There’s a lot of things that affect muscle growth. Your protein and calorie intake, the routine you use, plus the supplements you take.
Vitamins may not be high on your list of important muscle growth supplements. They should be.
Several vitamins are directly involved in the process of muscle growth. A deficiency of one or more vitamins can lead to problems building mass.
This guide will review the best vitamins for muscle growth, Let’s dive right in!
In a Hurry? Here is our top pick:
Best vitamins for muscle growth
- Nature’s Bounty Vitamin D3 – Best Overall
- GNC Vitamin A – Best Vitamin A
- Nutricost Vitamin B6 – Best B6
- Bronson Organic Folic Acid (Vitamin B9) – Best Folic Acid
- NOW Biotin – Best Biotin
- Jarrow Formulas Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5) – Best Pantothenic Acid
- Natrol Vitamin B12 Fast Dissolve Tablets – Best Vitamin B12
- Solgar Hy Bio Vitamin C Complex – Best Vitamin C
- Puritan’s Pride Vitamin E – Best Vitamin E
Reviews – The Best vitamins for muscle growth
Nature’s Bounty Vitamin D3 – Best Overall
Nature’s Bounty Vitamin D3 provides 2000IU per softgel capsule. The only other ingredients are what’s required to make the capsules. There are zero artificial ingredients. When it comes to muscle growth, D3 is the most important vitamin.
One reason is that it’s involved in testosterone production more than any other vitamin. In fact, it’s commonly found in many test booster formulas. Also, it’s involved in protein synthesis and supports bone health. Finally, some studies suggest it promotes strength and power.
- D3 Supports Testosterone Production And Protein Synthesis
- One Softgel Capsule Provides 2,000IU Of D3
- There Are No Artificial Ingredients
- Some Users Do Not Like The Aftertaste
GNC Vitamin A – Best Vitamin A
GNC Vitamin A provides 10,000 IU per softgel capsule. Vitamin A is a fat-soluble vitamin. This means it absorbs better when taken with a meal containing fat. It also means it stays in the body longer than water-soluble vitamins. GNC Vitamin A contains no artificial ingredients. Also, it’s potency certified.
When you think of Vitamin A, you think of healthy eyes and healthy skin. Yet Vitamin A has a role in protein synthesis stimulation. It also supports testosterone production. Research has suggested that Vitamin A deficiency contributes to lower testosterone levels.
- Vitamin A Supports Protein Synthesis And Eye Health
- One Capsule Supplies 10,000IU
- Fast Absorbing Softgel Capsules
- Some Users Feel These Are Not As Value-Conscious As Other Brands
Nutricost Vitamin B6 – Best B6
Nutricost Vitamin B6 provides 100mg of this water-soluble vitamin per capsule. The only other ingredients are rice flour and gelatin to make the capsule. Finally, Nutricost Vitamin B6 is non-GMO, GMP-Compliant, and 3rd party tested.
Vitamin B6 has a role in protein metabolism. In fact, B6 is important for bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts that consume higher amounts of protein. Also, B6 supports the production of red blood cells. These are important for growth and muscle repair.
- 100mg B6 Per Capsule
- B6 Is Important For Protein Metabolism
- Tested For Purity, Quality, And Potency
- Some Users Complain The Capsules Stick Together
Bronson Organic Folic Acid (Vitamin B9) – Best Folic Acid
Bronson Organic Folic Acid supplies 800mcg folic acid per tablet. The source is organic lemon peel. The tablet itself is made using organic corn and rice ingredients. There are no artificial ingredients.
Folic acid is an important B vitamin that’s involved in the production of nitric oxide. Folic acid works with B6 and B12 to support increased blood flow. This, in turn, means improved nutrient delivery to muscles. Finally, this is a Certified Organic, lab tested and made in a cGMP facility product.
- Organically Sourced From Lemon Peel
- Laboratory Tested For Purity And Quality
- Important For Increased Blood Flow
- Some Users Find The Tablets Melt On Warm Days
NOW Biotin – Best Biotin
Biotin is one of the B vitamins. Like some of the other B Vitamins, biotin supports the metabolism of protein. Biotin is also involved in the production of hormones in the body. NOW Biotin provides 10mg per capsule. The capsules consist of only a few ingredients. There are no artificial ingredients.
NOW Biotin is non-GMO, vegan, gluten-free and GMP quality assured. It also has an NPA A-rated GMP certification. This means the complete manufacturing process undergoes an audit. Once passed, it’s approved for sale.
