Do you work out on the way to work or school?
If you’re not using a backpack to carry your gear, it’s time to start. A gym backpack can carry everything you need.
You can store your shoes, your supplements, and your weightlifting belt. Also, you can store your laptop and other work/school-related items.
This guide will review the best gym backpacks. Don’t go to the gym until you’ve checked it out!
In a Hurry? Here is our top pick:
Best Gym Backpack
- King Kong CORE25 Backpack – Best Overall
- Nike Vapor Power Training Backpack – Best Medium Size
- Adidas Prime Backpack – Best Unisex
- Outlander Packable Backpack – Best Space Saving
- ProSupps Hex Camo Backpack – Best For Bodybuilders
- Nike Sportswear RPM Backpack – Best Strap System
- Targus Commuter Large Gym Backpack – Best For Active Professionals
- Mouteenoo Sport Gym Backpack – Best For Athletes
- MIER Duffel Backpack – Best Duffel-Based
- Under Armour Hustle 3.0 – Best For Carrying Shoes
- AmazonBasics Sport Backpack – Best Value
Reviews – The Best Gym Backpacks
King Kong CORE25 Backpack – Best Overall
The King Kong CORE25 Backpack is our pick for best overall. Here’s a gym backpack that holds your weight lifting belt around the outside of the pack. It’s designed to hold all your gym/work gear. There’s space for your laptop or tablet.
You can store your gym or work shoes away from the rest of your gear. The King Kong CORE25 has expandable bottle pockets for your shaker or bottle. Also, the CORE25 has a front organizational pocket that keeps smaller items secure.
- Designed To Hold All Your Gear
- There’s A Padded Laptop Sleeve
- Store Your Shoes In A Separate Compartment
- Not Big Enough For Larger Shoes
Nike Vapor Power Training Backpack – Best Medium Size
The Nike Vapor Power Training Backpack is our pick for the best medium-sized gym bag. There’s a laptop sleeve with side pockets for your shaker cup or water bottle.
The main compartment is large enough for your gym gear. There’s cushioned carrying straps for comfort. Finally, the Nike Vapor Power Training Backpack is built for durability.
- Lightweight & Durable
- Side Pockets For Your Shaker Or Water Bottles
- Cushioned Carrying Straps
- May Not Have Enough Storage For Some Users
Adidas Prime Backpack – Best Unisex
Here’s a gym backpack that works for either men or women. Altogether it has five zippered compartments. This gym backpack is large enough to carry all your gym gear. It can also hold your work or school gear.
The Adidas Prime Backpack has a sleeve for a laptop or tablet. There’s room for two water bottles or protein shakers. Also, the Prime Backpack is extra-large and durable. It has reflective panels on the outside for nighttime safety. Finally, it has a lifetime warranty.
- There’s 5 Zippered Compartments
- It Has A Lifetime Warranty
- There’s Room For Two Water Bottles Or Shaker Cups
- May Be Too Big For Shorter Users
Outlander Packable Backpack – Best Space Saving
Here’s a tear and water resistant gym backpack made from nylon. The Outlander Packable Backpack features a unique space saving design. It folds into its own zippered pocket. It’s lightweight and has several zippered compartments. The zippers are metal.
Also, they are 2-way abrasion resistant. It has an internal zippered pocket for valuable items. Also, there are two side pockets for your water bottle or shaker. Finally, there’s a multi-use carabiner clip.
- Water Resistant & Tear Resistant
- Compact Design – Folds Into Its Own Zipper Pocket
- Made Of Nylon
- May Not Be Sturdy Enough For Heavier Items – It Doesn’t Hold Its Shape
ProSupps Hex Camo Backpack – Best For Bodybuilders
Here’s a gym backpack from a brand known for their supplements. That’s one thing that makes it our pick as the best for bodybuilders. They can store their ProSupps supplements in the ProSupps Hex Camo Backpack.
This is a gym backpack made for durability. It has several pockets for your gym and work or school gear. You can also store a laptop or tablet in the Hex Camo Backpack. It has outside zippered pockets for small items like your car keys. Finally, it has an outside pocket for a water bottle, protein shake, or pre-workout.
- Durable Gym Backpack
- Features Several Compartments
- Stores Your Tablet Or Laptop
- May Not Have Enough Side Pockets For Some Users
Nike Sportswear RPM Backpack – Best Strap System
Here’s a backpack with an adjustable strap system that allows several storage options. The Nike Sportswear RPM Backpack features curved and adjustable shoulder straps. This gym backpack has several zippered compartments for your gym gear.
