If you’re planning to start a weight loss program, one of the best ways to begin is to do a quick cleanse and detox.
The use of laxatives can help cleanse the system of toxins and built-up waste, as well as improve digestion. This will help you absorb your meals more efficiently.
Laxatives can also help remove excess water retention and bloating. This means that the best laxatives for weight loss can help your belly look flatter and take those first few pounds off the scale quickly.
This guide will help you make the right choice for your needs. Let’s get going!
In a Hurry? Here is our top pick:
Quick Answer – The Best Laxatives For Weight Loss
- Tobias Colon 14 Day Cleanse – Best Overall
- Modern Products Swiss Kriss Herbal Laxative – Best For Sensitive Users
- BioSchwartz Colon Detox & Cleanser – Best Gentle Formula
- Nutracraft Colon Clean – Best For Beginners
- MiraLAX Laxative Powder for Gentle Constipation Relief – Best Mainstream Laxative
- The Enclare Nutrition Natural Colon Cleanser – Best For Women
- Bo Colon Magic – Best Budget Laxative For Weight Loss
- Research Labs 15 Day Cleanse & Detox – Best For Fast-Acting Results
- Nature’s Secret 15-Day Weight Loss Support – Cleanse & Flush – Best Complete Laxative For Weight Loss
- BiOptimizers ConstiCleanse – Best For Occasional Use
Reviews – The Best Laxatives For Weight Loss
1. Tobias Colon 14 Day Cleanse – Best Overall
Dr. Tobias Colon 14 Day is a capsule-based product that features a fully disclosed label. It’s a combination of fiber, herbs, probiotics, and MCTs.
This product is designed to support weight loss, reduce bloating, promote normal bowel movement, and increase energy.
It’s a gentle 14 day cleanse that will stimulate improved digestive function, including normal, healthy bowel movements. It also improves energy levels and jumpstarts weight loss.
Dr. Tobias Colon 14 Day Cleanse is 3rd party tested for purity, quality, and potency. 5 Stars.
- All Natural
- Designed For Men & Women
- Fast Acting – Gentle Formula
- Capsules May Be Too Large For Some Users
- May Cause Excessive Gas
2. Modern Products Swiss Kriss Herbal Laxative – Best For Sensitive Users
Swiss Kriss Herbal Laxative is available in a powder or capsule version, and it’s 100% natural. The formula contains a blend of herbs and fiber.
It’s designed to be used as needed and can help kickstart a weight loss program by improving digestion, supporting healthy bowel function, and eliminating toxins.
Swiss Kriss will also help alleviate excess water retention.
The only downside is that it’s a prop blend. Otherwise, the gentle formula and occasional suggested use mean Swiss Kriss is ideal for sensitive users. 4 Stars.
- Fast Acting
- Does Not Cause Cramps
- Capsule Or Powder Versions Available
- May Cause Cramps In Sensitive Users
- Some Users Feel It Provides Inconsistent Results
3. BioSchwartz Colon Detox & Cleanser – Best Gentle Formula
BioSchwartz Colon Detox & Cleanser is a 15 day cleanse that contains herbs, fiber, and probiotics. It’s a 100% natural, capsule-based formula.
This formula gently helps reduce excess water retention and promote normal bowel movements.
BioSchwartz Colon Detox & Cleanser will help remove years of built-up toxins and is designed to be fast-acting.
This product helps users get off to a good weight loss start while providing a gentle yet effective cleanse. 4 Stars.
- 3rd Party Tested For Quality, Potency & Purity
- 100% Natural
- Helps Jumpstart Weight Loss
- Sensitive Users May Experience Nausea
4. Nutracraft Colon Clean – Best For Beginners
Nutracraft Colon Clean features a fully disclosed label and consists of herbal laxatives and probiotics.
Colon Clean can be used as a 15-day detox to help remove built-up toxins, cleanse the system, and promote weight loss.
You can also use this product as needed to maintain a healthy digestive system and prevent toxin buildup.
There’s also a free ebook about digestive health that comes with the purchase. This helps beginners understand how to use a product like this for the best results. 4 Stars.
- Use As Needed Or As A 15 Day Cleanse
- Features A Fully Disclosed Label
- Free Ebook Included With Purchase
- Some Users May Experience Cramps
5. MiraLAX Laxative Powder for Gentle Constipation Relief – Best Mainstream Laxative
Everyone knows MiraLAX, it’s one of the leading mainstream laxatives on the market. This is a tasteless powder that can be mixed with anything.
It’s not a natural product, yet it’s gentle and will not cause some of the side effects you might see in other products, such as cramps.
The active ingredient, polyethylene glycol, does have several uses other than medical, but it is a common laxative ingredient.
For those that only want an all-natural solution, this is not the product for you.
However, for those that want an effective formula, MiraLAX is the best mainstream laxative for weight loss. 5 Stars.
