If you have high arches, finding the right walking shoes can be a difficult task. High arches mean less of your foot touches the ground.
A high arch may not cause pain, but your feet may feel sore and tired more easily. You may also experience ankle pain, a tight Achilles tendon, or calluses.
The best walking shoes for high arches can solve all of these problems and give your feet the support they need.
Let’s get going!
In a Hurry? Here is our top pick:
Quick Answer – The Best Walking Shoes For High Arches
- The Saucony Echelon LE2 Walking Shoe – Best Overall
- ASICS Women’s Gel-Kayano 25 Running Shoes – Best Women’s
- Brooks Men’s Addiction Walker Walking Shoes – Best Men’s
- New Balance 847 V3 Walking Shoe Men’s & Women’s – Best Value
- Propét Stability Walker Men’s & Women’s – Best Lightweight
- New Balance Men’s 877 V1 Walking Shoe – Best For Wide Feet
- ASICS Men’s & Women’s GEL Venture 5 Running Shoe – Best For Fitness Walking
- Nike Men’s Air Monarch IV Cross Trainer – Best For Durability
- Brooks Ghost 9 Men’s & Women’s Running Shoes – Best Eco-Friendly
Reviews – The Best Walking Shoes For High Arches
1. The Saucony Echelon LE2 Walking Shoe – Best Overall
The Saucony Echelon LE2 is available for both men and women. This is a walking shoe that has outstanding comfort, durability, and quality. Additionally, these shoes have excellent flexibility, cushioning, and shock absorption, all important considerations for people with high arches.
The Saucony Echelon LE2 Walking Shoe features a PowerGrid cushioning system in the midsole. This helps center the foot to prevent rolling and spreads out pressure for a more comfortable walking experience. The rubber outsole provides good traction and durability. All of these qualities make the Saucony Echelon LE2 the best walking shoe for high arches.
- Features The PowerGrid Cushioning System
- Provides Good Shock Absorption
- Provides Good Flexibility
- Can Be A Little Pricey
2. ASICS Women’s Gel-Kayano 25 Running Shoes – Best Women’s
Even though the ASICS Women’s Gel-Kayano 25 are advertised as running shoes, they make an excellent walking shoe for high arches. The Gel-Kayano 25 provides good support, stability, and motion control.
This innovative shoe features 5 “technology systems” that work together to create an exceptional walking shoe. First, there’s the Rearfoot and Forefoot GEL Technology Cushioning System which reduces shock during impact and toe-off phases.
Next, we have the I.G.S (Impact Guidance System) Technology which supports the foot’s natural style of walking from heel strike to toe-off.
Then there’s the Guidance Line Midsole Technology, which supports walking efficiency.
The shoe also supports walking efficiency while providing structural integrity in the midfoot area with its Guidance Trusstic System Technology.
Finally, there’s SpevaFoam 45 Lasting which uses a full-length SpevaFoam 45 material for improved comfort.
All of these advanced features and the overall quality makes ASICS Women’s Gel-Kayano 25 the best women’s walking shoes for high arches.
- Features 5 Innovative Technology Systems
- Features Gel Cushioning
- Supports The Foot’s Natural Gait
- Some Users Have Experienced Inferior Quality
3. Brooks Men’s Addiction Walker Walking Shoes – Best Men’s
The Brooks Men’s Addiction Walker Walking Shoes provides good support for both high and low arches. The sole is durable and slip-resistant. The midsole provides good traction on different surfaces.
This shoe has an Extended Progressive Diagonal Rollbar that provides excellent arch support. The Rollbar also helps keep your body in its natural path of motion.
The BioMoGo DNA cushioning adjusts to your stride, weight, and speed. This makes every step comfortable.
The forefoot MC Pod construction and advanced outsole help keep your feet in a balanced, stable position.
All of these features as well as the comfort and durability make the Brooks Men’s Addiction Walker the best men’s walking shoes for high arches.
- Made Using Durable Leather & Nubuck
- Provides Good Arch Support
- Supports Balance & Stability
- May Feel A Little Big Over Time
4. New Balance 847 V3 Walking Shoe Men’s & Women’s – Best Value
The New Balance 847 V3 Walking Shoe is another high-quality shoe with advanced technology that supports high arches. It has an Extended Progressive Diagonal Rollbar system that provides good motion control.
