Protein powder is one of the most popular supplements on the market. Their use goes beyond bodybuilding or athletics. Nowadays, anyone that cares about their health starts their day with a protein smoothie or shake.
For optimum health benefits, many people want to use an all-natural protein with nothing artificial added. If you’re looking for such “clean” protein powder, keep on reading! This guide will give you the 10 best protein powders without artificial sweetener.
In a hurry? Here is our top pick:
Quick Answer – The Best Protein Powders Without Artificial Sweeteners
- NutraBio 100% Whey Protein Isolate Unflavored – Best Overall
- Opportuniteas Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder Isolate – Best For Baking
- Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein Powder Natural Unsweetened – Best Vegan Protein
- BulkSupplements Paleo Beef Protein Powder Isolate – Best Beef Protein
- Naked Nutrition Naked Casein Protein Powder – Best Casein Protein
- Garden of Life Raw Organic Meal – Best Meal Replacement
- Judee’s Gluten Free Unflavored Gluten Free Egg White Powder – Best Egg White Protein
- NOW Sports Nutrition Organic Pea Protein – Best Pea Protein
- Muscle Feast Premium Blend Protein – Best Protein Blend
- Nutricost Whey Protein Concentrate (Unflavored) – Best Budget
Reviews – The Best Protein Powders Without Artificial Sweeteners
1. NutraBio 100% Whey Protein Isolate Unflavored – Best Overall
NutraBio 100% Whey Protein Isolate Unflavored provides 25g of whey isolate protein per serving. If you buy the unflavored version, there are no other ingredients.
NutraBio has earned an excellent reputation primarily because of its dedication to fully transparent labels. Their full disclosure labeling has helped redefine industry standards.
100% Whey Protein Isolate contains zero fillers and uses filtered and cold-processed WPI 90. This is the purest isolate on the market.
This protein is non-GMO, zero-soy and virtually no carbs. It’s also low in cholesterol and kosher dairy. It contains zero sugar, fat, or additives.
These features make NutraBio 100% Whey Protein Isolate the best overall protein powder without artificial sweeteners.
- 100% Fully Disclosed Label
- 25g Pure Whey Isolate Protein
- 3rd Party Tested For Purity
- Unflavored Taste May Not Appeal To Everyone
2. Opportuniteas Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder Isolate – Best For Baking
Opportuniteas Grass-Fed Whey Isolate contains 29.7g of protein with less than 1% non-GMO soy lecithin added for mixability.
There’s nothing else in this product. It’s gluten-free and non-GMO and made using low temperature drying to improve the taste. It also features a fully disclosed label.
This protein mixes easily.The unflavored version can be used in smoothies, shakes, food, and recipes such as protein pancakes, or any recipe you’d like.
- 29.7g Protein Per Serving
- Can Be Used For Baking
- 100% Grass-Fed Whey Isolate
- May Be Too Pricey For Some Users
3. Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein Powder Natural Unsweetened – Best Vegan Protein
Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein Powder provides a 21g blend of organic pea, rice, and chia seed protein per serving. These sources supply a complete premium-quality plant-based protein blend.
This protein has 15g of slow-burning carbs with zero sugar. It contains no artificial ingredients and it’s USDA certified organic and 100% vegan. It’s also gluten-free, contains zero soy, plus it’s certified kosher, and non-GMO.
It’s a versatile protein, you can use it for baking, or mix it in the smoothie or shake of your choice.
Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein Powder is the best vegan protein powder without artificial sweeteners.
- 21g Organic Pea, Rice, And Chia Seed Protein Per Serving
- No Artificial Ingredients
- You Can Use It For A Shake, Or You Can Use It To Bake With
- May Not Be Appropriate For All Low Carb Diets
4. BulkSupplements Paleo Beef Protein Powder Isolate – Best Beef Protein
Bulksupplements Paleo Beef Protein Powder Isolate contains 27g of protein per serving. That’s it. There’s nothing else in this product.
This is a good choice for bodybuilders, athletes, and fitness-minded individuals because it promotes muscle growth, recovery, and immune system health.