- Mixes In Any Hot Or Cold Beverage
- No Taste
- Won’t Cause Cramps
- The Active Ingredient Is Synthetic
6. The Enclare Nutrition Natural Colon Cleanser – Best For Women
The Enclare Nutrition Natural Colon Cleanser is a 15-day detox, as are many of the products on this list.
This product features a fully disclosed label and contains natural laxatives, herbs, fibers, probiotics, and digestive enzymes.
It also includes aloe to soothe the intestinal lining, and MCT’s to encourage energy.
Natural Colon Cleanser will promote healthy digestion, improve energy, remove waste, and eliminate toxins. It supports weight loss and targets belly fat. It’s also designed to be gentle on the stomach.
All these features make it the best laxative for women. 4 Stars.
- Features A Fully Disclosed Label
- Targets Belly Fat
- 100% Natural
- May Not Work Effectively For Se Users
7. Bo Colon Magic – Best Budget Laxative For Weight Loss
Dr. Bo Colon Magic contains a blend of herbal laxatives, and fibers, as well as aloe to ease intestinal discomfort.
This is a doctor-formulated, 15-day, all-natural product that’s been 3rd party tested and certified.
This is a capsule-based product but features small capsules, and is designed to be gentle.
The downside to this formula is the prop blend. Still, it supports normal bowel movements, removes toxins, and stimulates weight loss effectively.
The low price point makes it the best budget laxative for weight loss. 4 Stars.
- All Natural – Doctor Formulated
- 3rd Party Tested For Potency, Purity & Quality
- Small Capsules
- May Not Be Strong Enough For All Users
8. Research Labs 15 Day Cleanse & Detox – Best For Fast-Acting Results
Research Labs 15 Day Cleanse & Detox contains herbal laxatives, aloe, MCTs, probiotics, and has no artificial ingredients.
This is a capsule-based product and features full disclosure labeling. It supports energy, promotes healthy digestion, and relieves bloating. It enhances energy & metabolism and removes built-up toxins.
All of these benefits support weight loss.
This product is formulated to be quick acting and easy to use. This makes it the best laxative for quick results. 4.5 Stars.
- Full Disclosure Labeling
- All Natural Ingredients
- Supports Weight Loss, Energy & Digestion
- Some Users Feel It Does Not Work Effectively For All 15 Days
9. Nature’s Secret 15-Day Weight Loss Support – Cleanse & Flush – Best Complete Laxative For Weight Loss
Nature’s Secret 15-Day Weight Loss Support-Cleanse & Flush is an all-natural, fully transparent detox and cleanse.
It features 20 laxatives, diuretics, and superfoods, but there is a 5-ingredient prop blend.
This formula is a little unique due to the addition of diuretics and helps reduce bloating and promote a flatter stomach.
This is a tablet formula that’s suggested to be used with plenty of water, both when you take the capsules and throughout the 15 days.
It’s designed to provide a cleanse that’s gentle and won’t cause gastric discomfort.
The balanced approach to the formula and the addition of diuretics creates the most complete laxative formula. 4.5 Stars.
- Full Disclosure Labeling
- Comprehensive Formula That Includes Diuretics
- Tablet-Based Formula
- May Not Work Well For Sensitive Users
10. BiOptimizers ConstiCleanse – Best For Occasional Use
BiOptimizers ConstiCleanse is a 100% natural formula that’s fully disclosed. This is a simpler formula than many on this list and consists of herbal laxatives and digestive enzymes.
This product is meant to activate weight loss yet it’s not designed as a quick 15 day cleanse.
There are 90 capsules per container and it’s meant to be taken only 2-3 times a week. However, it can be used daily if needed.
It’s designed to eliminate the “backed up” feeling many users experience and stimulate weight loss.
BiOptimizers ConstiCleanse is the best laxative for occasional use. 4.5 Stars.
- Simple, Fully Disclosed Formula
- Use It Daily Or 2-3 Times Per Week
- 100% Natural
- Some Users Experienced Poor Customer Service
Buying Guide – How to choose The Best Laxatives For Weight Loss?
What Are Laxatives?
A laxative can be defined as a medication that’s used to treat constipation by encouraging bowel movements. (1)
A natural laxative will contain herbal extracts instead of synthetic ingredients. All but one of the laxatives in this guide are natural.
In general, laxatives are used when you’re feeling constipated and need a little extra help. They can also be used to cleanse the system, eliminate toxins, and kick off a weight loss program. Usually, this involves a 15 day cleanse.
Can Laxatives Help Weight Loss?
If you experience irregular bowel movements, it can lead to bloating and weight gain in your stomach. The discomfort of this experience may lead to lethargy and fatigue, resulting in a loss of activity. Of course, many people that are overweight suffer from a lack of activity and poor food choices, as well as often dealing with gastric problems that contribute to lethargy.
The use of laxatives for weight loss is common. As noted above, laxatives can speed up the process of elimination, improving digestion, and remove toxins that build up over time. They also eliminate excess water weight.
The removal of toxins is tied into the concept that some users wishing to use laxatives for weight loss have as much as 10lbs of compacted waste and toxins in their system.
