Gymnastic rings are traditionally used by gymnasts to develop upper body mass and strength.
Since gymnastic rings are an unstable way of training, they activate your core and upper body muscles in a way that traditional exercises don’t.
The rings are not fixed, so most of the stress is placed on the core and upper body stabilizer muscles. It requires strength, balance, and focus to keep the rings as steady as possible.
If you are interested in adding a new dimension to your training program, this guide will help you find the best gymnastics rings available.
Let’s check it out!
In a Hurry? Here is our top pick:
Quick Answer – The Best Gymnastics Rings
- PACEARTH Wood Gymnastics Rings – Best Overall
- Garage Fit Wood Gym Rings – The Best Wood Rings
- Rogue Steel Gymnastic Rings – Best Steel Rings
- Titan Wooden Gymnastics Rings – Best For General Training
- Double Circle Wood Gymnastic Rings – Best Adjustable Strap System
- Elite Gymnastic Rings – Best Budget Gymnastic Rings
- Emerge Wooden Olympic Gymnastic Rings – Best For Bodybuilders & Athletes
- Nayoya Gymnastic Rings – Best Plastic Gym Rings
- Evolutionize Power Gymnastic Rings – Best Rings For Smaller Users
- REP Fitness Wood Gymnastic Rings – Best Versatility
Reviews – The Best Gymnastics Rings
1. PACEARTH Wood Gymnastics Rings – Best Overall
The PACEARTH Wood Gymnastics Rings are made from birch wood and come in two sizes.
The 28mm size has a load-bearing capacity of 992lbs, while the 32mm size can handle 1500lbs.
The straps are 1.5” wide and have a scale on them to ensure the rings are both set at the same height. The straps are over 14’ long, and the buckle has a serrated edge for a secure fit.
The Rings include hand tape designed to improve grip and absorb sweat. The features make the PACEARTH Wood Gymnastics Rings our best overall.
- Durable Rings Made From Birch Wood
- Extra Wide Straps
- No-Slip, Sweat Absorbing Hand Tape For An Improved Grip
- The Tape May Not Stay Secure After Limited Use
2. Garage Fit Wood Gym Rings – The Best Wood Rings
The Garage Fit Wood Gym Rings are made from birch wood for durability and provide a solid grip.
These rings come with a 15’ long, 1.5” wide strap. There are two sizes, competition size (1.11”) with a load capacity of 440lbs, and standard (1.25”) with a load capacity of 550lbs.
The straps are numbered so you can hang them at the same height. They can be hung anywhere, inside or out. This means you can train outside if you prefer, and you can take them with you if you travel frequently.
- The Straps Come In Different Colors
- Made Using Durable Birch Wood
- Wide Straps For Strength
- The Straps May Be Too Long For Some Users
- The Wood Rings May Get Ruined If They Get Wet
3. Rogue Steel Gymnastic Rings – Best Steel Rings
The Rogue Steel Gymnastic Rings were the first product ever offered by Rogue. These rings are made using heavy-duty 14-gauge steel tubing and come with a lifetime warranty.
They feature a powder exterior coating designed to promote a secure grip. The straps are 16’ long, 1.5” wide, and use velcro fasteners.
Like most rings, the Steel Rings can be used anywhere, inside or outside, and make a great exercise choice for traveling.
If there’s a downside, the straps are not numbered, and no max load is provided. Still, the quality of these rings makes the Rogue Steel Gymnastic Rings the best steel rings.
- Steel Rings Feature A Lifetime Warranty
- Made Using 14-Gauge Steel
- 1.5” Wide Straps With Velcro Fasteners
- May Be Too Pricey For Some
- Load Capacity Not Listed On Website
4. Titan Wooden Gymnastics Rings – Best For General Training
The Titan Wood Gymnastics Rings are made to handle a load capacity of 600lbs. The rings are thick for a good grip, and the straps are 15’ long and 1.5” wide.
One of the best features of gymnastic rings is that they are portable, and the Titan Wooden Gymnastic Straps are no exception. They’re designed to be hung to a tree limb, or inside to a power rack or pull up bar.
They’re easy to carry with you if you travel, and can be used for gymnastics, Crossfit, bodybuilding, or strength training. The Titan Wooden Gymnastics Rings are truly the best choice for general training.
- Made To Handle 600lbs
- Long, Wide Straps For Durability
- Thick Rings For A Good Grip
- No Mention Of The Type Of Wood
- No Markings On The Straps
5. Double Circle Wood Gymnastic Rings – Best Adjustable Strap System
The Double Circle Wood Gymnastic Rings are made from heavy-duty wood and have a load capacity of up to 800lbs.
