Rhodiola rosea extract is a popular adaptogenic and mental enhancement herb. The most common species is Rhodiola rosea, but there are others. Of these, Rhodiola crenulata is used in some products.
As an adaptogen, Rhodiola rosea may help you deal with all types of stress. This includes the physical stress caused by exercise. It also includes the stress of your day-to-day obligations. This could be work or school-related.
Plus, Rhodiola rosea may also improve focus and clarity. That makes it popular in nootropic formulas.
This guide will review the best Rhodiola supplement for all your needs. Let’s dig in!
In a Hurry? Here is our top pick:
Quick Answer – The Best Rhodiola Supplements
- NutraChamps Rhodiola Rosea – Best Overall
- Microingredients Organic Rhodiola Rosea Powder – Best Powder
- NOW Foods Rhodiola Rosea – Best Value
- Simply Potent Siberian Rhodiola – Best Absorption
- Bronson Rhodiola Rosea – Best Potency
- Nature’s Way Rhodiola Energy – Best For Stamina
- Beast Sports Nutrition Neuro Beast – Best Rhodiola Blend
- Toniiq Rhodiola – Best Active Ingredient Concentration
- MuscleTech Neurocore Pre-Workout – Best For Bodybuilding Beginners
- Unbound Unload – Best Pre-Workout With Rhodiola
Reviews – The Best Rhodiola Supplements
1. NutraChamps Rhodiola Rosea – Best Overall
Here’s our pick for best overall. NutraChamps Rhodiola Rosea provides 600mg per two capsules. The active ingredients, rosavin, and salidroside are standardized to 3% and 1%. These are the active ingredients responsible for the benefits of Rhodiola rosea. These percentages are in naturally occurring proportions.
NutraChamps uses Rhodiola rosea sourced from the Siberian mountains. This is the highest quality source available. Plus, this formula is non-GMO, vegan, and keto-friendly.
Rhodiola rosea has several benefits. This formula supports focus, combats stress, and improves stamina.
Some products emphasize adaptogenic properties. This product does, but it also promotes improved cognitive function.
NutraChamps follows cGMP Quality Manufacturing guidelines. Finally, this formula is lab-tested for quality.
- 600mg Rhodiola Extract Per Serving
- Contains 1% Salidroside And 3% Rosavin
- Follows cGMP Quality Manufacturing Guidelines
- Some Users Feel The Capsules Should Be More Full
2. Microingredients Organic Rhodiola Rosea Powder- Best Powder
Here’s our pick for the best-powdered Rhodiola rosea supplement. Microingredients Organic Rhodiola Rosea Powder supplies 400mg per scoop. There are no other ingredients.
At this dosage, there are 125 servings per container. The organic Rhodiola rosea in this product comes from the Arctic seas of Asia and Europe. Like others in this guide, it contains rosavin and salidroside. While it does not break down the percentages, most likely it’s in the standard 3% and 1% ratios.
This Rhodiola brand is one of the cleanest supplements on the market. Microingredients products are non-GMO, vegan, and free of fillers.
This brand also uses Earth Friendly recyclable packaging.
- 125 Servings Per Container
- Mix With The Beverage Of Your Choice
- Uses Recycled Packaging
- Some Users Feel The Taste Is Too Strong
3. NOW Foods Rhodiola Rosea – Best Value
Here’s our value-conscious pick. NOW Foods Rhodiola Rosea capsules supply 500mg per one capsule serving. Besides Rhodiola rosea, the only ingredients are what’s required to make the capsules.
NOW Rhodiola contains the standard percentages of salidroside and rosavin. That’s 1% and 3%, respectively.
These Rhodiola rosea capsules are also 3rd party tested and GMP-compliant. This product is made in a facility that’s FDA-registered. Plus, NOW Foods Rhodiola Rosea is non-GMO and gluten-free.
Finally, this is a Climate-Pledge Friendly Rhodiola brand.
- Value Minded Capsule Version
- Contains 1% Salidroside And 3% Rosavin
- GMP-Compliant, FDA Registered Manufacturing Facility
- Some Users Say The Capsules Are Too Large
4. Simply Potent Siberian Rhodiola – Best Absorption
Simply Potent Siberian Rhodiola provides 1000mg per two capsule serving. This product uses the standard ratio of 3% rosavin and 1% salidroside.
The only other ingredient is vegetable cellulose. This is what’s used to make the capsules. One thing that sets this product apart is Bioperine®, a patented black pepper extract that improves absorption.
Finally, this product advertises improved exercise performance. That’s because it helps ease stress. As stress is reduced, fatigue is also reduced.