However, while your stomach may look flatter after a cleanse, much of the weight loss is water weight. You’re not going to see a loss of body fat, and calories will still matter.
This means that if you’re using laxatives as a means to lose weight, you still have to make dietary changes and become more active. Laxatives will help you get started but are not the only component.
The Most Common Ingredients In Laxatives
- Psyllium Husk Powder – This is a soluble fiber that comes from the seeds of Plantago ovata, an herb that’s grown mainly in India. Psyllium is a bulk-forming natural laxative. (2)
- Senna Leaf – This ingredient is an herb from the legume family that’s commonly used as a laxative. (3)
- Cascara Sagrada Bark – This ingredient is a shrub native to western North America that contains compounds called anthraquinones that have laxative effects. (4)
- Flaxseed Powder – This is a common food ingredient. Among other benefits, flax contains healthy fats. It has also been shown to relieve constipation. (5)
- Slippery Elm – This is a type of elm tree that’s native to eastern North America. It’s a soluble fiber, however, there is little research to back its effectiveness. (6)
- Ginger – This is a tropical plant that originates in Southeast Asia. It’s also known to relieve stomach discomfort. (7)
- Aloe Vera – This is a plant that’s cultivated for several uses, many of which are cosmetic. It’s thought to be a treatment for constipation, but at this time there is not enough research.
- Acidophilus – This is a healthy bacteria that exists naturally in the body and is sold as a supplement.
- Polyethylene Glycol – This is the synthetic active ingredient found in products such as MiraLAX. It has multiple uses that range from manufacturing to medicine. (8)
How Long Does It Take Laxatives to Work?
Laxatives typically work quickly, but still depends on several factors, such as:
- How sensitive you are to them. If you use them on a long-term basis, you may develop a tolerance. This means you would need a larger quantity or you would have to use them longer.
- Your body weight plays a role in how fast a laxative can work.
- Your diet also plays a role, high fiber foods will have a greater laxative effect than low fiber foods.
- The type of laxative you are using will have an impact. Are you using a formula that’s designed to act quickly? Or are you using something more gentle that acts over time?
The Types Of Laxatives
There are various forms of laxatives and each type works differently. The main classes of laxatives are: (9)
- Bulk-forming laxatives – This type of laxative moves through the body undigested, absorbs water, and swells to form a stool.
- Stool softeners – This type increases the amount of water that’s absorbed by stool to make it softer.
- Lubricant laxatives – This type coats the surface of the stool and intestinal lining to keep in moisture and to soften stool.
- Osmotic-type laxative – This type helps the colon retain more water, which can lead to more frequent bowel movements.
- Saline laxatives – These draw water into the small intestine to promote bowel movement.
- Stimulant laxatives – These speed up the digestive system movement to stimulate a bowel movement.
Advantages of Laxatives
When laxatives are used as directed, they can have the following benefits:
- They support weight loss by removing built-up waste and toxins
- They promote normal, healthy bowel movements
- Laxatives detoxify the body and contribute to the removal of excess water retention
- They help relieve constipation
Disadvantages Of Laxatives
Abuse of laxatives may cause health issues. Before using a laxative, read and follow all label directions. There’s usually a list of precautions to follow, and you may be required to drink a lot of water during your cleanse. It should be noted that you should plan to be at home when you begin a cleanse. It makes sense to see how a laxative affects you before you attempt to leave home and fulfill your usual obligations.
The following are some side effects and dangers of laxative abuse:
- Constipation – Extended use of laxatives can lead to hampered intestinal function. As a result, they may lose their ability to push out the stool.
- Fluid loss – A loss of water from the intestines could cause dehydration. Symptoms include feeling dizzy, fainting, thirst, headache, and reduced urination.
- Electrolyte imbalance – With some laxatives, there may be an imbalance of the electrolyte minerals: sodium, potassium, and chloride. This can cause such problems as irregular heartbeat, and weakness.
- Bloody stools – Some laxatives can irritate the colon and intestines, which can lead to bloody diarrhea.
There are some good choices when it comes to laxatives for weight loss. The best overall is Tobias Colon 14 Day Cleanse. This product is 3rd party tested, works quickly and gently. It is formulated to help weight loss by removing excess water weight and toxins, as well as improving digestion.
If you want something that’s more for occasional use, yet still helps you achieve your weight loss goals, BiOptimizers ConstiCleanse is the best choice.
If you want the best mainstream product and don’t mind that it’s synthetic, MiraLAX Laxative is the best choice.
If you need a laxative for weight loss, this is the place to start!
- Cirillo C, Capasso R. Constipation, and botanical medicines: An overview. Phytother Res. 2015;29(10):1488-93. doi:10.1002/ptr.5410
- Hanif palla A, Gilani AH. Dual effectiveness of Flaxseed in constipation and diarrhea: Possible mechanism. J Ethnopharmacol. 2015;169:60-8. doi:10.1016/j.jep.2015.03.064
- MedlinePlus. Slippery Elm. Updated November 5, 2017.