A thermogenic fat burner increases the temperature of your body so you burn more calories. There are many choices available, so there’s no doubt one will fit your goals.
To help you make the right choice, I have put together a list of all the best thermogenic fat burners on the market.
Let’s take a look!
In a Hurry? Here is our top pick:
Best Thermogenic Fat Burner
- Jacked Factory Burn XT Black – Best Overall
- Primeval Labs Pyretic Black Thermogenic – Best For Bodybuilders
- The Genius Brand Genius Burn – Best Caffeine Free Thermogenic Fat Burner
- Transparent Labs Physique Series Fat Burner – Best For Beginners
- RSP QuadraLean Thermo – Best For Fat Loss & Workout Recovery
- Evlution Nutrition Trans4orm – Best Easily Available Thermogenic Fat Burner
- MuscleTech Hydroxycut Hardcore Next Gen – Best Thermogenic Fat Burner In The Hydroxycut Line
- MuscleTech Hydroxycut Max For Women – Best Women’s Thermogenic Fat Burner
- Universal Nutrition Animal Cuts – The Best All-In-One Thermogenic Fat Burner
- Rule 1 R1 Cut 10 – Best Thermogenic Fat Burner Drink Mix
Reviews – Best Thermogenic Fat Burners
1. Jacked Factory Burn XT Black – Best Overall
Jacked Factory Burn XT Black has taken its popular Burn XT formula and turbocharged it with the addition of more stimulants. These include a slow-release form of caffeine and ingredients that help smooth out the harsh effects that comes with a strong dose of caffeine.
The total amount of caffeine in Burn XT Black is 305mg, and that includes the slower release dicaffeine malate. The other stims offer clean energy and improved focus.
One of the great things about this product is the extensive use of trademarked ingredients.
In fact, 5 of the 9 ingredients in this formula are trademarked.
That means Jacked Factory is using high quality, tested ingredients, and that makes Burn XT Black the best overall thermogenic fat burner.
- Fully Open Label With Several Trademarked Ingredients
- Clean Energy – Features Slower Release Caffeine
- Effectively Dosed
- Tested For Purity & Quality
- May Be Too Much Caffeine For Some Users
2. Primeval Labs Pyretic Black Thermogenic – Best For Bodybuilders
Primeval Labs Pyretic Black Thermogenic sets a standard that every other product on this list will have to try and beat. That standard is the use of a fully open-label and balanced formula designed to target fat loss, increase energy, control appetite, and enhance focus.
Pyretic Black Thermogenic supports long-lasting energy with a slow-release caffeine complex. This means no crash and no jitters. It effectively stimulates thermogenesis and speeds your metabolism. There’s also a fatigue-reducing complex, focus & mood enhancers and ingredients that help control hunger.
The downside is that the total caffeine content is 260mg per serving, which makes Pyretic Black one of the stronger thermogenic fat burners on this list. That’s a dose common for many bodybuilders but not for the average user.
The energy and mood compounds support workout performance, while the addition of rhodiola helps control cortisol and preserve muscle mass. That makes Primeval Labs Pyretic Black the best thermogenic fat burner for bodybuilders.
- Full Disclosure Labeling
- Slower Release Caffeine
- Well Balanced Formula
- There May Be Too Much Caffeine For Some Users
3. The Genius Brand Genius Burn – Best Caffeine Free Thermogenic Fat Burner
The Genius Brand Genius Burn is a non-stim thermogenic with an emphasis on focus elevation. This is a brand that has redefined cognitive-based formulas and Genius Burn is no exception.
Their thermogenic complex uses a unique combination of capsicum, leangbb, and paradoxine to stimulate thermogenesis as well as citicoline and theacrine to support clarity and cognitive function. This is important because it’s easy to lose your mental drive and clarity while being on a calorie-restricted diet.
There are also ingredients for appetite control and natural, caffeine-free energy. The Genius Brand is a company that’s leading the way when it comes to cognitive-based products that don’t always rely on excessive use of caffeine and other stimulants. That kind of insight makes The Genius Brand Genius Burn the best caffeine-free thermogenic fat burner available.
- Complete Focus & Stimulant Free Thermogenic Formula
- Mood Elevation
- Supports Appetite Suppression
- A Little Pricey
4. Transparent Labs Physique Series Fat Burner – Best For Beginners
Transparent Labs is well known for fully disclosed labeling. Their Physique Series Fat Burner is no exception.
This is a straightforward thermogenic fat burner that’s effectively dosed. The caffeine content in this formula is dosed at just 120mg, but this product contains other stimulants that support the effects of the caffeine.
Physique Series Fat Burner is an updated version of the original ECA stack from the ’90s. Back in those days, you had ephedra, caffeine, and a natural form of aspirin stacked in one product. To say the ECA stacks worked well would be an understatement.