It’s also a good choice for low carb dieters as it contains zero carb.
If there’s a downside, it’s the taste. It’s going to have a heavy beef flavor that may not appeal to some users.
Still, Bulksupplements Beef Protein Isolate is the best beef protein powder without artificial sweeteners.
- 26g Beef Isolate Protein Per Serving
- Only One Ingredient
- Excellent Value
- Unflavored – Some Users Won’t Like The Beef Taste
5. Naked Nutrition Naked Casein Protein Powder – Best Casein Protein
Naked Nutrition Naked Casein Protein Powder provides 26g of micellar casein protein per serving.
Micellar is the purest form of casein and that is the only ingredient in this product.
Naked Casein is ideal for use right before bedtime because it’s a slow-digesting protein. The slow digestion speed makes it a great choice for recovery.
It’s not only a nighttime protein but also a good choice for active users that may not have time to sit down to scheduled meals. The slow digestion speed means the protein will stay with you most of the day.
Since Naked Casein is unflavored, it can be added to virtually any smoothie or shake. The extended rate of digestion and premium quality make Naked Nutrition Naked Casein the best casein protein powder without artificial sweeteners.
- 26g Micellar Casein Per Serving
- Only One Ingredient
- Slow Digesting Protein
- Some Users May Not Like The Taste
6. Garden of Life Raw Organic Meal – Best Meal Replacement
Garden of Life Raw Organic Meal provides 20g of organic protein per serving. It also contains 12g of carbs, as well as organic vanilla flavoring.
There are no artificial sweeteners of any kind. Raw Organic is lightly sweetened with natural, organic stevia.
The plant-based protein blend consists of 14 sources, there’s an organic fiber blend, and an organic fruit & vegetable blend.
There’s also an organic greens blend, a whole food vitamin/mineral blend, and a probiotic blend.
All of these blends create a nutrient-dense meal replacement powder that’s high in premium-quality plant protein.
- 100% Organic
- 14 Plant-Based Protein Blend
- Nutrient Dense
- Some Users May Not Like The Texture & Taste
7. Judee’s Gluten Free Unflavored Gluten Free Egg White Powder – Best Egg White Protein
Judee’s Gluten Free Paleo Egg White Powder provides 20g protein per serving.
There are only two ingredients in this product: egg white powder and sunflower lecithin.
The lecithin is added to improve mixability. It’s unflavored and contains zero artificial sweeteners.
This egg white protein is gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free, and non-GMO. It’s a versatile product, you can bake with it or add it to your shakes or smoothies.
All of these benefits make Judee’s Gluten Free Paleo Protein Egg White Powder the best egg white protein powder without artificial sweeteners.
- 20g Egg White Protein Per Serving
- Zero Sugar
- Drink It Or Bake With It
- Some Users Will Not Like The Taste
8. NOW Sports Nutrition Organic Pea Protein – Best Pea Protein
NOW Sports Pea Protein contains 24g pea isolate per serving. Yellow Peas are the only ingredient.
Pea isolate protein is a complete protein that digests easily. For that reason, this is a good choice for users that have problems digesting other types of proteins.
Unlike most vegan proteins, it does not have to be combined with other vegan protein sources to create a complete protein.
Pea has a medium digestion speed, making it a good choice for use during the day at work or school.
It’s also a good choice to use between meals. You can add it to your favorite shake or smoothie.
These features make Now Sports Pea Protein the best pea protein powder without artificial sweeteners.
- 24g Of Pea Isolate Protein Per Serving
- Only One Ingredient
- Medium Digesting Protein
- High In Sodium
9. Muscle Feast Premium Blend Protein – Best Protein Blend
Muscle Feast Premium Blend Protein provides 22g of whey hydrolysate, whey isolate, and micellar casein per serving.
This product is all-natural. The only other ingredient is sunflower lecithin to promote mixability.
This protein is an ideal choice for bodybuilders and athletes because it features slow and fast digesting proteins. It’s a good protein for post-workout use, or any time of the day.