Plus, it supports cognitive function, elevated focus, and enhanced mood. These benefits mean you can perform better when you work out.
- Sourced From Siberia
- Includes Bioperine Black Pepper
- Improves Exercise Performance
- Some Users Have A Hard Time Swallowing The Capsules
5. Bronson Rhodiola Rosea – Best Potency
Here’s the highest potency Rhodiola rosea supplement in this guide. This is Rhodiola rosea root powder in capsule format.
The serving size for Bronson Rhodiola Rosea is only one capsule. Yet it contains 1,000mg of pure Rhodiola rosea root. Other products use two capsules to supply that much Rhodiola. A downside is that there’s no breakdown of the active ingredients.
There’s also no source listed for the Rhodiola. Still, Bronson is a doctor-recommended brand that’s been in business for decades.
Bronson Rhodiola is all-natural, vegan, and made in a cGMP facility. It’s also lab-tested for quality.
- Highest Potency Available
- 1000mg Per Veggie Capsule
- Contains Zero Artificial Ingredients
- No Listing Of Active Ingredient Percentage
6. Nature’s Way Rhodiola Energy – Best For Stamina
Nature’s Way Rhodiola Energy is designed to improve physical endurance and mental stamina. One serving equals two plant-derived capsules. Each serving provides 410mg Rhodiola root extract.
This product has the usual breakdown of rosavin and salidroside but breaks down the percentages to mg. So, for example, there’s 3% or 12.3 mg of rosavin. Then there’s 1% or 4.1 mg of salidroside.
Nature’s Way Rhodiola Energy is vegan, gluten-free, and contains zero artificial ingredients. This product also uses recycled plastic for the bottles.
- 410mg Rhodiola Per Serving
- Breaks Down Rosavin & Salidroside To MGs
- Vegan- Gluten-Free
- Does Not Specify The Type Of Rhodiola
7. Beast Sports Nutrition Neuro Beast – Best Rhodiola Blend
Here’s our best Rhodiola blend. Beast Sports Nutrition Neuro Beast is a product designed for bodybuilders and athletes. This is a cognitive-enhancement formula. Neuro Beast contains 11 ingredients, including 200mg of Rhodiola root extract. Plus, there’s 200mg of caffeine.
There’s also another popular adaptogen, ashwagandha. Neuro Beast uses a patented form called Sensoril®.
Besides supporting athletic performance, Neuro Beast will support healthy brain function. Plus, it can help you focus better at school or work. It increases alertness and eases mental fatigue. Besides its impact on mental performance, another benefit is improved reaction time.
One downside is that the dosing is at the low end of the effective range for Rhodiola supplements. That’s true for many of the ingredients in this formula. Advanced users will most likely double-dose it.
Still, this product is not suggested for anyone sensitive to high amounts of caffeine. Finally, this product has a transparent label and contains zero artificial ingredients.
- Cognitive Enhancement Blend Featuring Rhodiola Rosea Root Extract
- Contains 11 Total Ingredients
- Fully Open-Label – No Artificial Ingredients
- Some Users Feel This Product Is Under-Dosed
8. Toniiq Rhodiola – Best Active Ingredient Concentration
Here’s a Rhodiola rosea formula that contains 5% salidroside per serving. Toniiq Rhodiola has the highest concentration of this active ingredient.
The other active compound, rosavin, is clinically suggested to be less effective.
That’s why Toniiq Rhodiola features 5% of the more potent salidroside. This product provides 600mg of Rhodiola per two veggie capsules. This formula is 3rd party tested for potency and quality.
Finally, each batch of these Rhodiola capsules is quality tested. A certificate of analysis is available if requested. This breaks down the test results and lets you see how good this product is.
- Contains A High 5% Salidroside Content
- 600mg Rhodiola Per Two Capsules
- Every Batch Individually Tested – Certificate Of Analysis Available
- Some Users Don’t Like The Aftertaste
9. MuscleTech Neurocore Pre-Workout – Best For Bodybuilding Beginners
Rhodiola rosea has a history of use in pre-workouts for its cognitive function benefits. MuscleTech Neurocore Pre-Workout is a pre-workout that features flexible dosing. One scoop, the serving suggested for beginners, features 50mg of Rhodiola rosea root extract.
The serving size for users with a little more experience is two scoops. That puts Rhodiola up to 100mg. That’s low in comparison to most Rhodiola rosea supplements available.
Still, it’s paired at that dose with 320mg caffeine. Most users won’t go much higher in caffeine than that. Rhodiola root extract and caffeine are the main athletic performance, alertness, and cognitive ingredients. There’s also yohimbine. This ingredient has mild stimulant properties.
