Rhodiola is a popular adaptogenic and mental enhancement herb. The most common species is rhodiola rosea, but there are others. Of these, rhodiola crenulata is used in some products.
As an adaptogen, rhodiola can help you deal with all types of stress. This includes physical stress caused by exercise. It also includes the stress of your day-to-day obligations. This could be work or school related.
Plus, rhodiola helps focus and clarity. That makes it popular in nootropic formulas.
This guide will review the best rhodiola supplement for all your needs. Let’s dig in!
In a Hurry? Here is our top pick:
Quick answer – Best rhodiola supplement
- NutraChamps Rhodiola Rosea – Best Overall
- Nutricost Rhodiola Rosea Powder – Best Powder
- Nutricost Rhodiola Rosea – Best Value-Conscious
- Simply Potent Siberian Rhodiola – Best Absorption
- Bronson Rhodiola Rosea – Best Potency
- Herb Pharm Rhodiola – Best Liquid
- Beast Sports Nutrition Neuro Beast – Best Rhodiola Blend
- Toniiq Rhodiola – Best Active Ingredient Concentration
- MuscleTech Neurocore Pre-Workout – Best For Bodybuilding Beginners
- Unbound Unload – Best Pre-Workout With Rhodiola
Reviews – The Best rhodiola supplements
NutraChamps Rhodiola Rosea – Best Overall
Here’s our pick for best overall. NutraChamps Rhodiola Rosea provides 600mg per two capsules. It’s standardized to 1% salidroside and 3% rosavin. These are the active ingredients responsible for its benefits. NutraChamps uses Rhodiola Rosea sourced from the Siberian mountains. This is the highest quality source available. Plus, this formula is non-GMO, vegan, and keto friendly.
Rhodiola has several benefits. This formula supports focus, combats stress, and improves stamina. Some products emphasize the adaptogenic properties. This product does also but promotes the cognitive benefits. NutraChamps follows cGMP Quality Manufacturing guidelines. Finally, this formula is lab-tested for quality.
- 600mg Rhodiola Per Serving
- Contains 1% Salidroside And 3% Rosavin
- Follows cGMP Quality Manufacturing Guidelines
- Some Users Feel The Capsules Should Be More Full
Nutricost Rhodiola Rosea Powder- Best Powder
Here’s our pick for the best powdered rhodiola supplement. Nutricost Rhodiola Rosea Powder supplies 250mg per scoop. There are no other ingredients. At this dosage, there are 400 servings per container. The rhodiola in this product comes from mountains in the Arctic. Like others in this guide, it contains 1% Salidroside and 3% Rosavin.
This is the standard ratio used by most manufacturers. Most Nutricost products are non-GMO, vegan, and free of gluten. It’s also 3rd party tested for potency, purity, and quality. This product, like all Nutricost products, manufacturing takes place in a GMP-compliant facility.
- 400 Servings Per Container
- Mix With Cold Water Or The Beverage Of Your Choice
- 3rd Party Tested
- Some Users Feel The Taste Is Too Strong
Nutricost Rhodiola Rosea – Best Value-Conscious
Here’s our value-conscious pick. Nutricost Rhodiola Rosea is a capsule version. It supplies 500mg per one capsule serving. Besides rhodiola, three vegetable ingredients make up the capsule. Like the Nutricost Powder above, this contains the same percentages of salidroside and rosavin.
It’s also 3rd party tested and GMP-compliant. It’s made in a facility that’s FDA registered. Finally, this is non-GMO and gluten-free.
- Value Minded Capsule Version
- Contains 1% Salidroside And 3% Rosavin
- GMP-Compliant, FDA Registered Manufacturing Facility
- Some Users Say The Capsules Are Too Large To Swallow
Simply Potent Siberian Rhodiola – Best Absorption
Simply Potent Siberian Rhodiola provides 1000mg per two capsule serving. This product uses the standard ratio of 3% rosavin and 1% salidroside. The only other ingredient is vegetable cellulose. This is what’s used to make the capsule. One of the things that sets this product apart is the addition of Bioperine®. It’s a patented black pepper extract that improves absorption.