Transparent Labs Physique Series Fat Burner plays off that idea with the addition of synephrine and white willow. From there, they update it to meet today’s thermogenic fat burner standards.
The standard serving is 2 capsules, anyone new to a thermogenic fat burner could easily take 1 capsule until they determine their tolerance to this type of product. That makes Transparent Labs Physique Series Fat Burner the best beginner thermogenic.
- 2-Capsule Serving Means Adjustable Dosing – Great For Beginners
- Only 9 Total Ingredients
- Fully Disclosed Label
- May Not Be Strong Enough For All Users
5. RSP QuadraLean Thermo – Best For Fat Loss & Workout Recovery
RSP QuadraLean Thermo is designed to provide clean, crash-free energy, increase thermogenesis, support focus, and help control hunger. It features a fully disclosed label and effective dosing.
QuadraLean Thermo targets the main areas of effective fat burning as well as supporting muscle mass and recovery with good doses of cla and l-carnitine l-tartrate. By including focus enhancing ingredients, it allows you to stay zoned to your goals and the clean energy gives you the boost you need to keep moving forward.
RSP QuadraLean Thermo contains 200mg of natural caffeine, which may be a bit high for some users. Still, it’s a clean, effective formula that doesn’t overload the stimulants. That makes RSP QuadraLean Thermo the best thermogenic fat burner for active individuals.
- Balanced Formula
- Targets All Fat Loss Pathways
- Clean Crash-Free Energy
- Supports Muscle Mass & Recovery
- Only 20 Servings At The Suggested Dose
6. Evlution Nutrition Trans4orm – Best Easily Available Thermogenic Fat Burner
Evlution Nutrition Trans4orm is a complete thermogenic fat burner that, like most of the products on this list, targets fat from multiple angles. It features a fully disclosed label and a well-rounded formula that stimulates thermogenesis, improves focus, helps control hunger, and increases energy.
Trans4orm contains 175mg of natural caffeine for crash-free, jitter-free energy. Of course, caffeine is also a potent thermogenic and it’s combined here with green tea as well as yohimbe.
Not every product emphasizes the importance of the B-complex vitamins when it comes to natural energy, Trans4orm does. The B-vitamins help control stress and are involved in the natural energy processes of the body. Good call-out by Evlution!
Trans4orm also uses mostly plant-based ingredients. Finally, the fact you can find it at various discount retail chains as well as anywhere online makes Evlution Nutrition Trans4orm the best easily available thermogenic fat burner.
- Balanced Formula
- You Can Find It Virtually Anywhere
- Clean Formula With Mostly Plant-Based Ingredients
- Uses Artificial Colors
7. MuscleTech Hydroxycut Hardcore Next Gen – Best Thermogenic Fat Burner In The Hydroxycut Line
MuscleTech Hydroxycut was one of the original thermogenic fat burners when it was first released back in the ’90s. Since then, it has undergone quite a few changes.
Fast forward to today, and there’s a seemingly never-ending line of Hydroxycut formulas, all with something unique to offer.
MuscleTech Hydroxycut Hardcore Next Gen is not all that different than previous versions. It offers full disclosure labeling and has one of the higher caffeine dosages at 290mg. Like previous versions it was designed to stimulate thermogenesis and increase energy. A MuscleTech trend is to feature 1 or 2 clinically tested (usually sponsored by MuscleTech) ingredients that no one else has.
Hydroxycut Hardcore Next Gen is no exception and features C. canephora robusta as its stand-out ingredient. That’s all well and good but the bottom line is, hype withstanding, MuscleTech Hydroxycut Hardcore Next Gen works.
It doesn’t need the hype and despite that, MuscleTech Hydroxycut Hardcore Next Gen is the best thermogenic fat burner in the popular Hydroxycut line.
- Features Unique, Tested Ingredients
- One Of A Popular Line Of Thermogenic Fat Loss Products
- Fully Disclosed Label
- May Be Too Much Caffeine For Some Users
8. MuscleTech Hydroxycut Max For Women – Best Women’s Thermogenic Fat Burner
As mentioned in the Hydroxycut Hardcore Next Gen review, MuscleTech has a seemingly endless line of Hydroxycut’s.
Here we have one more: Hydroxycut Max For Women. This version has higher potencies of hair, skin, and nail nutrients. It also stimulates thermogenesis and increases energy with 225mg of caffeine.
This version, like Hydroxycut Hardcore Next Gen, features the unique ingredient c.canephora robusta. This compound is clinically tested (sponsored by MuscleTech) to support thermogenesis and fat loss.
The downside is that MuscleTech lives in the past with a prop blend. This means you have no idea how much you’re getting of any of the ingredients. The label does show the amount of caffeine (225mg).