The straps are 1.5” wide and have a “working length” of 7.5’, which is equal to the usable length of longer straps. They also have reinforced anchor slots and are marked so you can set both rings to the same height.
The straps come with 4 sturdy carabiners rather than the common cam buckles.
The carabiners combined with the numbered hook system lets the user use 4″ adjustments for exact lengths. These features make the Double Circle Wood Gymnastic Rings with the best adjustable strap system.
- Holds Up To 800lbs
- Straps Have Reinforced Anchor Slots
- Included Ebook Good For Beginners
- Some Users May Not Like The Buckle System
- Some Users Have Complained Of Splinters
6. Elite Gymnastic Rings – Best Budget Gymnastic Rings
The Elite Gymnastics Rings are made using PC plastic and while there’s no max load rating, they do have a lifetime warranty.
The rings have a textured finish to improve grip. The straps are 15’ long and feature high-quality buckles.
There’s a jump rope included and an online instructional video.
One downside is that the straps are not marked, so lining them up may be difficult. Still, the features and excellent price point make the Elite Gym Rings the best budget gymnastics rings.
- Made From The Highest Quality Plastic
- Includes an Instructional DVD & Jump Rope
- Good Price Point
- No Load Capacity Rating
- Straps Are Not Measured
7. Emerge Wooden Olympic Gymnastic Rings – Best For Bodybuilders & Athletes
The Emerge Wooden Olympic Gymnastic Rings are made from a smooth high-quality wood that will not splinter.
The straps are made using military-grade webbing that’s 1.5” wide and 15’ long.
These rings can handle loads up to 800lbs. They can be used anywhere, inside or out, and are convenient enough for traveling.
Designed for professional athletes, they are a good choice for bodybuilding, strength training, and sport-specific training.
- Holds Up To 800lbs
- Smooth Wood Finish Won’t Splinter
- Professional Grade
- Type Of Wood Used In Manufacture Not Specified
8. Nayoya Gymnastic Rings – Best Plastic Gym Rings
The Nayoya Gymnastic Plastic Rings are made from PC plastic that has a textured design for a good grip.
These sturdy rings have a load capacity of 2000lbs. The straps are 12’ long and provide easy to read instructions on proper use.
The downside is that the straps may be a little short for some users. Still, these rings are ideal for anyone that’s a beginner or on a budget. They are the highest quality plastic rings available.
The features, price point, and quality make the Nayoya Gymnastic Rings the best plastic gym rings.
- Made From High Quality PC Plastic
- Advertised To Handle Up To 2000lbs.
- Good Price Point
- Not Much Information Provided On The Straps
9. Evolutionize Power Gymnastic Rings – Best Rings For Smaller Users
Evolutionize Power Gymnastics Rings are made from stainless steel and feature a textured finish for an improved grip.
They have a lifetime warranty and are 3rd party verified to hold up to 1200lbs.
The competition-quality straps are 12’ long and 1.5” wide. The straps are designed to set the ring height quickly and easily.
The strap system eliminates adjustable sliding buckles, as well as trying to set both rings at an even height.
The shorter straps make them easy to use by shorter users, such as teenagers, or women. That makes the Evolutionize Power Gymnastics Rings the best choice for smaller users.
- Holds 1200lbs
- Textured Steel Rings
- Straps Feature Clips Instead Of Buckles
- Straps May Be Too Short For Some Users
10. REP Fitness Wood Gymnastic Rings – Best Versatility
REP Fitness Wood Gymnastic Rings are made using baltic birch wood for durability. The rings are designed for users with large hands to help provide a firm grip.
The straps are numbered and are 1.5” wide. They can be ordered with or without the numbered markings.
There are two lengths available: 7.5’ or 14’ long. The straps feature no-slip cam-style buckles.
There are also two ring sizes, 1.11” and 1.25”, and the max load capacity is 600lbs.
All of these features make the REP Fitness Wood Gymnastics Rings the rings that provide the best versatility.
- Rings Available In Different Sizes
- Two Strap Lengths To Choose From
- Can Hold Up To 600lbs
- The Buckles May Not Seem Secure to Some Users
Buying Guide – How to Choose The Best Gymnastics Rings?
Training With Gymnastic Rings
Gymnastic rings have been traditionally used in strength training and of course gymnastics. Currently, they have become popular for virtually any style of training.
If you’re new to gymnastics rings, or new to training in general and are interested in trying rings, it’s important to have a base level of strength. This helps you get the most out of using gym rings in your workout routine.
