Hyaluronic acid is a compound that occurs in our body naturally. It is a component of our skin and joints.
In recent years it has become a very popular skin and joint ingredient. You can find it in joint support formulas, skin creams, and by itself.
There’s a lot of choices available regardless of what benefit it’s marketed for.
In this guide, we’ll look at the best hyaluronic acid supplements you can buy. Let’s get going!
In a Hurry? Here is our top pick:
Best Hyaluronic Acid Supplements
- Toniiq Hyaluronic Acid – Best Overall Hyaluronic Acid Supplement
- Bulksupplements Hyaluronic Acid – Best Powdered Hyaluronic Acid Supplement
- Advanced Clinicals Hyaluronic Acid Cream – Best Cream Hyaluronic Acid Supplement
- Puritans Pride Hyaluronic Acid – Best Budget Hyaluronic Acid Supplement
- Asterwood Naturals Hyaluronic Acid Serum – Best Serum Hyaluronic Acid Supplement
- Horbäach Hyaluronic Acid – Best For Joint Support
- Horbäach Hyaluronic Acid Liquid – Best Liquid Hyaluronic Acid Supplement
- Solgar Collagen Hyaluronic Acid Complex – Best Tablet Hyaluronic Acid Supplement
- NOW Foods Hyaluronic Acid – Best Quality Assurance
Reviews – The 9 Best Hyaluronic Acid Supplements
Toniiq Hyaluronic Acid – Best Overall Hyaluronic Acid Supplement
Here’s a look at what makes Toniiq Hyaluronic Acid our pick for best overall. Hyaluronic acid is an active ingredient in many joint supplements and skin supplements. Most manufacturers market their version for one or the other benefit.
Toniiq Hyaluronic Acid is formulated for joint health, skin health, and all its other benefits. A two capsule serving supplies 250mg hyaluronic acid plus 25mg vitamin C. This is the strongest dose of any hyaluronic acid supplement in this guide.
Toniiq Hyaluronic Acid is vegan-friendly and standardized to 95% purity. Every batch is 3rd party tested for active ingredients, purity, and quality.
- Designed As A General Purpose Hyaluronic Acid Supplement
- Non-GMO & Vegan-Friendly Capsules
- 3rd Party Tested
- Some Users Feel They Have To Wait Too Long To See Results
Bulksupplements Hyaluronic Acid – Best Powdered Hyaluronic Acid Supplement
Bulksupplements Hyaluronic Acid contains only one ingredient. There’s nothing else in this product besides hyaluronic acid. In fact, it’s our choice for the best powdered hyaluronic acid supplement.
One serving provides 141mg and you can take it up to twice per day. Add it to your juice, protein shake, or smoothie. If there’s a downside, users have to provide their own scale to measure the serving size. There’s no scoop provided.
Still, this is a superior quality product. It’s lab-verified and 3rd party tested for purity, potency, and quality.
- Pure – Only One Ingredient
- 3rd Party Tested & Verified
- 141mg Hyaluronic Acid Powder Per Serving
- No Scoop Provided
Advanced Clinicals Hyaluronic Acid Cream – Best Cream Hyaluronic Acid Supplement
There’s several benefits of hyaluronic acid, one is healthy skin. One of the best ways to use hyaluronic acid for the skin is with a moisturizing cream. Advanced Clinicals Hyaluronic Acid Cream is fortified with vitamin E, borage oil, and squalene.
It advertises the ability to attract 1000 times its weight in water. This formula hydrates the skin and reduces the appearance of wrinkles. It improves complexion and slows the appearance of aging. It has a good thickness, and you can use it every day. It’s our pick for the best hyaluronic acid cream.
- Hydrates The Skin
- Improves Complexion
- Fortified With Borage Oil & Vitamin E
- May Be Too Thick For Some Users
Puritans Pride Hyaluronic Acid – Best Budget Hyaluronic Acid Supplement
Here’s a supplement that supplies 100mg hyaluronic acid per one capsule serving. Puritans Pride Hyaluronic Acid capsules contain no artificial ingredients. The capsules are made from rice flour and gelatin.
This is marketed for joint health, which is one of the numerous benefits of hyaluronic acid. Puritans Pride Hyaluronic Acid is available in 2 sizes. It’s our pick for the best budget hyaluronic acid supplement.
- Formulated For Value Conscious Users
- Capsule Format – No Artificial Ingredients
- Available In Two Sizes
- The Capsules May Be Too Large To Swallow Comfortably For Some Users
Asterwood Naturals Hyaluronic Acid Serum – Best Serum Hyaluronic Acid Supplement
Here’s another hyaluronic acid product marketed specifically for healthy skin. It’s also our pick for the best hyaluronic acid serum. This supplement consists of distilled water and vegan sourced, organic hyaluronic acid.