- 10mg Per Capsule
- Tested For Quality, Purity, And Potency
- Supports Protein Metabolism And Hormone Production
- Some Users Don’t Like The Aftertaste
Jarrow Formulas Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5) – Best Pantothenic Acid
Jarrow Formulas Pantothenic Acid provides 500mg per veggie capsule. This formula is vegan and there are no artificial ingredients. The manufacturing of Pantothenic Acid, and all Jarrow supplements follows cGMP guidelines. Also, the production takes place in a cGMP-approved facility.
Pantothenic Acid supports the metabolism of protein, carbohydrates, and fats. It helps convert these macronutrients into energy. This includes muscular energy. It’s also important for hormone production.
- 500mg Per Capsule
- cGMP Certified For Purity, Quality, And Potency
- Supports Protein Metabolism And Hormone Production
- Some Users Feel The Capsules Are Hard To Swallow
Natrol Vitamin B12 Fast Dissolve Tablets – Best Vitamin B12
Here are fast dissolve sublingual B12 tablets that are strawberry flavored. You can chew them or allow them to dissolve under your tongue. Taken this way, they go right into your bloodstream. B12 supports protein metabolism. It also promotes cellular energy and combats stress.
Natrol Vitamin B12 Fast Dissolve Tablets provide 5000mcg per tablet. There are a lot of ingredients that go into making the tablet. Still, Natrol Vitamin B12 Fast Dissolve Tablets are vegetarian. There are no artificial flavorings or sweeteners.
- Fast Dissolving Tablets
- 5000mcg B12 Per Tablet
- Supports Protein Metabolism
- Some Users Do Not Notice Much Energy
Solgar Hy Bio Vitamin C Complex – Best Vitamin C
Solgar Hy Bio Vitamin C Complex supplies 500mg per vegan tablet. There are also naturally Solgar Hy Bio Vitamin C Complex supplies 500mg per vegan tablet. There are also naturally occurring compounds that enhance the absorption of Vitamin C. These compounds include bioflavonoids, rutin, and rose hips. There are no artificial ingredients.
Vitamin C provides a number of benefits. First, it acts as an antioxidant. This benefit prevents muscle cell damage caused by free radicals. More importantly, Vitamin C plays a role in the formation of testosterone. Of course, testosterone is a major anabolic hormone that promotes muscle growth. It’s also involved in collagen production. This means healthier connective tissue around the joints.
- 500mg Vitamin C Per Veggie Cap – Includes Bioflavonoids, Rutin, And Rose Hips
- Zero Artificial Ingredients
- Antioxidant – Supports Hormone Production And Connective Tissue
- Some Users Feel The Capsules Are Too Big
Puritan’s Pride Vitamin E – Best Vitamin E
Puritan’s Pride Vitamin E provides 1,000IU. It’s a mixed tocopherol form of Vitamin E. What does that mean? Vitamin E consists of compounds known as “tocopherols”. These have names such as gamma, alpha, and so on.
Many Vitamin E’s are only the gamma form. Mixed consists of four forms: gamma, alpha, beta, and delta. Vitamin E is an antioxidant. Like Vitamin C, it protects muscle cells from free radical damage. This, in turn, promotes recovery. Also, Vitamin E supports blood pressure, which leads to increased nutrient delivery.
- Features Mixed Tocopherols
- 1,000IU Per Capsule
- Powerful Antioxidant
- Some Users Feel They Are Too Big To Swallow
Buying Guide – How To Choose The Best Vitamins For Muscle Growth?
What Are Vitamins
Vitamins (and minerals) are known as micronutrients. They are substances the body needs for normal function, development, and growth. They are essential for good health. Vitamins are available in several delivery systems. These include capsules, tablets, soft gels, powder, chewables, gummies, and liquid. (5)
The B Vitamins and Vitamin C are water-soluble. This means they are not stored in the body. The body will excrete any excess of these vitamins. You should take water-soluble vitamins on a consistent basis. (5)
The fat-soluble vitamins are as follows: Vitamins A, D, E, and K. They are well-absorbed and stored in the body. For this reason, it’s important to pay attention to dosage. (5)
Vitamins And Muscle Growth
Many users do not think about vitamins when they think of muscle growth. After all, there are several more “exotic” supplements. Things like pre-workouts, BCAAs, and Test Boosters. Still, vitamins control quite a few metabolic functions. Many of these are critical for training performance, recovery, and muscle growth.
Studies suggest that vitamin deficiency in specific vitamins negatively affects in-the-gym performance. Deficiencies can also hamper metabolic efficiency and hormone production.
Vitamins C and E are popular and effective antioxidants. Without these, the muscles can be damaged by free radicals. Of course, these vitamins provide several more benefits. Also, many bodybuilders, athletes, and fitness enthusiasts restrict calories to drop body fat. This can result in vitamin deficiencies.