Having said that, it’s important to understand that using gym rings does not require knowledge of or training in gymnastics. The rings can be used by anyone. But it may take time to build up your strength enough to get reasonable use out of them.
To get the most benefit out of gymnastics rings, you should be able to perform a minimum of:
- 15 parallel bar dips
- 15 regular push-ups
- 5 pull-ups
If you aren’t strong enough yet, keep working at building your strength, and do what you are able to on the gym rings. As you build your strength, here’s a good video that covers rings exercises for beginner, intermediate, and advanced:
Material Used To Make Gym Rings
The three materials used to make gymnastics rings are:
Wood – These are durable and are designed to provide a good grip. They are usually smooth to prevent splinters.
Plastic – This is a less expensive material and has a textured finish for a solid grip. They are less expensive than their wood or metal counterparts, making them a good choice for beginners or anyone on a budget.
Metal – This is the sort of material you’d expect to see at the playground in your local park or school. They are extremely durable and are textured for a good grip. Metal gymnastic rings are not as common as wood or plastic.
Gymnastics rings come in two sizes:
1.11” (28mm) – This is known as competition size. In this case, the size authorized by the International Federations of Gymnastics. These rings meet the gymnastics standards used by professional gymnasts in competition.
1.25” (3.1mm) – This is the standard gym size. You’ll usually find this size in most gyms.
You can buy either size for home use. The 1.11” size is best for users with smaller hands, and the 1.25” is a good choice for those with larger hands. Also, the extra thickness of the 1.25” size helps ensure a good grip.
Most straps are 1.5” wide, and many are 14-15’ long. The buckle system will vary from brand to brand.
When you see the load capacity of gymnastic rings, it’s referring to the straps. After all, the straps are what supports your weight. You’ll want to choose a set with a good load rating.
Some rings can handle well over 1000lbs, but since they just have to support your body weight, a set that can handle up to 600lbs is more than enough.
Many straps come with measurement markings so you can line up the rings easier. The manufacturer will include proper use of the strap system when you buy your gymnastics rings.
The Type Of Buckle System
There are primarily two types of buckles:
Cam – Many gymnastic rings use a cam buckle. This is the same kind of buckle that’s used to secure heavy loads before they are transported to their intended destination. They don’t slip, they’re durable, and they do a good job supporting your weight. The downside to this style of buckle is the time it takes adjusting them. Unless your straps have measurement markings, it can be difficult to adjust the rings to the same height.
Carabiner – This style is similar to the system used by mountain climbers on their harnesses. This style uses pre-set distances, making adjustments quick and easy. This style can be expensive, but it’s the preferred buckle system.
How To Set Up Gymnastic Rings
Most companies provide instructions on how to set up their rings. Since many companies use different straps and buckles, you’ll want to follow their specific instructions. Having said that, here’s a general 4 step guide to setting up gymnastics rings safely:
- Hang your straps over your chosen structure
- One end of the straps goes through the ring
- The same strap end goes through the buckle system, and this is where companies will have different instructions. It helps if you understand how your specific strap system works.
- Adjust to the height you want and you’re all set
Where You Can Set Up Your Gymnastic Rings
Since gymnastic rings can be hung from any beam or structure, you can hang them inside or outside.
Here are the most common structures you can hang them from:
- Outdoor pull up bar (such as you’d find at the local park)
- Pull-up bar that’s either wall or ceiling mounted
- Doorway pull-up bar in your home, as long as it is secure.
- A hotel room if you travel a lot, just make sure whatever you hang them from can support your weight
- Anchor set specifically designed for gymnastic rings. This allows them to be hung in your home gym
- Your power rack
- Any sturdy tree branch
Gymnastics rings can add an entirely new twist to your standard training program. As noted above, the instability of training with rings triggers stabilizer muscles and develops core strength.
If you want the best overall gymnastic rings, the PACEARTH Wood Gymnastics Rings are made from strong, durable birch wood. These rings come in two sizes, with the 28mm size capable of handling 992lbs and the 32mm size with a load capacity of 1500lbs.
If you would prefer steel rings, the Rogue Steel Gymnastic Rings are made using heavy-duty 14-gauge steel tubing and come with a lifetime warranty.
If you need a budget-conscious set, the Elite Gymnastic Rings are made using PC plastic, have a lifetime warranty, and a great price point.
There are gymnastics rings suitable for most styles of training, from sport-specific to bodybuilding to general fitness. The best choice is the one that fits your needs the most. Use our guide to get you started!