Still, the combination of fat loss ingredients and beauty ingredients makes MuscleTech Hydroxycut Max For Women the best thermogenic fat burner a woman can use..
- Features Ingredients For Healthy Hair, Skin & Nails
- Stimulates Thermogenesis & Increases Energy
- Contains Ingredients Exclusive To MuscleTech
- Uses A Prop Blend – There’s No Way To Know What You’re Getting
9. Universal Nutrition Animal Cuts – The Best All-In-One Thermogenic Fat Burner
Universal Nutrition Animal Cuts is advertised as an “all-in-one” thermogenic fat burner. It features an 8-complex formula that targets multiple pathways for effective fat loss.
This is an “all-in-one” thermogenic fat burning formula that includes a stimulant complex for energy and thermogenesis and a thyroid support complex. This is important because of the major role the thyroid has on metabolism.
There’s also a cortisol blocking complex, a diuretic complex, a nootropic complex, and a CCK-boosting complex. CCK or Cholecystokinin is a peptide hormone that’s involved in the digestion of fat and protein.
Animal Cuts is rounded out by a complex that improves the absorption of the rest of the formula. The major downside is that each complex is a prop blend, so you don’t know how much of each ingredient you’re getting.
Still, Universal Nutrition Animal Cuts is a complete formula that can offer a total approach to fat loss. That makes Animal Cuts the best all-in-one thermogenic fat burner.
- Complete Formula That Covers All Aspects Of Effective Fat Loss
- 40 Active Ingredients
- Convenient One Packet Per Serving Formula
- All 9 Complexes Are Prop Blends
- No Listing Of The Total Caffeine Content
- May Be Too Many Pills For Some Users
10. Rule 1 R1 Cut 10- Best Thermogenic Fat Burner Drink Mix
Rule 1 is primarily known for their protein powders but has branched out to make other supplements. They’re doing a good job, their R1 Cut 10 is one of the best thermogenic fat burners on the market.
This one’s a powdered formula, one of the few powder thermogenics and the only one on this list. R1 Cut 10 features a fully disclosed label with 10 total ingredients.
One of the stand-out ingredients in this formula is carnitine tartrate, which not only helps transport fat to be burned as energy, but also supports muscle mass.
The thermogenic/energy ingredients begin with 130mg of caffeine. There’s also focus enhancers.
The open-label, well-dosed ingredients, and solid formula make Rule1 R1 Cut 10 the best thermogenic fat burner drink mix.
- Features 1g Of L-Carnitine L-Tartrate
- Fully Open Label
- Convenient Powder Formula
- Contains Artificial Ingredients
Buying Guide – How To Choose The Best Thermogenic Fat Burner?
What Is A Thermogenic Fat Burner?
The first thing you need to understand about fat loss is the function of a calorie. To keep it simple, a calorie is a unit of energy. (1) This is the energy your body uses to function. Take in more calories than your body requires and you gain excess body fat.
There are two main steps to losing body fat: reduce calories and be more active. Thermogenesis is the use of calories to produce heat in the body. (2) A thermogenic fat burner contains ingredients that stimulate thermogenesis and help speed the metabolism.
How Do Thermogenic Fat Burners Work?
A thermogenic works by stimulating heat production in the body which requires the use of calories, typically from stored fat.
How To Choose A Thermogenic Fat Burner
The primary consideration is whether or not you want stimulants. A stim-based thermogenic is more effective than a non-stim one, but the choice is up to you. Individuals who are caffeine sensitive should try a stim-free thermogenic.
If you’re Ok with caffeine and other stimulants, your choice is based on the amount of caffeine and other stimulants you want in your thermogenic fat burner.
Ingredients You Should Look For
Caffeine – This is the most commonly used stimulant in the world. You’ll find it in quite a few thermogenic fat burners. Caffeine stimulates thermogenesis and increases energy. (3, 4) Many of these products utilize different forms. Here’s a brief rundown of the types of caffeine you’ll usually see:
- Caffeine Anhydrous – This type of caffeine has all the moisture removed. In theory, this makes the caffeine more concentrated.
- Infinergy Dicaffeine Malate – This is a trademarked ingredient. Caffeine is complexed with malic acid. This allows the caffeine to be absorbed slowly, reducing the chance of jitters and a crash. This ingredient is 75% caffeine and 25% malic acid.
- Guarana – This plant is common in Brazil and is a natural source of caffeine.
- Yerba Mate – This is an herb that is a natural source of caffeine. The tea version of this ingredient is a popular caffeinated drink in various parts of the world.
- Kola Nut – This is from the evergreen tree and is another natural source of caffeine.