The Benefits Of Vitamins
Here are a few of the benefits of taking vitamins for muscle growth.
- Correct Deficiencies – As noted, any deficiencies will hamper progress. You may be deficient if you eat a poor diet, miss meals, or follow a calorie-reduced-calorie diet.
- Increase Energy – Many of the B vitamins support energy at the cellular level. This includes the energy to exercise.
- Decrease Anxiety And Stress – The B vitamins in this guide combat stress and anxiety.
- Support Metabolism – Many vitamins support metabolism. This is the breakdown and use of food to be used for energy. There is one primary metabolic process that relates directly to muscle growth. This process is called anabolism. It is the use of energy from food for growth and repair. This is the state you must be in if muscle growth is to occur.
- Hormone Production – Many vitamins, such as Biotin and Pantothenic Acid, support hormone production. These hormones include testosterone, GH, and insulin.
- Antioxidants – Vitamins C and E are powerful antioxidants. These vitamins combat free radical damage in the muscles. They also support the immune system for good overall health.
- Supports Cognitive Health – Vitamin E and the various B vitamins in this guide support overall cognitive health.
What You Should Look For When Considering Vitamins
When shopping for any vitamin, always make sure there are no artificial ingredients. Check the label. Many companies use quality certification and 3rd party testing. Some vitamins, such as Jarrow Formulas, are cGMP, (or Current Good Manufacturing Practices) certified. There are cGMP regulations for manufacturers. They are required to analyze the composition, purity, strength, and identity of ingredients they use. Other companies use cGMP, or other 3rd party testing. These include NOW, Nutricost, and Jarrow Formulas.
Synthetic Or Natural?
Many vitamins are synthetic. This means they are man-made in a lab. They are made identical to how they occur in nature. Still, many users prefer an all-natural vitamin, usually from whole food sources. One example is Bronson Organic Vitamin B9 (Folic Acid). This vitamin is naturally sourced from lemon peel.
Before you buy, consider the delivery system of the vitamin. Capsules are easier to swallow than hard tablets. They are often smaller. Softgels are also easier to swallow. If this is a problem, check the label for a size chart. Often, you can see an image of how big the capsule, tablet, or soft gels are. Some vitamins, such as Natrol Vitamin B12, are fast dissolving tablets. They do not have to be swallowed. Vitamin C is also usually available in liquid, chewables, or powder.
Nature’s Bounty Vitamin D3 provides 2000 IU per softgel. This is a clean formula made by one of the biggest vitamin manufacturers in the world. Vitamins for muscle growth are mainly single-ingredient formulas. You can use Nature’s Bounty D3 and add any other vitamin you want to it. Or, you can use one specific product only.
Are antioxidant benefits important to you? Then Solgar Hy Bio Vitamin C Complex is the ideal choice. This formula is a complete C complex. That means it contains bioflavonoids, routine, and rose hips. These ingredients enhance the absorption of Vitamin C.
Finally, are you looking for B12 for more energy? B12 also supports protein metabolism and fights stress. Natrol Vitamin B12 is strawberry flavored fast-dissolving tablets. They dissolve in your mouth for fast absorption. They are sugar free and contain no artificial flavors or sweeteners.
The best vitamins for muscle growth help you achieve the progress you’ve been training for. Use our guide to find the one that’s right for you!
- Carrillo, A. E., Flynn, M. G., Pinkston, C., Markofski, M. M., Jiang, Y., Donkin, S. S., & Teegarden, D. (2013). Impact of vitamin D supplementation during a resistance training intervention on body composition, muscle function, and glucose tolerance in overweight and obese adults. Clinical nutrition (Edinburgh, Scotland), 32(3), 375–381. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2012.08.014
- The Fat-Soluble Vitamins: A, D, E and K (healthline.com)
- LICHSTEIN H. C. (1956). Vitamin B6 and protein synthesis. The Journal of biological chemistry, 219(1), 27–29.
- Hwang, S. Y., Sung, B., & Kim, N. D. (2019). Roles of folate in skeletal muscle cell development and functions. Archives of pharmacal research, 42(4), 319–325. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12272-018-1100-9
- Vitamins: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
- Pantothenic acid and biotin: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
- How to Use Vitamin B-12 for Bodybuilding | Livestrong.com
- (PDF) Effect of High Dose Vitamin C Supplementation on Muscle Soreness, Damage, Function, and Oxidative Stress to Eccentric Exercise (researchgate.net)
- How vitamin E keeps muscles healthy — ScienceDaily