Asterwood Naturals Hyaluronic Acid serum does not contain fragrances or oils.You can apply this formula to the skin by itself or blended with a moisturizer. It improves skin hydration, elasticity, and complexion.
- Vegan Sourced & Organic
- Apply It Alone Or Combined With Your Moisturizer
- Designed To Promote Healthy Skin
- Some Users Feel It Drys Out Their Skin
Horbäach Hyaluronic Acid – Best For Joint Support
Here’s a hyaluronic acid supplement designed specifically for joint health. In fact, it’s our pick as the best for joint support. Horbäach Hyaluronic Acid features a 1g complex consisting of 900mg MSM and 100mg hyaluronic acid. There’s 5mg sodium, and that’s it.
MSM is a common joint supplement found in many different joint formulas. The capsules are only ¾ inch long for easy swallowing. Horbäach Hyaluronic Acid is non-GMO and lab tested for quality.
- Combines Hyaluronic Acid & MSM For Joint Health
- Lab Tested For Quality
- Small Capsules For Easy Swallowing
- Some Users Want Additional Joint Health Ingredients
Horbäach Hyaluronic Acid Liquid – Best Liquid Hyaluronic Acid Supplement
This is our pick for the best liquid hyaluronic acid supplement. It’s a delicious berry-flavored, liquid hyaluronic acid formula. Mix Horbäach Hyaluronic Acid Liquid with juice or your favorite beverage.
One serving supplies 100mg hyaluronic acid. This is a vegetarian formula with zero artificial ingredients. It’s also milk, lactose, soy, and gluten-free. Finally, Horbäach Hyaluronic Acid Liquid is lab tested for quality & purity.
- Berry Flavored Liquid Formula Mixes With Any Beverage
- There’s No Artificial Ingredients
- Vegetarian Formula
- Some Don’t Like The Taste Compared To Other Liquid Brands
Solgar Collagen Hyaluronic Acid Complex – Best Tablet Hyaluronic Acid Supplement
This hyaluronic acid supplement supports both skin and joint health. Solgar Collagen Hyaluronic Acid Complex features Biocell Collagen ll, chondroitin sulfate, collagen type-II, and 120mg hyaluronic acid. There’s also vitamin C. This is a hard tablet delivery system. That means more ingredients are needed to make the tablet.
Still, this is our pick for the best tablet hyaluronic acid formula. It’s designed to boost collagen production, which helps both the skin and joints. This formula also improves skin hydration. It also supports healthy joints by improving mobility, lubrication, and function.
- Formulated For Joint & Skin Health
- Combines Biocell Collagen II, Chondroitin, & Hyaluronic Acid
- Tablet Delivery System
- Some Users Have Trouble Swallowing Hard Tablets
NOW Foods Hyaluronic Acid – Best Quality Assurance
NOW Foods Hyaluronic Acid combines 100mg hyaluronic acid with proline, ala, and grape seed. This creates a complete formula designed for joint health. With 100mg hyaluronic acid per capsule, this is NOW Foods double strength formula.
The capsules are small, and this product is vegan-friendly. It’s also certified gluten-free soy-free, sugar-free, non-GMO, kosher, nut-free, egg-free, and dairy-free.
It’s our pick for best quality assurance because it’s GMP Quality Assured. It has an NPA A-rated GMP certification. This means that all aspects of manufacturing are inspected. This includes NOW Foods laboratory/testing methods for potency and product formulation.
- GMP Inspected For Quality
- Double Strength Formula
- Designed Specifically For Joint Health
- Some Users Prefer Other Forms Over Capsules
Buying Guide – How To Choose The Best Hyaluronic Acid Supplements?
What Is Hyaluronic Acid?
Hyaluronic acid is a sugar compound that occurs naturally in our skin, joints, and eyes. As we age, our body’s levels of hyaluronic acid decrease. However, we can maintain normal levels by using hyaluronic acid supplements.
What Are The Benefits Of Hyaluronic Acid?