It’s unflavored and can be mixed with any smoothie or beverage. These benefits make Muscle Feast Premium Blend the best protein blend without artificial sweeteners.
- 22g Slow & Fast Digesting Proteins
- Ideal For Use Anytime Of The Day Or Night
- Contains Zero Artificial Ingredients
- Some Users Do Not Like The Taste Of Unflavored Protein
10. Nutricost Whey Protein Concentrate (Unflavored) – Best Budget
Nutricost Whey Protein Concentrate provides 25g protein per serving.
There are no other ingredients in this product. It contains only high quality, unflavored, undenatured, pure whey protein concentrate. It’s also non-GMO and gluten-free. However, there is 1g of naturally occurring sugar per serving.
This protein can be mixed into any smoothie, shake, or yogurt.
One of the best things about this protein is that it comes in at a good price point. It is the best budget protein powder without artificial sweeteners.
- 25g Whey Concentrate Per Serving
- Only One Ingredient
- Good Price Point
- Only Unflavored Is Free Of Artificial Sweeteners
Buying Guide – How To Choose The Best Protein Powder Without Artificial Sweeteners?
Artificial Sweeteners Defined
Artificial sweeteners are sugar substitutes made synthetically that taste similar to natural sugars. They usually do not contain any calories, so they will have minimal impact on your metabolism. Many companies use them when they flavor their protein powders. They are considered controversial and may have several negative side effects. Here’s a look at the currently FDA approved artificial sweeteners:
- Acesulfame K – Also known as acesulfame potassium. It’s about 200 times sweeter than regular sugar, and it’s sold under the brand names Sweet One and Sunett. You’ll find it in many sports nutrition supplements, especially pre-workout and protein powders. (1)
- Aspartame – This artificial sweetener consists of two amino acids: aspartic acid and phenylalanine. It’s sold under the brand names NutraSweet and Equal. (2)
- Neotame – This is as common as the other artificial sweeteners on this list. Produced by the makers of NutraSweet, it is considerably sweeter than sugar and is considered similar to Aspartame. (3)
- Saccharin – This sweetener is 300-400 times sweeter than sugar. It’s made from the chemical phthalic anhydride, a compound used in the manufacture of plastics. (4)
- Sucralose – This is made from sugar and sold under the brand name Splenda. It’s 400-700 times sweeter than sugar. It’s advertised to be calorie-free yet it contains 3 calories per gram. However, since only very small amounts are required any calories ingested are minimal. (5)
What Are The Controversies Of Artificial Sweeteners
Some of the claims against artificial sweeteners are that they may inhibit weight loss and increased hunger. Another claim is that they increase blood sugar, blood pressure, and may contribute to excess belly fat. There are also claims that they may cause cancer. (6, 7, 8, 9)
What Are Natural Sweeteners
Natural sweeteners are becoming a popular replacement for sugar and artificial sweeteners. Compounds such as stevia and monk fruit are considered to be healthier options. You will see either of these two in many “natural” protein powders. Let’s take a brief look at each:
Stevia – This natural sweetener comes from the leaves of the stevia plant. This plant is commonly found in countries such as Brazil and Paraguay. It has 30-150 times the sweetness of sugar and is not metabolized by the body. There are no reported negative side effects at this time. (10)
Monk Fruit – This natural sweetener originates in southern China and northern Thailand. It has 150-250 times the sweetness of sugar and has zero calories. At this time, it has no reported negative side effects. (11)
The Reasons Protein Is Important
The three macronutrients required by the body are protein, carbohydrates, and fats.
Protein is considered to be the most important. While our bodies consist of apporximately 60% water, but most of our dry weight is made of protein.
One of the main components of protein is amino acids. They are commonly called the “building blocks” of protein. This is because they are used in countless sequences, or chains, which then control hundreds of daily functions in the body.
Not all amino acids are made in the body, some must come from food and supplements. This means that daily protein needs must be met, therefore, protein must be ingested throughout the day.
Your daily protein should come from whole foods and quality protein powder.
