If you’re following the keto diet, a low carb diet, or intermittent fasting, exogenous ketones can make a big difference in your results. This is because exogenous ketones help you achieve ketosis quickly and easily.
Being in a state of ketosis means that the body is burning fat for fuel. This has several practical applications that means you can ultimately stay true to your diet even if you cheat. Of course, while an occasional cheat meal is OK, you have to be dedicated to your fat loss goals. This guide will help you choose the best exogenous ketones supplement for you.
In a Hurry? Here is our top pick:
Quick Answer – The Best Exogenous Ketone Supplements
- Perfect Keto Base – Best Overall Exogenous Ketones Supplement
- Zhou Keto Drive – Best Tasting
- Nutricost Keto BHB Exogenous Ketones – Best BHB Complex
- Giant Sports Giant Keto-Exogenous Ketones Supplement – Best Potency
- KetoSports KetoCaNa BHB Exogenous Ketone Supplement – Best For Athletes
- Sports Research Keto Plus Exogenous Ketones – Best Budget
- KEPPI Keto – Best For Beginners
- Kiss My Keto Base Exogenous Ketones – Best For Any Low Carb Diet
- MCM Nutrition Exogenous Ketones – Best For Mental Focus
- Keto Function Ignite Keto – Best For Energy
Reviews – The Best Exogenous Ketones
1. Perfect Keto Base – Best Overall Exogenous Ketones Supplement
Perfect Keto Base is designed to get you into a state of ketosis quickly.
It contains 3.8g each of Calcium BHB, Sodium BHB, and Magnesium BHB.
It’s naturally flavored and sweetened with monk fruit and stevia. The formula is designed to mix easily and taste good, plus there are several flavor choices available.
Perfect Keto is designed by a Doctor and can be used to support ketosis at any time of the day. It can be added to your morning coffee or used in recipes.
While the product can be used by anyone, it’s meant for users following the Keto diet or similar low-carb diet.
These features make Perfect Keto Base our best overall exogenous ketones supplement.
- Mixes With Any Beverage – Add It To Your Coffee
- All-Natural, Clean Ingredients
- Use It Any Time During The Day
- Despite The Ads, Some Users May Not Like The Taste
2. Zhou Keto Drive – Best Tasting
Zhou Keto Drive provides a total of 11.7g of patented goBHB salts per serving. There’s no individual breakdown of each BHB salt, but the label is fully disclosed otherwise.
BHB salts are said to have a strong taste. In response, this all-natural product features flavors designed to mix easily and taste good so there’s no overwhelming BHB taste.
Keto Drive supports ketosis, endurance, and mental performance. It is made using high-quality ingredients and is tested for purity.
The effort put into developing a keto formula with good flavor makes Zhou Keto Drive the best tasting exogenous ketones.
- Features Patented goBHB Salts
- Tested For Purity
- Designed To Hide The Naturally Strong Taste Of BHB Salts
- The Flavor May Be Too Strong For Some Users
3. Nutricost Keto BHB Exogenous Ketones – Best BHB Complex
Nutricost Keto BHB Exogenous Ketones provides a 4-in-1 complex of patented goBHB salts.
One serving contains 11.7g of BHBs and is lower in sodium than many of the exogenous ketone supplements that are currently available.
One advantage of these 4 BHB salts is to promote a balance of electrolytes. This is important because a lack of carbs in the diet may cause an electrolyte imbalance, which can lead to dehydration.
This product is naturally sweetened with stevia and naturally flavored, but does contain fillers.
Still, Nutricost is a company whose products are 3rd party tested for quality.
The unique 4-in-1 BHB salt blend makes Nutricost Keto the Exogenous Ketones with the best BHB complex.
- Provides 4 In 1 BHB Salts
- 3rd Party Tested For Quality
- All Natural Ingredients
- Contains More Fillers Than Other Ketone Products
4. Giant Sports Giant Keto-Exogenous Ketones Supplement – Best Potency
Giant Sports Giant Keto provides 12g of patented goBHB salts per serving, this is the highest strength of any product on this list.
There are also several vitamins not always found in an exogenous ketone formula. These include vitamins C, D, B6, and B12.
The other ingredient that’s not typically included is 500mg of l-carnitine l-tartrate, which helps carry stored fat to be used as energy.
The unique ingredient profile is designed to boost energy, focus, and performance while increasing levels of ketones in the blood.
The label is fully disclosed and the taste is all-new. The strength of this formula makes Giant Sports Giant Keto the exogenous ketones with the best potency.
- Features 12g Of goBHB Salts In A Unique Ingredient Profile
- All New Taste
- Increases Blood Ketone Levels, Energy, Focus, & Performance
- May Not Fully Mix In Water
5. KetoSports KetoCaNa BHB Exogenous Ketone Supplement – Best For Athletes
KetoSports KetoCaNa contains 11.7g of BHB salts per serving.