There’s also the ABZORB system for cushioning, and Ortholite foam inserts for additional support.
The 847 V3 uses rubber-like compounds on the outer part of the shoe for good durability. All of these impressive features are available at a price that will make you look twice. That makes the New Balance 847 V3 the best value walking shoe for high arches.
- The ROLLBAR Stability Positioning System Supports Motion Control
- The ABZORB Cushioning System Provides Comfort & Good Shock Absorption
- An Ortholite Foam Provides Good Support
- Some Users May Feel The Shoes Fit Too Tight For The Size
5. Propét Stability Walker Men’s & Women’s – Best Lightweight
The Propét Stability Walker is a good lightweight walking shoe that provides outstanding support and stability for anyone with high arches.
This is one of Propét’s most popular models. It features a wider forefoot and heel base for better stability.
There’s a PU insole that features a heel pad and cushioning ridges for improved comfort. The Stability Walker also has a D-ring speed lacing system.
Made of 100% lightweight leather. All in all, the Propét Stability Walker is the best lightweight walking shoe for high arches.
- The Wider Forefoot And Heel Improves Stability
- The Outsole Features A Multi-Directional Tread For Superior Traction.
- Features A Comfortable Insole For Good Support.
- Some Users Find They Fit Too Small
6. New Balance Men’s 877 V1 Walking Shoe – Best For Wide Feet
The New Balance 577 V1 walking shoe is a good choice for men who need comfort and support in a walking shoe.
This is not one of the more lightweight shoes on this list. But, it features an injection-molded EVA midsole that provides good arch support.
There’s also a wide toe box that can help relieve pain or numbness that can be associated with a shoe that’s too narrow.
There’s also a good variety of sizes and widths available. That makes the New Balance Men’s 877 V1 the best walking shoe for someone with high arches and wide feet.
- Features A Molded EVA Midsole For Superior Support
- Wide Toe Box To Help Reduce Pain
- Available In A Range Of Widths
- Some Users May Feel The Quality Could Be Better
7. ASICS Men’s & Women’s GEL Venture 5 Running Shoe – Best For Fitness Walking
The ASICS Men’s & Women’s Gel Venture 5 is a shoe that is great for fitness walking, such as power walking or all-terrain walking.
It provides good durability and support as well as reinforced toe protection. There’s a reversed lug outsole for uphill and downhill walking.
Of course, this is also an excellent running shoe. If you fitness walk and/or engage in running, this is the shoe for you. The design features and versatility make the ASICS the best fitness walking shoes for high arches.
- Features A Reinforced Toe Box For Additional Safety
- Features Hard Rubber Soles For Durability
- The Outsole Is Designed For For Uphill & Downhill Walking
- The Footing May Feel Unstable On Uneven Surfaces
8. Nike Men’s Air Monarch IV Cross Trainer – Best For Durability
The Nike Men’s Air Monarch IV Cross Trainer features a Phylon midsole for shock absorption and comfort. They use air-sole technology for improved performance whether you’re working out or walking.
There is a foam Phylon midsole and full-length Air-Sole unit cushions. There’s also a solid rubber outsole for improved traction on different types of surfaces.
Nike is known in general for durability and the Air Monarch IV Cross Trainer is no exception. Many users rate the Nike Men’s Air Monarch IV Cross Trainer as one of the more durable shoes they have owned.
While some brands tend to fall apart quickly, you can expect years of use from Nike. That makes the Nike Men’s Air Monarch IV Cross Trainer the best durable walking shoe for high arches.
- Features Outstanding Durability
- Uses A Phylon Midsole For Comfort
- Lightweight Design
- Some Users May Find The Shoes Are Too Noisy
9. Brooks Ghost 9 Men’s & Women’s Running Shoes – Best Eco-Friendly
The Brooks Ghost 9 Running Shoe is one of several in the Ghost line. This is a walker that supports conservation by using materials that are friendly to the environment.
The Brooks Ghost 9 is a great choice for people that are sensitive to pain. Additionally, they use Omega Flex grooves and exceptional cushioning to help keep you pain-free and balanced. There’s also crash pads to absorb shock.