Finally, this product advertises improved exercise performance. That’s because it helps ease stress. As stress is reduced, fatigue is also reduced. Plus, it improves focus and mood. These benefits mean you can perform better. That includes exercise or any other aspect of your life.
- Sourced From Siberia
- Includes Bioperine Black Pepper
- Improves Exercise Performance
- Some Users Have A Hard Time Swallowing The Capsules
Bronson Rhodiola Rosea – Best Potency
Here’s the highest potency rhodiola supplement in this guide. The serving size for Bronson Rhodiola Rosea is only one capsule. Yet it contains 1,000mg of pure rhodiola rosea root. Other products use two capsules to supply that much rhodiola. A downside is that there’s no breakdown of the active ingredients.
There’s also no source listed for the rhodiola. Still, Bronson is a doctor-recommended brand that’s been in business for decades. Bronson Rhodiola is all-natural, vegan, and made in a cGMP facility. It’s also lab-tested for quality.
- Highest Potency Available
- 1000mg Per Veggie Capsule
- Contains Zero Artificial Ingredients
- No Listing Of Active Ingredient Percentage
Herb Pharm Rhodiola – Best Liquid
Here’s our best liquid form of rhodiola. The serving size is only .7ml. This supplies 838mg of rhodiola rosea root extract. Herb Pharm Rhodiola does not contain alcohol. It consists of distilled water and vegetable glycerol.
As well, Herb Pharm Rhodiola is 100% organic. You can add this to water or any beverage. Also, it absorbs faster than capsules. Finally, Herb Pharm is the #1 liquid herbal extracts brand in the USA.
- Certified Organic Liquid Extract
- 838mg Rhodiola Root Extract Per .7ml Serving
- Made By The #1 Herbal Extract Brand In The US
- Some Users Do Not Like The Taste
Beast Sports Nutrition Neuro Beast – Best Rhodiola Blend
Here’s our best rhodiola blend. Beast Sports Nutrition Neuro Beast is a product designed for bodybuilders and athletes. This is a cognitive enhancement formula. Neuro Beast contains 11 ingredients, including 200mg of rhodiola. Plus, there’s 200mg of caffeine.
There’s also another popular adaptogen, ashwagandha. Neuro Beast uses a patented form called Sensoril®.
Besides the gym, it can help you focus better at school or work. It also increases alertness and eases fatigue. Besides its cognitive function, another benefit is improved reaction time.
One downside is that the dosing is at the low end of the effective range. That’s true for many ingredients. Advanced users will most likely double-scoop it.
Still, this is not suggested for anyone sensitive to high amounts of caffeine. Finally, this product has a transparent label and contains zero artificial ingredients.
- Cognitive Enhancement Blend Featuring Rhodiola
- Contains 11 Total Ingredients
- Fully Open Label – No Artificial Ingredients
- Some Users Feel This Product Is Under-Dosed
Toniiq Rhodiola – Best Active Ingredient Concentration
Here’s a rhodiola rosea formula that contains 5% salidroside per serving. Toniiq Rhodiola has the highest concentration of this active ingredient. The other active compound, rosavin, is clinically suggested to be less effective.
That’s why Toniiq Rhodiola features 5% of the more potent salidroside. This product provides 600mg of rhodiola per two veggie capsules. This formula is 3rd party tested for potency and quality.
Finally, each batch is quality tested. A certificate of analysis is available if requested. This breaks down the test results and lets you see how good this product is. 5 Stars.
- Contains A High 5% Salidroside Content
- 600mg Rhodiola Per Two Capsules
- Every Batch Individually Tested – Certificate Of Analysis Available
- Some Users Don’t Like The Aftertaste
MuscleTech Neurocore Pre-Workout – Best For Bodybuilding Beginners
Rhodiola has a history of use in pre-workouts for its cognitive benefits. MuscleTech Neurocore Pre-Workout is a pre-workout that features flexible dosing. One scoop, the serving suggested for beginners, features 50mg rhodiola rosea.