All the ingredients range from low to moderate dosing. This is not a pre-workout for advanced bodybuilders.
Still, it’s a good choice for beginners. Also, it’s good for beginners starting to move up to higher dosages. It features an open label. Plus, Neurocore has a good balance of energy, pump, and endurance ingredients.
- Flexible One And Two Scoop Dosing
- Balanced Formula
- Features An Open Label
- Rhodiola Could Be Dosed Higher
10. Unbound Unload – Best Pre-Workout With Rhodiola
Here’s a new company with a new pre-workout. Actually, Unbound is a NutraBio company. It’s more hardcore than regular NutraBio products.
Unload is a heavy stim and focus pre-workout that includes a patented version of Rhodiola.
In this case, it’s RhodioPrime™, which uses the lesser-known crenulata species. This contains 300mg with a high 6% salidroside per serving.
In Unload, Rhodiola is used to help the body adapt to stress and mental fatigue. It also promotes healthy brain function and helps boost energy, thereby improving athletic performance
Unload features quite a few branded ingredients and has 350mg of caffeine. Plus, there’s 139mg of slow-release caffeine. The label is fully open, and it’s very well dosed.
- High Stim-Focus Pre-Workout
- Features 300mg Patented RhodioPrime Per Serving
- Contains 6% Salidrosides
- May Be Too Much Caffeine For Some Users
Buying Guide – How To Choose The Best Rhodiola Supplements
What Is Rhodiola Rosea Extract?
Also known as golden root or arctic root, Rhodiola rosea is an herb originating in Asia, Europe, and the Arctic. The root of Rhodiola has a long history of use in traditional medicine. Currently, it is used as a dietary herbal supplement. As noted, Rhodiola rosea is an adaptogen and a cognitive enhancer. There are other benefits which we will look at below. (1, 2)
What Is Rosavin And Salidroside?
All herbs contain active ingredients. These are the compounds responsible for an herb’s effects. Rhodiola contains two: salidroside and rosavin. The usual ratio of these compounds is 1% to 3%.
There are two species of Rhodiola, rosea, and crenulata. Rhodiola rosea is far more common but can have less salidroside.
Some research suggests that rosavin is not that effective. One product, Toniiq Rhodiola, features a high 5% salidroside and no rosavin for this reason. This formula uses the rosea version.
Then there’s Unbound Unload pre-workout. This contains the patented RhodioPrime™. In this case, Rhodiola crenulata is the species used. (1, 2)
Benefits Of Rhodiola Rosea Supplements
We’ve mentioned a few Rhodiola benefits. We know it’s been used in traditional medicine for centuries to help the body cope with stress. Many of today’s most popular herbs, including Rhodiola, began as traditional medicine.
Currently, Rhodiola is a natural supplement specifically used to target precise functions in the body.
Here’s a list of all the main health benefits of taking Rhodiola rosea supplements:
- Rhodiola Acts As An Adaptogen – As noted, Rhodiola rosea has adaptogenic properties. Other herbs used for this purpose are ashwagandha and ginseng. What is an adaptogen? It’s a compound that helps the body adapt to physical and emotional stress symptoms. This, in turn, will support healthy stamina. (3) Examples include exercising, work-related stress, or school-related stress. By taking Rhodiola rosea, it can help you cope with any type of stress.
- Rhodiola Rosea Helps Improve Cognition – Rhodiola rosea has been used in various cognitive enhancers over the years. It’s popular in pre-workouts to help mental clarity as well as the other benefits we’ve discussed. You will find Rhodiola in high-stim pre-workouts. Also, it will be in high focus and stim-free pre-workouts. You’ll also find it in nootropic formulas. One example of Rhodiola in a sports nutrition product is Beast’s Neuro Beast. There’s also MuscleTech Neurocore and Unbound Unload.
- Rhodiola Eases Fatigue – One of the benefits of less stress and anxiety is less fatigue. This can help you tackle your day with more energy and mental stamina.
- Rhodiola Rosea May Improve Endurance & Exercise Performance – Referencing reduced fatigue, less stress means more energy as noted above. This can also mean better in-the-gym performance. A major advantage of an adaptogen is that by easing stress, it inhibits cortisol. This is a catabolic hormone that can short-circuit muscle growth. Also, improved focus means you can pay more attention to the task at hand.
