Being vegan means not eating any animal products whatsoever. This may result in several nutritional deficiencies. Add to that the busy lifestyle many people follow, and missing nutrients become more of a problem.
If you’re interested in good health, you need a good multivitamin. This is especially true for vegan bodybuilders and athletes.
In this guide, we will look at the best vegan multivitamin. Let’s get started!
In a Hurry? Here is our top pick:
Best vegan multivitamin
- Supplements Studio Daily Vegan Multivitamin Plus – Best Overall
- Garden of Life mykind Organics Women’s Multi – Best For Women
- Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Men’s Multi – Best For Men
- Vitanica Vegan Symmetry – Best Doctor-Formulated
- Kaged Muscle Naturals Multivitamin – Best For Bodybuilders
- Sport Formula99 Vegan Multivitamin – Best Powder
- Tropical Oasis Vegan Morning Multivitamin – Best Liquid
- Healthycell Vegan Essentials Multivitamin – Best Gel Squeeze Pack
- NaturesPlus Source of Life Garden Multivitamin – Best Chewable
- Vedge Essential – Best Specialty
Reviews – The Best vegan multivitamins
Supplements Studio Daily Vegan Multivitamin Plus – Best Overall
Here’s our pick for best overall. Supplements Studio Daily Vegan Multivitamin Plus consist of organic fruits and vegetables. It supplies 25 vitamins and minerals. These meet or exceed the DV on all but one nutrient. This formula also contains 8 nutrient blends.
Included are a Whole Foods Blend, Heart Blend, Enzyme Blend, and Probiotic Blend. Also, a Mushroom Blend, Citrus Blend, and Herb Blend. All of these nutrients cover all your health needs. The capsules are small for easy swallowing. Finally, this formula is non-GMO, gluten-free, and made in an FDA-registered facility.
- A Balanced, Complete Vegan Multivitamin
- There’s 25 Vitamins And Minerals
- Features 8 Total Nutrient Blends
- Contains Some Prop Blends
Garden of Life mykind Organics Women’s Multi – Best For Women
This is a vegan multivitamin co-created by Garden of Life and actress Alicia Silverstone. Mykind Organics Women’s Multi is the result of a goal on Silverstone’s part. She wanted to create a multi that met her personal goals and needs.
This is a USDA Certified-Organic and vegan. It’s a whole-food multi that’s non-GMO modified. Mykind Organics Women’s Multi has 20 vitamins and minerals. Most of them meet or exceed the DV.
There’s also an Organic Food Blend that contains 33 organic whole food extracts. If this product has a downside, it’s that the Food Blend is a prop blend. You only have a total strength of 920mg. There’s no individual dosing breakdown. Still, this is a quality multivitamin. Finally, this multivitamin features a Clean Tablet technology using only organic ingredients.
- Certified Organic Whole Food Multi
- Contains 20 Vitamins & Minerals
- Includes An Organic Food Blend
- Some Users Find The Tablets Are Too Big
Performance Lab® NutriGenesis® Men’s Multi – Best For Men
Designed specifically for men, this vegan multi has 17 vitamins and minerals. All 17 meet or exceed 100% of the DV for these nutrients. Performance Lab NutriGenesis Men’s Multi uses whole food co-factors to enhance nutrient absorption.
It also features NutriCaps® technology. These capsules consist of natural prebiotic tapioca powder. This is a clean formula that’s nature-identical. That means the nutrients are exactly as they occur naturally. You’ll get all the cofactors and nutrients that the natural source contains.
- There Are 17 Nutrients – They All Meet Or Exceed The DV
- Also There’s Whole Food Co-Factors That Aid Absorption
- The Capsules Consist Of Tapioca Powder
- Not Value Conscious
Vitanica Vegan Symmetry – Best Doctor-Formulated
Here’s a doctor-formulated vegan multivitamin. Vitanica Vegan Symmetry is a premium multivitamin designed for the nutritional needs of vegans. There’s 25 total nutrients including hemp protein. Hemp seeds provide a small amount of essential fatty acids.
Also, the vitamin C is buffered, and there’s methylated folic acid. Vegan Symmetry is non-GMO and made using organic herbs.
- Contains Buffered Vitamin C
- This Multivitamin Has 25 Total Nutrients
- Some Users Complain Of Acid Reflux After Taking
Kaged Muscle Naturals Multivitamin – Best For Bodybuilders
Are you a vegan bodybuilder? Kaged Muscle Naturals Multivitamin is the ideal vegan multi for you. Made from organic fruits and vegetables, there are 25 total nutrients. Of these, 21 contain 100% or more of the DV.
There’s also ACTIValoe®, a unique aloe prebiotic. The capsules are small and consist of vegetable cellulose. Finally, Kaged Muscle Naturals Multivitamin is 3rd party tested for quality and purity.
- Designed For Vegan Bodybuilders
- 21 Meet Or Exceed 100% DV
- Contains Aloe Prebiotic
- Some Users Feel The Capsules Are A Little Hard To Swallow
Sport Formula99 Vegan Multivitamin – Best Powder
Swallowing pills is not easy for some users. Sport Formula Vegan Multivitamin is our pick for the best powdered vegan multivitamin. This product comes in single-serving packets or a scoopable container. There are 24 vitamins and minerals.