- Green Tea – This ingredient contains caffeine as well as the potent antioxidant EGCG.
Capsimax Cayenne Pepper – This ingredient is a trademarked version of cayenne peppers. Cayenne contains capsicum, the active ingredient that gives them their heat. It also stimulates thermogenesis and helps decrease appetite. Capsimax helps prevent the burning sensation that regular cayenne peppers can cause in the digestive tract. (5)
Carnitine – L-Carnitine is synthesized from lysine and methionine, which are two essential amino acids. It helps transport fatty acids to the cells to be used as energy by the body. There are different forms of carnitine with each form having slightly different benefits. All forms help transport stored fat to be used as energy by the body. L-Carnitine-L-Tartrate also supports recovery. (6) Acetyl-L-Carnitine, or alcar, supports cognitive function. (7)
Synephrine – This ingredient is also known as bitter orange. Synephrine was the original replacement for ephedra when it was first banned back in the 90s. It’s thought to have similar but milder benefits that include thermogenesis, energy, focus, and hunger control. (8)
Grains of Paradise Seed Extract – This ingredient is becoming more common in many thermogenic fat burners. Grains of Paradise has some research suggesting that it can activate the effects of B.A.T., or brown adipose tissue. B.A.T. helps maintain body temperature when exposed to cold by activating thermogenesis. B.A.T. also burns more calories than regular fat. (9)
Yohimbine – Yohimbe is a small tree that originates in South Africa. The active ingredient is called yohimbine and received a lot of attention due to its role in burning “stubborn” fat. The last few pounds of fat in areas such as the stomach and lower back are considered “stubborn” because it takes a lot of effort to lose the fat in these areas. It’s usually the last to go when you’re getting lean. Yohimbine is also a stimulant that activates thermogenesis. (10)
The Best Way To Use Thermogenic Fat Burners
Of course, whenever you use a high-stim product, you should always determine your tolerance to the product by starting with a half dose. Once you have determined your tolerance, you can use a full dose.
Otherwise, always take a thermogenic fat burner exactly as it is recommended on the label. Don’t make a choice to double the dose. This is not a case where more is better. Never under any circumstances should you take more than what the label says is safe to take.
Should I Cycle My Thermogenic Fat Burner?
The more often you use a thermogenic fat burner the more your body builds up a tolerance. Therefore it’s a good idea to cycle them. One of the most popular ways to take a thermogenic fat burner is to use it for 8 weeks then take 4 weeks off. This approach makes sense, you can give your body a break from the stimulants. During your off-period, you can still get thermogenic benefits by using a stimulant-free thermogenic, such as The Genius Brand Genius Burn.
Thermogenic fat burners can make a big difference in your results and this guide gives you the best thermogenic fat burners available.
The products listed here are for the most part fully disclosed and effectively dosed. They’re all good but Jacked Factory Burn XT Black is the best overall thermogenic fat burner.
Burn XT Black features clean, smooth energy from a complex of slow and fast release caffeine. This excellent formula also uses several trademarked ingredients for a high level of quality.
Finally, for females there’s MuscleTech Hydroxycut Max For Women. This product is a good thermogenic fat burner that also promotes healthy hair, skin, and nails.
As you can see, there’s a choice for everybody!
- Astrup, A, et al; “Caffeine: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study of its thermogenic, metabolic, and cardiovascular effects in healthy volunteers”; Am J Clin Nutr; 51(5):759-67; 1990; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2333832
- Koot P, Deurenberg P. Comparison of changes in energy expenditure and body temperatures after caffeine consumption. Ann Nutr Metab 1995; 39(3):135-142.
- Kraemer WJ; Volek JS; French DN; Rubin MR; Sharman MJ; Gómez AL; Ratamess NA; Newton RU; Jemiolo B; Craig BW; Häkkinen K; (n.d.). The Effects of L-carnitine L-tartrate Supplementation on Hormonal Responses to Resistance Exercise and Recovery. Retrieved from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12930169/
- Stohs, S. J. (2017, October). Safety, Efficacy, and Mechanistic Studies Regarding Citrus aurantium (Bitter Orange) Extract and p-Synephrine. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28752649
- Sugita, J., Yoneshiro, T., et al; “Grains of paradise (Aframomum melegueta) extract activates brown adipose tissue and increases whole-body energy expenditure in men”; British Journal of Nutrition; (2013) 110(4), pp. 733–738;https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/british-journal-of-nutrition/article/grains-of-paradise-aframomum-melegueta-extract-activates-brown-adipose-tissue-and-increases-whole-body-energy-expenditure-in-men/517F8F0D73864C919E42D502537BA01D/core-reader
- Ostojic, S. M. (2006). Yohimbine: the effects on body composition and exercise performance in soccer players. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17214405