to be more research to determine how effective this is on humans. (3)
- May Help Lower Blood Glucose Levels – Similar to osteoporosis, animal studies have shown that ecdysterone can lower blood sugar levels. More research needs to be done to determine this effect in humans. (3)
What To Consider When Looking For A Ecdysterone Supplement
A high-quality ecdysterone supplement will have clear labeling with no artificial ingredients. There should be few “other ingredients” as well. Some products, such as Gistix Labs Beta-Ecdysterone, undergo testing for quality. They may also display a “GMP-Certified” seal on the label.
Avoid any product with prop blends. Several testosterone boosters use ecdysterone as part of their formula. You will want to choose one that features full disclosure labeling. Other products, like Redcon1 War Zone, add leucine. War Zone also adds vitamin D. These are clearly displayed on the label.
Also, check out the dosage and the number of capsules required per serving. For example, Super Smart Beta-Ecdysterone provides 1,000mg per serving. You will have to take 4 capsules per serving. That’s fine, but what if you don’t like swallowing that many capsules? Then the dosage may need to be divided. Or, you can use a powder version, such as Peerless Labs 98% Beta Ecdysterone Powder. There’s also Muscle Empire Beta Ecdysterone Powder.
How To Use Ecdysterone
The average dose of ecdysterone ranges from 500mg to 1000mg per day. Therefore, make sure to read the label and follow all directions. As noted, you may have to take more than one serving per day to reach the suggested range. Also, as noted, take ecdysterone with a protein shake. This can be the protein powder of your choice. As noted, some products, such as Gistix Labs Ecdysterone, suggest specific protein foods. The key is that the protein source has high biological quality.
Or you can take it with a post-workout shake. Do you use specific post-workout powder? Many of these have carbs and not as much protein. Make sure your choice is high in protein. For example, 20 grams will be the minimum amount.
Plus, you’re specifically looking for a BCAA content of 5.5g and up. Any protein source will contain all the amino acids. Research has shown that leucine is more effective when all nine EAAs are included. EAAs, or essential amino acids, must be supplement and diet supplied. The three BCAAs are part of the EAAs.
Huge Supplements Ecdysterone combines cyclodextrin and ecdysterone to improve absorption. It’s suggested to take this with a high protein shake. This allows the most protein synthesis stimulation.
Would you prefer a powder version of ecdysterone? Peerless Labs 98% Beta Ecdysterone Powder is a small container. Yet it provides 100 servings. What’s more, one serving provides 500mg ecdysterone. Also, this product only contains one ingredient. There’s nothing else added.
Would you prefer a vegan product? Super Smart Beta-Ecdysterone is 100% vegan. It’s also all-natural, free of gluten, and non-GMO.
The best ecdysterone supplement is the one that fits in with your goals. Use our guide to make the right choice for you. Then let’s hit the gym!
- Lafont, R., & Dinan, L. (2003). Practical uses for ecdysteroids in mammals including humans: an update. Journal of insect science (Online), 3, 7. https://doi.org/10.1093/jis/3.1.7
- Dinan L. (2001). Phytoecdysteroids: biological aspects. Phytochemistry, 57(3), 325–339. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0031-9422(01)00078-4
- Ecdysteroids Research Breakdown | Examine.com