Also, it has a Greens Blend and an Amino Blend. This blend has BCAAs. Finally, there’s a Digestive Enzyme Blend for improved absorption. It’s a flavored powder. You can add it to water or mix it in your favorite beverage. Also, you can take it sublingually.
- Powder Multivitamins – Drink It Or Use It Under The Tongue (Sublingually)
- There’s 24 Vitamins And Minerals Plus Amino Acids
- Contains 9 Digestive Enzymes
- Contains Prop Blends
Tropical Oasis Vegan Morning Multivitamin – Best Liquid
Here’s a liquid vegan multivitamin containing 120 nutrients, including colloidal minerals. Tropical Oasis Vegan Morning Multivitamin is for morning use and busy lifestyles. There’s zero sugar, and you can take it by itself.
Also, you can mix it with juice or a smoothie. A liquid multivitamin absorbs much faster than capsules or tablets. Finally, Tropical Oasis is gluten-free, non-GMO, and contains zero artificial ingredients.
- Contains 120 Total Nutrients
- You Can Drink It By Itself Or Mixed In Juice
- Superior Absorption Over Tablets And Capsules
- Some Users Do Not Like The Taste
Healthycell Vegan Essentials Multivitamin – Best Gel Squeeze Pack
Vegan multivitamins can come in a wide variety of delivery formats. Healthycell Vegan Essentials Multivitamin comes in liquid gel form. It comes in individual squeeze packs for convenient use. Simply tear and squeeze.
Use it in a smoothie, or mix it in your favorite beverage. Plus they work great when you’re rushing out the door. Or, you can take your squeeze pack with you.
One gel pack contains 20 vitamins and minerals. It’s also one of the few multivitamins that contain Omega Fatty Acids. This is an essential nutrient lacking in typical vegan diets. Finally, there are no artificial flavors, sweeteners, or colors.
- One Squeeze Pack Contains 20 Vitamins And Minerals
- Includes Omega 3-6-9 Fatty Acids
- Zero Artificial Ingredients
- Contains Minimal Doses Of Creatine, Betaine, And Amino Acids
NaturesPlus Source of Life Garden Multivitamin – Best Chewable
Here’s another option for users that don’t like swallowing tablets or capsules. NaturesPlus Source of Life Garden Organic Multivitamin is a chewable tablet. Adults or children can use this vegan multivitamin. There are 19 vitamins and minerals.
Also, there’s an organic Whole Food Blend, an Enzyme Blend, and a Probiotic Blend. If this product has a downside, it does contain 2g sugar per chewie. Still, there’s nothing artificial in this vegan multivitamin.
- Chewable Tablets Can Be Used By Children And Adults
- Contains 19 Vitamins And Minerals
- Plus, There Are 3 Nutrient Blends
- Contains Sugar
Vedge Essential – Best Specialty
This multivitamin is not like the others in this guide. It’s not a complete multivitamin. Instead, Vedge Essential contains the main nutrients missing from the average vegan diet. These include Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, and Omega Fatty Acids.
There’s also Vitamin K2. These nutrients are clinically dosed. The capsules are vegetable cellulose and easy to swallow. Finally, this product is vegan, non-GMO, and allergen-free.
- Contains Nutrients Vegan Usually Lack
- Easy To Swallow Capsules
- Contains No Artificial Ingredients
- A Few Users Experienced Gastric Discomfort
Buying Guide – How To Choose The Best vegan multivitamin?
What Is A Multivitamin?
Multivitamins are a common supplement. They’re used by anyone that feels they are lacking nutrients. A multivitamin provides a full spectrum of vitamins and minerals. Some will have extra nutrients that support good health. These products will vary from brand to brand. This includes dosing as well as the total number of vitamins and minerals. Also, this includes whatever nutrients are added to the basic formula.
What Is A Vegan Multivitamin?
A vegan multivitamin is a product that contains zero animal products or byproducts. A product can contain artificial ingredients and be vegan. Still, every vegan multivitamin in this guide is natural. Not one product contains artificial ingredients.
Synthetic Vs Natural Vitamins
Protein, carbohydrates, and fats are macronutrients. Vitamins and minerals are micronutrients. There are 13 known vitamins and at least 16 minerals. All of these compounds support good health. A multivitamin formula contains at least that many vitamins and minerals. Also, you can find other nutritional ingredients. These will include herbs, amino acids, and digestive enzymes, to name a few.
The vitamins in vegan multivitamins are often organic and taken from whole food sources. These include plants, fruits, and vegetables. The sources in a concentrated form. They are also dehydrated whole foods.
Vitamins are also manufactured in a lab. Makers of these products claim they are the same chemically as natural sourced products. Yet, they will not absorb as well as natural, whole food vitamins. One reason for this is that whole food vitamins include cofactors and other nutrients. These compounds help absorption. Synthetic vitamins do not have these additional compounds. (1,2) Our best overall, Supplements Studio Daily Vegan Multivitamin Plus, is a good example. Besides 25 vitamins and minerals, it has 8 nutrient blends.