This product features a fully disclosed label and can be used with other supplements, such as your pre-workout. You can also mix it with water or your favorite beverage.
This product is not only designed for keto dieters but also for paleo followers or any low-carb diet.
KetoCaNa is suggested for use by endurance athletes before their event for increased energy.
These features make KetoSports KetoCaNa the best exogenous ketones for athletes.
- Versatile – Used By Athletes & Keto/Paleo/Low-Carb Dieters
- 11.7g Of BHB Salts per Serving
- Mix It With Your Pre-workout Or Favorite Beverage
- Some Users Feel It Tastes Too Sweet
6. Sports Research Keto Plus Exogenous Ketones – Best Budget
Sports Research Keto Plus contains a 6g blend of goBHB salts as well as leucine, acetyl-l-carnitine, lysine, and chromium picolinate.
Keto Plus is designed to provide extended energy for training, your daily job, or school obligations.
Used several times a day, Keto Plus will help users maintain an extended state of ketosis.
One of the differences between Keto Plus and other products is that it provides 30 servings at a good price point.
However, you’re only getting half the strength of BHB salts per serving. This allows for more dosing flexibility.
The other downside is that there are a lot of “other ingredients” in this product: gums, acids, flavoring, coloring, and sweeteners. All of these ingredients are natural but it’s more than you’ll find in other options.
Still, the price point and impressive active ingredient profile make Sports Research Keto Plus the best budget exogenous ketone supplement.
- Unique Blend Of Patented BHB Salts, Amino Acids & Minerals
- 30 Servings Per Container
- Long-Lasting Energy
- Contains A Lot Of Fillers
7. KEPPI Keto – Best For Beginners
KEPPI Keto provides 11.8g of patented BHB salts per serving. It’s naturally flavored and sweetened with stevia. This product is designed to help stimulate ketosis and is appropriate for all low carb dieters.
There’s nothing extra added to this fully disclosed formula, it’s just BHB salts.
Like similar products, this product will support energy, focus, endurance, and stimulate fat loss.
This is a simple, no-frills, high-quality formula.
The features and ease of use make KEPPI Keto the best exogenous ketones supplement for beginners.
- 11.8g goBHB Salts Per Serving
- No Extras
- All Natural
- A Little Pricey
8. Kiss My Keto Base Exogenous Ketones – Best For Any Low Carb Diet
Kiss My Keto Base Exogenous Ketones contains 6.1g of Calcium BHB, 4.3g of Sodium BHB, and 736mg of Magnesium BHB.
The label is fully disclosed and this product is one of the few in this guide that breaks down individual BHB dosing.
This formula contains only natural ingredients, including natural fruit flavors.
It’s also available in capsules, however, the dosages are significantly lower.
Keto Base stimulates ketosis and supports energy as well as focus. It’s designed for keto, paleo, Atkins, or any similar low carb diet. That makes Kiss My Keto Base the best exogenous ketones for any low carb diet.
- Fully Disclosed Label
- All Natural Ingredients
- No Extra Ingredients, Only BHB Salts
- May Be Too Much Sodium For Some Users
9. MCM Nutrition Exogenous Ketones – Best For Mental Focus
MCM Nutrition Exogenous Ketones contain an 11.1g blend of BHB salts and theanine.
The rest of the label is fully disclosed and includes vitamin C, B6, and B12. It contains all-natural ingredients and is sweetened with stevia.
This product helps the body achieve ketosis, it also improves clarity and keeps blood sugar in balance.
The downside to this product is that the BHB complex is a prop blend. With theanine added, the BHB complex may be dosed a little light, but you can’t tell by how much.
Still, the profile of BHB salts plus theanine and vitamins is a solid one. With the addition of theanine, mental focus is improved.
Add a serving of caffeine and your focus will be even better thanks to the synergism between theanine and caffeine. That makes MCM Nutrition Exogenous Ketones the best choice for mental focus.
- 11.1g BHB/Theanine Complex
- All Natural
- Contains Extra Vitamins
- BHB Complex Is A Prop Blend, You Don’t Know How Much BHB Salts You’re Getting
10. Keto Function Ignite Keto – Best For Energy
Keto Function Ignite Keto contains 12g of patented BHB salts plus 40mg of organic caffeine.
This is a well-chosen amount of caffeine since many users may not want a high dosage.
This product contains all-natural ingredients and uses stevia as a sweetener.
It stimulates ketosis and with the addition of caffeine, supplies extra energy, and focus for your daily obligations.
Ignite Keto is a good choice for athletes and fits well with any low carb diet. It’s designed to mix easily and tastes good with water, sparkling water, or the low carb beverage of your choice.
The addition of caffeine makes Keto Function Ignite Keto the best exogenous ketones supplement for energy.
- 12g BHB Salts Per Serving
- 40mg Organic Caffeine
- Stimulates Ketosis, Energy & Focus
- BHB Complex Is A Prop Blend
- The Taste may Not Appeal To All Users
Buying Guide – How To Choose The Best Exogenous Ketone Supplements?