It’s designed to fit a 15” laptop. There’s a padded back panel designed to make carrying this pack comfortable. Finally, it’s made of 100% polyester to resist moisture.
- Holds A 15” Laptop
- Features Several Storage Compartments
- Adjustable Strap System Offers Versatile Storage
- Some Users Feel The Color Doesn’t Match The Pictures
Targus Commuter Large Gym Backpack – Best For Active Professionals
Here’s a gym backpack created for active professionals. The Targus Commuter Large Gym Backpack has three separate compartments. One is for your work laptop. There’s a ventilated compartment for your gym or work shoes.
Also, there’s a large ventilated compartment for your clothes. The Targus Gym Backpack includes a detachable laundry bag. You can unzip the entire backpack so it hangs flat in your locker. There’s a built-in hook for this purpose. Finally, there’s two water bottle pockets.
- Designed For The Active Professional
- Ventilated Compartment Holds Work/Gym Shoes
- Holds Two Water Bottles Or Shakers
- Not Enough Storage Space For Laptop Cables
Mouteenoo Sport Gym Backpack – Best For Athletes
Here’s our pick for the best gym backpack for athletes. The Mouteenoo Sport Gym Backpack has enough space for a basketball. Or, it can hold other sport-specific supplies. This gym backpack has an inside zippered pocket for your keys, watch, and other small items. It has a metal ring to hold your keys.
The backpack is water-resistant nylon. There’s a ventilated compartment for your gym shoes. This is a lightweight backpack with adjustable padded shoulder straps. It’s sized to fit in almost any small storage area. Finally, the side pocket can hold a travel mug, shaker, or water bottle.
- Features A Metal Ring For Keys
- There’s An Inside Zippered Pocket For Small Items
- A Ventilated Compartment Holds Gym Or Work Shoes
- There’s No Firm Base, So It Does Not Stand On Its Own
MIER Duffel Backpack – Best Duffel-Based
The MIER Duffel Backpack is a large duffel bag. You can use it as a backpack. You can carry it like a regular duffle bag and detach the backpack straps. This gym backpack is water-resistant. There’s an inside key loop, and an ID pocket.
Also, there’s a double-reinforced floor panel for stability. There are several compartments, including a ventilated shoe compartment. There’s also a pocket for towels. The Mier Duffel Backpack is versatile. Use it as a duffel bag or a backpack, as needed. This is our pick for the best Duffel-based Backpack.
- Use It As A Backpack Or a Duffel Bag
- Ventilated Shoe Compartment
- Not All Users Like The Zipper System
Under Armour Hustle 3.0 – Best For Carrying Shoes
The Under Armour Hustle 3.0 has a scratch-resistant bottom panel. It’s water-resistant and keeps small items dry. There’s a lined laptop or tablet sleeve. Also, the shoulder straps are adjustable for a comfortable fit.
The Under Armour Hustle 3.0 has a pocket on the bottom for shoes. This design allows users to store shoes separately when not in use. It can also store clothes when you’re done training. Finally, there’s two pockets on the sides for a shaker and a water bottle.
- Large Bottom Compartment For Shoes Or Clothes
- Two Water Bottle/Shaker Pockets
- Some Users Don’t Like The Material It’s Made Of
AmazonBasics Sport Backpack – Best Value
No doubt AmazonBasics is a value-conscious brand. The AmazonBasics Sport Backpack is no exception. Here’s a gym backpack with a small pocket for your sunglasses or cellphone. The AmazonBasics Sport Backpack has a soft pocket for your tablet or laptop.
Also, there’s a bottom compartment for your shoes. The Sport Backpack is 100% polyester with a scratch-resistant bottom panel. Finally, there’s two side pockets for your shaker or water bottle.
- There’s A Bottom Compartment For Shoes
- Made Of 100% Polyester
- Two Side Pockets For Your To-Go Cup, Shaker, And Water Bottle
- Some Users Feel The Shoulder Straps Slip Too Much
Buying Guide – How To Choose The Best Gym Backpack?
What Makes A Gym Backpack Different From A Regular Backpack?
Many active people train on the way to work. Or, they may train on the way home. A gym backpack will have space for your gym gear no matter when you train. There will be room for your gym shoes. Usually, there is a ventilated shoe compartment. Also, a gym backpack has room for a change of clothes. You can also store work-related items, such as a laptop.