What Nutrients Are Vegans Deficient In?
Vegans are generally deficient in several nutrients that come mostly from animal sources. These include vitamins B12 and D. They also include the minerals calcium, iron, and zinc. Finally, they include the Omega 3 fatty acids. All of these are important for optimal health. You can find most of these in every multivitamin in this guide. Still, the Omega 3 fatty acids are harder to come by. You can find them in Healthycell Vegan Essentials Multivitamin, which is a liquid gel. You can also find them in Vedge Essential. This product also includes Vitamins B12, D, and K2.
The Nutrients Vegans Need
As noted, vegans usually lack several important nutrients. These are:
- Vitamin B12 – This is part of the B-complex vitamin family. B12 is crucial for energy and stress reduction. B12 is often taken by itself as an energy aid. (3)
- Vitamin D – Along with calcium, D is important for bone health. It helps calcium absorb. Supplemental D is also important if you avoid the sun. (4)
- Calcium – This mineral is important for strong, healthy bones. (5)
- Iron – This mineral transports oxygen throughout the body. Too little and you will lack energy. In recent years, authorities warn of taking too much iron. That’s why the suggested daily intake is no more than 18mg.
- Zinc – This is an important mineral that has a role in several functions. These include protein metabolism and testosterone support.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids – These are EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). You’ll find them most often in fish oil. There are some vegan sources, such as flaxseed. These are important for cognitive health, joint health, and heart health.
The Benefits Of Multivitamins
Many people think of multivitamins as a form of “health insurance”. They take them because they may lead busy lifestyles. This can hinder their ability to eat regular healthy meals. A multivitamin can benefit everybody. They especially make sense for bodybuilders and athletes. Are you trying to build muscle or achieve peak performance? Then a foundation of good health is essential. You won’t achieve that without adequate vitamins and minerals.
Here’s a look at the benefits of taking a vegan multivitamin.
- Promotes good health
- Contain antioxidants to combat free radicals and prevent cellular damage
- Helps prevent illness by supporting your immune system
- Offsets a lack of nutrients caused by a poor diet. This includes nutrients missed due to active lifestyles or poor eating habits
- May help ease specific health problems
- Multivitamins play a role in many body functions. For example, they support eye health, heart health, and cognitive function. Also, they support healthy hair and healthy skin.
The bottom line is that if you have any concerns about lacking vitamins or minerals, a multivitamin makes sense.
What Delivery Forms Do Multivitamins Come In?
Multivitamins come in many delivery forms. These include capsules, tablets, liquids, powders, gel packs, and chewable tablets. A more recent trend is gummies.
Do Multivitamins Have Any Side Effects?
There’s only one real problem associated with taking a multivitamin. You may take too much of one or more nutrients. Still, the vegan multivitamins in this guide are not mega-dosed. Besides, users usually add a multi because they feel they are lacking nutrients. Therefore, taking any of the multi’s listed shouldn’t cause any problems.
Other considerations include:
- Pregnant women should watch their vitamin A intake. Too much may lead to birth defects.
- Adult men and postmenopausal women should limit iron to 18mg. Too much may cause gastric discomfort.
- Some products may cause gastric discomfort. Always take your multivitamin with food.
Supplements Studio Daily Vegan Multivitamin Plus contains 25 vitamins and minerals. They are sourced from organic fruits and vegetables. There are also 8 nutrient blends for complete nutrition.
Are you a bodybuilder? Kaged Muscle Naturals Multivitamin provides 25 total vitamins and minerals. Also, there’s a probiotic from aloe vera. All Kaged Muscle products are 3rd party tested for quality.
Finally, would you prefer avoiding large, hard to swallow pills? Healthycell Vegan Essentials Multivitamin comes in a liquid gel squeeze pack. These packs are easy and convenient. You can take these packs on the go. Or, you can add them to your favorite beverage.
The best vegan multivitamin is the one that fits your preferences the most. Don’t leave your health and wellbeing to chance. Cover your nutritional needs with a good multi!
- Yetley E. A. (2007). Multivitamin and multimineral dietary supplements: definitions, characterization, bioavailability, and drug interactions. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 85(1), 269S–276S. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/85.1.269S
- Liu R. H. (2003). Health benefits of fruit and vegetables are from additive and synergistic combinations of phytochemicals. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 78(3 Suppl), 517S–520S. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/78.3.517S
- Vitamin B₁₂ Supplement — Health Benefits, Dosage, Side Effects | Examine.com
- Vitamin D Supplement — Health Benefits, Dosage, Side Effects | Examine.com
- Calcium Supplement — Health Benefits, Dosage, Side Effects | Examine.com
- Iron Supplement — Health Benefits, Dosage, Side Effects | Examine.com
- Zinc Supplement — Health Benefits, Dosage, Side Effects | Examine.com
- Fish Oil: Summary of Scientific Research | Examine.com