What Is The Ketogenic Diet?
The Keto diet has become a popular low carb diet that forces the body to use stored fat for energy. This diet suggests that 10% or less of your total daily calories come from carbohydrates. Having said that, there are variations of the Keto diet:
- Standard Keto Dieting (SKD)—This is the standard keto diet: as noted above, it’s a low carb, high protein, high fat eating plan. This version is best for people that have fairly inactive lifestyles. That means that users on this program do exercise, but not to the point that a low carb intake significantly affects exercise performance.
- Targeted Keto Dieting (TKD)—This version is better suited for bodybuilders and athletes because it allows carb intake in the hours surrounding the workout for better training energy and improved recovery. The goal in this case is to improve exercise performance without affecting ketosis for anything more than the time it takes to workout.
- Cyclical Keto Dieting (CKD)—This version is similar to the TKD approach, except it allows planned carb refeeds every 7th day to replenish muscle glycogen stores. This is the most popular version of the Keto diet among bodybuilders and other athletes. If you train intensely but feel your training performance is not at the level you want after using both the SKD and TKD versions, then the CKD version is the best choice for you.
Comparing The Keto Diet To Other Low Carb Diets
How is the keto diet different from other low-carb diets? The keto diet is designed to allow the body to enter a state of “ketosis”. This is when the body produces ketones for energy.
Ketosis is defined by Medical News Today as “a metabolic process that occurs when the body does not have enough glucose for energy. Stored fats are used for energy, resulting in a build-up of ketones in the body”. Ketones are compounds that are synthesized in the liver and come from stored fat. This happens when carbohydrate intake is extremely restricted. Your body then uses stored fat as fuel. (1, 2)
What Are Exogenous Ketone Supplements?
Exogenous ketone supplements contain end-products that are used in the metabolism of fat. Without this supplement, users would have to fast to create a high content of ketones in the bloodstream. However, an exogenous ketone supplement provides ketones directly, which will rapidly increase blood ketone levels. This is true even if you aren’t following a strict keto diet.
Exogenous Vs Endogenous Ketones
These are the two types of ketones:
- Endogenous ketones – These are made by the body and are the result of fasting and low carb intake.
- Exogenous ketones – These are provided by supplements.
The “Keto Flu”
Taking exogenous ketone supplements help alleviate the negative effects caused by low carb dieting. This is known as the “keto flu”, and it’s flu-like symptoms experienced by some people when they first start the keto diet. This is caused by the body adjusting to a low carb diet. Instead of not feeling well while going into a state of ketosis, exogenous ketones provide the energy and clarity needed for your daily obligations.
Exogenous ketones do not burn calories, they stimulate more energy and focus without experiencing the “keto flu”. So you feel OK while benefiting from the natural fat-burning state of ketosis. Having said that, it’s important to understand that by themselves, exogenous ketones are not a fat loss supplement. They burn fat indirectly by helping your body go into ketosis. You must be following a low-carb diet to get long term fat loss benefits from these products. (3, 4)
Exogenous Ketone Benefits
Here are the benefits of ketosis:
- Fat Loss
- Increased Energy & Focus
- Reduced Hunger & Cravings
- Helps Control Blood Sugar
How To Use Exogenous Ketones
Read all label directions before using an exogenous ketone supplement. Mix one serving with water or the beverage of your choice. If you are using capsules or a liquid, use it as directed.
The great thing about this product is that blood levels of ketones will increase quickly and should be at maximum levels within an hour.
Exogenous ketones will maintain a state of ketosis, even if you are eating a higher carb meal. For this reason, you should take them within 30 minutes of eating.
That could mean before a refeed meal if you are following that version of the keto diet. It can be before your first meal if you are following an intermittent fasting program.
This supports fat loss because you are still burning fat for fuel even after you begin your eating period.
Athletes can use exogenous ketone supplements within half an hour of starting their event.
A second dose can be used after 3 hours if the event is 4 hours or longer. This is because after three hours, ketone levels decrease, and after about four hours, you’re back to a baseline level.
There’s a number of high quality exogenous ketone supplements available.
The best overall is Perfect Keto Base. This product is designed by a Doctor and features a fully disclosed label with 11.4g of BHB salts per serving. You can mix it with anything, there’s no clumps and it tastes good.
If you want the best BHB blend, Nutricost Keto BHB Exogenous Ketones takes their BHB complex one step farther. This blend includes 4 patented goBHB salts per serving. This product is lower in sodium than many other choices and provides a good electrolyte balance.
If you’re new to keto or low carb dieting and want to try an exogenous ketone supplement, KEPPI Keto is a simple, no-frills formula that contains 11.8g of patented BHB salts per serving. It’s naturally flavored and naturally sweetened.
There’s an exogenous ketone supplement for any fat loss goal, use our guide to find your best choice!