These superior design features and the use of materials kind to the environment make the Brooks Ghost 9 Running Shoes the best eco-friendly walking shoes for high arches.
- Uses Eco-Friendly Materials
- Features Omega Flex Grooves For Good Support
- Excellent Cushioning
- The Fit May Be Inconsistent
Buying Guide – How To Choose The Best Walking Shoes For High Arches?
What Are High Arches?
Normal feet have an arch in the area between your heel and the ball of your feet. High arches are just what the name implies, arches that are too high.
There are numerous problems associated with high arches. One problem is that the feet tend to roll outwards when walking.
A high arch foot is usually inflexible and tight. This leads to the foot not being able to absorb shock adequately or correctly.
With a lack of shock absorption, many complications in the feet and Achilles tendons can occur. Also, a high arched foot puts excessive weight on the balls of the feet. Additionally, you can experience pain in the heel. (1)
What Causes High Arches?
For many people, high-arches are an inherited structural deformity. For others, high arches can
be related to other health problems, such as:
- Cerebral Palsy
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Spina Bifida
- Stroke (to an extent)
- Other Neurological Disorders
One of the best ways to help improve this condition is to wear the right kind of walking shoes. Shoes that will support your ankles and add stability to your feet are the best choice. (1)
What Are The Symptoms?
High arches tend to be visible when you are standing. Also, it makes sense to check your family history to see if high arches are inherited. Other symptoms include:
- Pain when walking or standing for long periods
- Bent toes
- Frequent ankle sprains due to heel instability
- Difficulty finding shoes that fit
There are different remedies for high arches including bracing and orthotic devices. However, the most common remedy is shoe modification. While this can include orthotic inserts, it can also mean finding shoes that help distribute weight evenly and provide good arch support.
What To Look For In A Walking Shoe
As a walker, the best way to deal with high arches is to find a good walking shoe.
One of the problems caused by high arches is an increased risk of injury. High arches mean that your feet do not rotate enough when they hit the ground and most of the weight is on the balls of the feet. What you want is for the weight to be distributed evenly. When it’s not evenly distributed, you’ll experience additional problems that may affect the knee and other muscles.
If you have high arches you should look for a shoe with neutral cushioning to help distribute the impact to the entire foot. Different manufacturers use different kinds of cushioning, such as gel, foam, or air cushioning.
The type of cushioning is mostly a matter of personal preference. You should try different kinds of cushioning to see which kind you prefer.
Another feature you should consider is the flexibility of the shoe. People with high arches have stiff feet that are inflexible and that only carries weight on one side. Flexibility is needed to help distribute the weight evenly.
Other features to look for in a good walking shoe include:
- High Arch Support – Choose a walking shoe that provides good support for high arches.
- General Support – Choose a walking shoe that provides shock absorption, good cushioning, and one that provides good motion control to help prevent your ankles from twisting.
- Wide Heel – Choose a walking shoe with a wider heel than what you would find on a regular walking shoe. The wider heel helps provide stability.
- Promotes Your Natural Gait – Choose a walking shoe that helps promote your natural gait while at the same time providing good support.
- Breathability – Choose a walking shoe that has good breathability and ventilation to help keep your feet comfortable and cool.
- Durable Outsole – Choose a walking shoe with an outsole made of high abrasion rubber to provide better traction.
It can be a challenge to walk when you suffer from high arches. Whether you’re walking for fitness, work, or just as part of your daily obligations, the right walking shoe for high arches will provide comfort and support.
The Saucony Echelon LE2 is the best overall walking shoe for high arches. This high quality shoe provides excellent comfort, durability, and cushioning. They also have good shock absorption. All of these features are important considerations for people with high arches.
If you’re looking for the best value, the New Balance 847 V3 Walking Shoe is the way to go. This is a high-quality walking shoe with advanced technology that supports high arches. It has good motion control, cushioning and support. All at a value-minded price point.
If you’re concerned about the environment, there’s the Brooks Ghost 9 Men’s & Women’s Running Shoes. This shoe uses only eco-friendly materials in its manufacture.
If you want to enjoy walking, don’t be afraid to invest in the right walking shoes for your needs. This guide is your best place to start!