The serving size for users with a little more experience is two scoops. That puts rhodiola up to 100mg. That’s low in comparison to many stand-alone products. Still, it’s paired at that dose with 320mg caffeine. Most users won’t go much higher in caffeine than that. Rhodiola and caffeine are the main alertness and cognitive ingredients. There’s also yohimbe. This ingredient has mild stimulant properties.
All the ingredients range from the low end to a moderate dosing level. This is not a pre-workout for advanced bodybuilders. Still, it’s a good choice for newer users. Also, it’s good for beginners starting to move up to higher dosages. It features an open label. Plus, Neurocore has a good balance of energy, pump, and endurance ingredients.
- Flexible One And Two Scoop Dosing
- Balanced Formula
- Features An Open Label
- Rhodiola Could Have A Higher Dose
Unbound Unload – Best Pre-Workout With Rhodiola
Here’s a new company with a new pre-workout. Actually, Unbound is a NutraBio company. It’s designed to be more hardcore than the regular NutraBio products. Unload is a heavy stim and focus pre-workout that includes a patented version of Rhodiola.
In this case, it’s RhodioPrime(™), which is the lesser known crenulata species. This contains a very high 6% salidroside per serving. That’s with a RhodioPrime dose of 300mg.
Unload features quite a few branded ingredients and has 350mg of caffeine. Plus, there’s 139mg of slow release caffeine. The label is fully open, and it’s very well dosed.
- High Stim-Focus Pre-Workout From Unbound, NutraBio’s Hardcore Line
- Features 300mg Patented RhodioPrime Per Serving
- Contains 6% Salidrosides
- May Be Too High In Caffeine For Some Users
Buying Guide – How To Choose The Best Rhodiola Supplement?
What Is Rhodiola?
Rhodiola is an herb originating in Asia, Europe, and in the Arctic. The root of rhodiola is used as a dietary supplement. In general and as noted, rhodiola is an adaptogen and a cognitive enhancer. There are other benefits which we will look at below. (1, 2)
What Is Salidroside And Rosavin?
All herbs contain active ingredients. These are the compounds responsible for an herb’s effects. Rhodiola contains two: salidroside and rosavin. The usual ratio of these compounds is 1% to 3%.
There are two species of rhodiola, rosea, and crenulata. Of these two, rosea is more common but can have less salidroside.
Some research suggests that rosavin is less effective. One product, Toniiq Rhodiola, features a high 5% salidroside and no rosavin for this reason. This formula uses the rosea version.
Then there’s Unbound Unload pre-workout. This contains the patented RhodioPrime(™). In this case, rhodiola crenulata is the species that’s used. (1, 2)
Benefits Of Rhodiola
We’ve mentioned a few rhodiola benefits. Here’s a list of all the main benefits:
- Acts As An Adaptogen – Rhodiola is another herb that has adaptogenic properties. Other herbs used for this purpose are ashwagandha and ginseng. What is an adaptogen? It’s a compound that helps the body cope with physical and emotional stress. (3) Examples include exercising, work-related stress, or school-related stress. An adaptogen can help you cope with any type of stress.
- Improves Cognition – Rhodiola has been used in various cognitive enhancers over the years. It’s popular in pre-workouts. These include high-stim pre-workouts. It also includes high focus, low or no stim pre-workouts. You’ll find it in many nootropic formulas as well. One example of rhodiola in a sports nutrition product is Beast’s Neuro Beast. There’s also MuscleTech Neurocore and Unbound Unload.
- Eases Fatigue – One of the benefits of less stress and anxiety is less fatigue. This can help you tackle your day with more energy.
- Improves Performance – Referencing reduced fatigue, less stress means more energy as noted above. This can also mean better in-the-gym performance. Another advantage of an adaptogen is that by easing stress, it inhibits cortisol. This is a catabolic hormone that can short-circuit muscle growth. Also, improved focus means you can pay more attention to the task at hand.