Sufficient daily protein is important for everyone. This is especially true for bodybuilders, athletes, and anyone that regularly exercises. (12, 13)
The Benefits Of Protein
In terms of fitness, protein provides the following benefits:
- Promotes Muscle Growth
- Supports Post-Workout Recovery
- Helps The Body Maintain An Anabolic Environment
- Helps Promote Fat Loss
- Prevents Catabolism
Types Of Protein
There are quite a few sources of high-quality protein available on the market. Most companies make various types of protein powder. The better companies offer at least one option that’s natural, meaning it will have no artificial sweeteners or any other artificial ingredients.
Whey Concentrate – This is the most common form of whey protein. It’s 80% protein with the remaining 20% consisting of carbs and fats.
Whey Isolate – This is the highest quality form of whey, and is considered the best protein you can buy. It will be at least 90% protein.
Egg White – Before the introduction of whey, egg white protein was considered the best protein you could buy. It’s a superior protein that has a medium rate of digestion.
Casein is a high-quality protein that’s known as a slow-digesting protein. There are mainly two types of casein:
Calcium Caseinate – This is the most common form of casein protein. It’s taken from the insoluble part of milk and then undergoes a purification process to make it usable.
Micellar Casein – This is the purest form of casein protein available. This is the type of casein to look for in a good protein powder.
Milk Protein Isolate – This is a high-quality blend of casein and whey. This offers the fast and slow digestion benefits of both.
Plant-Based – This can be any combination of plant-based proteins. Pea and brown rice are the most common, but some powders include as many as 14 plant-based protein sources in their product. This is a medium digesting protein powder that has become a hot trend in recent years.
Beef – This has become a common protein source in recent years and is used primarily in Paleo and low carb diet protein powders. It’s also a good protein for bodybuilding and powerlifting.
What To Look For In A Protein Powder Without Artificial Sweeteners
Here’s what to look for in a protein powder that does not contain artificial sweeteners:
- Quality Ingredients – Look for high-quality protein and the cleanest possible formula. That means no artificial ingredients, fillers, or additives. Many of the choices in this guide only contain 1-2 ingredients.
- Protein – Look for at least 20g of protein per serving, anything less isn’t worth it. Most protein powders range from 20g to as high as 30g. Some powders may require 2 scoops for a 30g serving.
- Value – Don’t pay more than you have to. What’s the cost per serving, and how many servings are in the product?
- Taste – Most of the choices in this guide are unflavored. For some, they may not taste good on their own. Still, they can be mixed with pretty much anything while having little impact on the taste.
How To Use Protein Powder
Always read and follow the label directions.
Protein powders can be mixed with virtually any beverage. They can also be mixed with yogurt or oatmeal.
You can bake with some of them but make sure you check the label first. You don’t want to bake with a product that does not specifically say it can be used for that purpose.
Use a protein powder 1-2 times per day to help meet your daily protein requirements, and try to ingest protein every few hours. On training days, have one serving within 30 minutes after working out.
It’s also smart to have a shake first thing in the morning every day. You’ve spent the last 7-10 hours sleeping, so when you wake up, your body needs to be replenished with macronutrients, especially protein.
Using a protein powder without any artificial sweeteners is a great choice toward a clean, healthy approach to your daily nutrition.
Our best overall protein powder without artificial sweeteners is NutraBio 100% Whey Protein Isolate Unflavored. It’s unflavored and contains 25g of whey isolate per serving. That’s all that’s in this product. It also features extreme full disclosure labeling.
If you want an unflavored option you can bake with, Opportuniteas Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder Isolate contains 29.7g of protein, and that’s it. You can make any recipe you want and add in this protein. If you don’t like protein shakes, here you go!
Finally, budget is a concern for many users. If that’s the case, Nutricost Whey Protein Concentrate is the way to go. It’s a 5lb container, it provides 25g of whey concentrate per serving, and that’s the only ingredient. Best of all, it has an amazing price point.
As you can see, when it comes to protein powder without artificial sweeteners, there are some great choices!
- Tarnopolsky, M. A., MacDougall, J. D., & Atkinson, S. A. (1988, January). Influence of protein intake and training status on nitrogen balance and lean body mass. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3356636