Here’s a look at the benefits of hyaluronic acid supplements:
Promotes Healthy Skin
One of the natural functions of hyaluronic acid is to hydrate the skin. One of the ways it does this is to bind with water. This means your skin retains as much water as possible. Hyaluronic acid also prevents skin moisture from evaporating. It supports healthy skin and increases elasticity. These benefits improve complexion and help the skin look younger. (1)
Lubricates The Joints
Hyaluronic acid also occurs in our joints, in-between the spaces of the bones. It keeps joints lubricated and prevents the bones from rubbing together. One of the specific forms of arthritis hyaluronic acid can help with is osteoarthritis. This is a degenerative joint disease caused by normal wear and tear. Besides improved lubrication, hyaluronic acid helps ease joint pain. (2)
Improves Wound Healing
We know that hyaluronic acid occurs in the skin. This means it can help wounds heal faster. It does this by reducing inflammation. It also helps the body create more blood vessels.
Relieves Dry Eyes
Dry eyes affect 1 out of 7 older adults. This is because the natural production of tears is reduced as we age. In addition, tears evaporate faster. As noted, hyaluronic acid holds moisture, making it ideal for dry eyes. (3)
Supports Bone Strength
Recent studies conducted on animals suggest that hyaluronic acid can slow bone loss. Human studies are still needed to confirm, but hyaluronic acid may help increase bone strength.
What Forms Does Hyaluronic Acid Supplements Come In?
Hyaluronic acid supplements are available in several forms. They come in the following:
- Powder – The powder versions can be mixed into juice or your favorite beverage. You can also add them to your shake or smoothie.
- Capsules – These are usually small and easy to swallow. Only 1-2 ingredients are needed to make the capsule. Additionally, they are designed to slide down your throat easily.
- Tablets – A hard tablet will always need more ingredients to make it. It may be bigger and harder to swallow than a capsule.
- Liquid – By itself, a liquid may not taste good. It’s a good idea to mix it in with your favorite smoothie, shake, or beverage.
- Serum – Many beauty hyaluronic acid supplements come in this form. You can rub it straight on the skin or mix it with your favorite cream.
- Cream – This form can be marketed as a joint or skin product. Usually, they contain other ingredients designed to support the function of the product.
What Should I Consider In A Hyaluronic Acid Supplement?
When considering a good hyaluronic acid supplement, you should make sure it does not have any artificial ingredients.
Some supplements, such as Bulksupplements Hyaluronic Acid powder, contain only one ingredient. Others, such as Solgar Collagen Hyaluronic Acid Complex, may contain several “other” ingredients. This is because it takes several ingredients to make the tablets.
In addition, some of the hyaluronic acid supplements in this guide are formulas. This means they contain a complex of active ingredients. A good example is Horbäach Hyaluronic Acid which contains MSM. Another example is Solgar Collagen Hyaluronic Acid Complex, which contains Biocell collagen-II, and chondroitin.
Finally, labels should state whether or not the product is vegan, non-GMO, or gluten-free. Some labels may have other information. Others state that the product is 3rd party tested. NOW Foods products have several certifications and 3rd party tested seals on their labels. Another good example of this is Bulksupplements products.
How To Use Hyaluronic Acid Supplements
The average dose of hyaluronic acid is between 80-200mg per day. No adverse effects have been reported from going higher. However, the best upper limit is 300mg per day. Still, make sure you follow all the directions included with the hyaluronic acid supplement of your choice.
The best hyaluronic acid supplements can help ease joint pain and improve the skin’s elasticity and appearance. There’s quite a few choices, and they range from powder to capsules to creams.
If you want the best overall, you want Toniiq Hyaluronic Acid. This is a capsule version standardized to 95% purity. It’s marketed for all the benefits hyaluronic acid has to offer. Finally, it has the strongest dose of any of the supplements in this guide.
If you prefer a skin-care moisturizing cream, Advanced Clinicals Hyaluronic Acid Cream is your best option. It’s fortified with vitamin E and borage oil. This is a thick cream that hydrates the skin and improves the skin’s complexion.
Finally, if you’re looking for a specific joint formula, Horbäach Hyaluronic Acid is the best choice for you. One serving provides a 1000mg complex that breaks down to 100mg hyaluronic acid and 900mg MSM. This product comes in easy to swallow capsules.
The best hyaluronic supplement is the one formulated to meet your personal needs. Use our guide to help find the right choice for you!
- Papakonstantinou, E., Roth, M., & Karakiulakis, G. (2012). Hyaluronic acid: A key molecule in skin aging. Dermato-endocrinology, 4(3), 253–258. https://doi.org/10.4161/derm.21923
- Kogan, G., Soltés, L., Stern, R., & Gemeiner, P. (2007). Hyaluronic acid: a natural biopolymer with a broad range of biomedical and industrial applications. Biotechnology letters, 29(1), 17–25. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10529-006-9219-z
- Javadi, M. A., & Feizi, S. (2011). Dry eye syndrome. Journal of ophthalmic & vision research, 6(3), 192–198.