Several of the backpacks in this guide have a designated area for small items such as car keys. For example, the Mouteenoo Sport Gym Backpack has a ring to store car keys. Finally, all the gym backpacks have outside pockets for your water bottle or shaker.
The Benefits Of A Gym Backpack
Here are some of the benefits of a gym backpack:
- Helps You Keep Organized – If you train before work, you can keep everything organized. You can easily carry your gym gear and supplements. Also, you can carry your work/school supplies.
- Comfort – A gym backpack is often easier to carry than a duffel bag.
- Convenient – A gym backpack works for school or work. It also works if you leave the gym and play outdoor sports, or travel.
- Style – Let’s face it, a backpack is stylish. Everybody uses one. Choose one that fits your personal style and you’ll be good to go.
What You Should Consider When Looking At A Gym Backpack
There’s several styles of gym backpacks you can choose from. Most of the backpacks in this guide have a laptop sleeve. Many are large enough to carry gym shoes and a complete change of clothes. Some backpacks, such as the MIER Duffel Backpack, is a duffle bag that converts into a backpack. Here are some more factors you should consider:
The first thing you should consider is the size of the backpack. You’ll need one large enough for your gym gear. Do you leave the gym and go right to work or school? Then it needs to hold all your other necessary supplies. Not to mention, you’ll need a backpack that can hold your clothes. The Targus Gym Backpack, for example, includes a detachable laundry bag.
What about the backpack itself? Where will you store it? Several of the backpacks in this guide are compact. The best example is the Outlander Packable Backpack. Once emptied, it folds into its own zippered pocket. It also has a carabiner clip so you can hang the backpack in a locker.
Do you need to store your gym shoes or work shoes? Then you’ll want a backpack with a dedicated shoe compartment. Also, it should be ventilated. You’ll want to make sure your shoes are separate from your clothes. It’s true you can store shoes in a plastic bag inside the backpack. Still, why not have a pack that can handle carrying shoes in their own compartment? Our best overall, the King Kong CORE25, has a bottom compartment specifically for shoes.
Number Of Compartments
All the backpacks in this guide have several compartments. Many of them have smaller pockets for your small items. Many of them zipper shut. One example is the Outlander Packable Backpack. It has an internal zippered pocket to keep small items secure.
Also, many gym-goers store their weightlifting belt or other supplies in their backpack. The King Kong CORE25 Backpack, our best overall, has a designated area outside the pack for your belt. It has outside loops that the belt goes through for secure storage. This opens up more space inside the backpack.
The best gym backpack should be functional enough for your needs. It should also match your style. Make sure it fits your lifestyle as far as storage size. Also, be sure it’s easy to carry and store. Color is a personal choice. Some gym backpacks have simple gray, black or tan colors. Others have quite a few choices that include bright pink and orange. Consider the uses of the backpack and choose the color accordingly.
Do you wear your gym backpack several hours a day? Choose one that has padded shoulder straps. The MIER Duffel Backpack has a duffel-style carrying handle. That way, if your shoulders get sore, you can carry it like a briefcase.
The Fabric Used For Gym Backpacks
The most common materials used for gym backpacks are:
- Canvas – This is durable but not always water-resistant. Lighter colors can show stains easily.
- Polyester – This material is durable, lightweight, and water-resistant.
- Nylon – This is also a lightweight, water-resistant, and durable material.
The fabric you choose should be based on your needs. If you spend a lot of time outside, you’ll want one that’s weather-resistant. Generally, a gym backpack is durable and designed to last a long time.
Are you considering a gym backpack? The place to start is with our best overall, the King Kong CORE25 Backpack. Are you serious about your training? Then you bring a weightlifting belt with you. This pack lets you wrap the belt around the outside. As noted, you’ll have more room on the inside for all your gym gear. Nor to mention your work or school supplies.
Do you need something the size of a duffel bag? Do you want it in a backpack? The MIER Duffel Backpack is a large duffel bag. You can wear it as a backpack. If you want to carry it, detach the backpack straps. This pack has plenty of room. Plus, you can carry it or wear it on your back.
Do you need the most space-saving backpack you can find? The Outlander Packable Backpack folds up into a small zippered pocket. Plus, there’s a clip attached so you can hang it anywhere. Once it’s opened up, you’ll have plenty of room for all your gear.
No doubt, there’s a gym backpack for everybody. The one that fits your needs is the best gym backpack. Let’s train!