- Reduces Inflammation – Studies show that rhodiola eases inflammation. It does this by blocking the Cox-2 pain enzyme. It’s indicated that the active ingredient salidroside is responsible for this benefit. (4)
What To Consider When Looking For A Rhodiola Supplement
Here’s what you should look for when choosing the best rhodiola supplement.
Quality And Purity
Several brands are 3rd party tested for purity, potency, and quality. Examples include both Nutricost Rhodiola products. Some products, like Toniiq Rhodiola, are batch tested for quality. In this case, users can request a certificate that breaks down the results of the test.
Look for label seals that say a product is 3rd party tested. Also look for seals that say a product is GMP-compliant. This means the manufacturer follows strict manufacturing guidelines.
Where Is It Sourced From?
This is another aspect of purity and quality. The label should state if a product is rhodiola root. It should list the percentages of both salidroside and rosavin. One notable exception is Toniiq Rhodiola. Another is Unbound Unload. These products do not contain rosavin. Finally, most products list their origin. For example, NutraChamps Rhodiola Rosea comes from the Siberian mountains. Another example is both Nutricost powder and capsules. This brand uses rhodiola that comes from the Arctic.
What Is The Delivery Format?
You have your choice of delivery formats. Rhodiola comes in capsules, powder, and liquid extract. Of the three, a liquid will absorb the fastest.
How To Use A Rhodiola Supplement
As usual, make sure you follow the label directions. If you’re using a powder or liquid, you can mix it with any beverage.
What Are You Using Rhodiola For?
You can use rhodiola for a number of reasons. As noted, it’s an adaptogen. Dealing with stress makes a big difference in your productivity. It eases your mind so you can concentrate. Also, it frees your mood. Therefore, take it before any stressful event. This might mean in the morning before work or school. Using it before an exercise session? Add it to your pre-workout.
Use the same way for cognitive enhancement. In fact, it’s in several sports nutrition products. One example is Beast Sports Nutrition Neuro Beast. The other examples are two pre-workouts: MuscleTech Neurocore and Unbound Unload.
Finally, the suggested dose range for rhodiola is 100mg to 1000mg.
NutraChamps Rhodiola Rosea features rhodiola sourced from Siberia. There’s 600mg per two caps. One serving provides the standard salidroside to rasovin ratio.
Do you struggle with swallowing capsules or tablets? Would you prefer a powder? Nutricost Rhodiola Rosea Powder supplies 250mg rhodiola per scoop. With 400 servings, you can personalize your dosage as desired.
We know rhodiola is an adaptogen. Yet you may be more interested in its nootropic properties. Beast Sports Nutrition Neuro Beast is the ideal choice. This is a complete, balanced nootropic formula. Neuro Beast can help you in the gym, at school, or at work.
You can see that rhodiola can make a great addition to your supplement program. If stress is a real problem, stack it with ashwagandha. You can choose to take it alone, in a complex, or in a stack. Use our guide to find the best rhodiola supplement for your needs!
- Rhodiola Extracts: Rosavin vs. Salidrosides » Piracetam.org (Australia & NZ) – Nootropics, Modafinil & more
- Li, Y., Pham, V., Bui, M., Song, L., Wu, C., Walia, A., Uchio, E., Smith-Liu, F., & Zi, X. (2017). Rhodiola rosea L.: an herb with anti-stress, anti-aging, and immunostimulating properties for cancer chemoprevention. Current pharmacology reports, 3(6), 384–395. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40495-017-0106-1
- 12 Adaptogens for Stress and Hormonal Balance — And How to Use Them (healthline.com)
- Pooja, Bawa AS, Khanum F. Anti-inflammatory activity of Rhodiola rosea–“a second-generation adaptogen” Phytother Res. 2009;23:1099–102. doi: 10.1002/ptr.2749.