- Rhodiola Eases Inflammation – Studies show that taking Rhodiola rosea supplements may ease inflammation. It does this by blocking the Cox-2 pain enzyme. The active ingredient salidroside is responsible for this benefit. (4)
- Rhodiola Can Reduce Symptoms Of Depression – Does Rhodiola ease moderate depression symptoms? In a word, yes. This is partly due to its adaptogenic benefits. After all, symptoms of depression often include stress and anxiety. In support of this, scientific evidence shows that Rhodiola is effective in reducing mild to moderate symptoms of depression. (5)
What To Consider When Looking For A Rhodiola Supplement
Here’s what you should look for when choosing Rhodiola rosea supplements.
Quality And Purity
Several brands are 3rd party tested for purity, potency, and quality.
Look for label seals that say a product is 3rd party tested. Also, look for seals indicating a product is GMP-compliant. This means the company follows strict manufacturing guidelines.
Some products, like Toniiq Rhodiola, are batch tested for quality. Users can request a certificate that breaks down test results.
Where Is It Sourced From?
This is another aspect of purity and quality. The label should state if a product is Rhodiola root. It should list the percentages of both salidroside and rosavin.
Notable exceptions are Toniiq Rhodiola and Unbound Unload. These products do not contain rosavin.
Finally, most products list their origin. For example, NutraChamps Rhodiola Rosea comes from the Siberian mountains.
What Is The Delivery Format?
When it comes to Rhodiola supplementation, you have your choice of delivery formats. Rhodiola, like other herbal dietary supplements, is available in various forms.
Pure Rhodiola rosea comes in capsules, powder, and liquid extract. Of the three, a liquid will absorb the fastest. Rhodiola capsules are easy to take and easy to take with you. Finally, Rhodiola powder can easily be mixed with anything.
How To Use A Rhodiola Supplement
If you’re taking Rhodiola by itself, make sure you follow the label directions. As noted, if you’re taking Rhodiola powder or liquid extract, you can mix it with any beverage or powdered supplement.
If you’re taking a Rhodiola product that uses capsules, make sure they are not too big. Finally, if you’re using Rhodiola as part of a pre-workout, take it as directed on the label.
What Are You Using Rhodiola For?
You can use Rhodiola extract for several reasons. Many users use it for stress.
Dealing with stress makes a big difference in your productivity. It eases your mind so you can concentrate. Also, it frees your mood. This in turn supports mental health.
Therefore, take it before any stressful event. This might mean in the morning before work or school.
Rhodiola rosea may enhance cognitive function. Therefore, use Rhodiola extract in the same way for cognitive enhancement. In fact, it’s in several sports nutrition products. One example is Beast Sports Nutrition Neuro Beast.
Finally, the suggested dose range for Rhodiola is 100mg to 1000mg.
NutraChamps Rhodiola Rosea features Rhodiola rosea extract sourced from Siberia. There’s 600mg per two caps. One serving provides the standard salidroside to rosavin ratio.
Do you struggle with swallowing capsules? Would you prefer an organic powder? Microingredients Organic Rhodiola Rosea Powder supplies 400mg Rhodiola extract per scoop. With 125 servings, you can personalize your dosage as desired.
You may be more interested in Rhodiola’s nootropic properties. Beast Sports Nutrition Neuro Beast is the ideal choice. This is a complete, balanced nootropic formula. Neuro Beast can help you in the gym, at school, or work.
You can see that Rhodiola extracts can make a great addition to your supplement program. If stress is a real problem, stack it with ashwagandha.
You can choose to take it alone, in a complex, or a stack. Use our guide to find the best Rhodiola supplement for your needs!
- Rhodiola Extracts: Rosavin vs. Salidrosides » Piracetam.org (Australia & NZ) – Nootropics, Modafinil & more
- Li, Y., Pham, V., Bui, M., Song, L., Wu, C., Walia, A., Uchio, E., Smith-Liu, F., & Zi, X. (2017). Rhodiola rosea L.: an herb with anti-stress, anti-aging, and immunostimulating properties for cancer chemoprevention. Current pharmacology reports, 3(6), 384–395. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40495-017-0106-1
- 12 Adaptogens for Stress and Hormonal Balance — And How to Use Them (healthline.com)
- Pooja, Bawa AS, Khanum F. Anti-inflammatory activity of Rhodiola rosea–“a second-generation adaptogen” Phytother Res. 2009;23:1099–102. doi: 10.1002/ptr.2749.
- Darbinyan, V., Aslanyan, G., Amroyan, E., Gabrielyan, E., Malmström, C., & Panossian, A. (2007). Clinical trial of Rhodiola rosea L. extract SHR-5 in the treatment of mild to moderate depression. Nordic journal of psychiatry, 61(5), 343–348. https://doi.org/10.1080/08039480701643290