Weight pills may not be as common as powdered formulas. Yet they provide more convenience and are more simple to use.
They are easy to carry with you and you can take them anywhere you happen to be. All you need is some water.
When used as part of a total mass building program of exercise, diet and supplements, weight gain pills promote muscular weight gain.
Our guide will reveal the best weight gain pills on the market. Ready? Let’s jump in!
In a Hurry? Here is our top pick:
Best Weight Gain Pills
- Optimum Nutrition Micronized Creatine Monohydrate Capsules – Best Overall
- MuscleTech Platinum BCAA Pill – Best BCAAs For Weight Gain
- Rich Piana 5% Nutrition Bigger By The Day – Best Laxogenin/Epicatechin Weight Gain Pills
- BodyTech HMB + D3
- Jacked Factory Build-XT Muscle Builder – Best Performance Increasing Weight Gain Pills
- Jacked Factory N.O. XT – Best Nitric Oxide Weight Gain Pills
- HPN PA(7) – Best Phosphatidic Acid Weight Gain Pills
- Molecular Nutrition X-Factor – Best Arachidonic Acid Weight Gain Pills
- Rich Piana 5% Nutrition Freak Show – Best GDA Weight Gain Pills
- Tim Muriello’s Just Test Me! – Best Testosterone Boosting Weight Gain Pills
Reviews – The Best Weight Gain Pills
Optimum Nutrition Micronized Creatine Monohydrate Capsules – Best Overall
Creatine has been extensively researched and proven to be effective ever since it was released in the early 90s.
For some, the powder is too gritty and the taste is poor. Capsules are a convenient way to go for users that want to use creatine but don’t want the powder.
Optimum Nutrition Micronized Creatine Capsules provides 2.5g of the proven monohydrate form. This is per a two capsule serving. Two servings at divided times provide the standard 5g dose.
You can take creatine whenever you want during the day. The directions suggest taking creatine with a meal.
For best results, take them with a high carbohydrate meal for better absorption.
Creatine acts as a cell-volumizer, and improves training endurance. It also increases strength, and stimulates muscle growth.
This is the best overall weight gain pill.
- Only 4 Capsules Per Day Suggested Serving
- 2.5g Creatine Per 2 Capsules
- Tested 100% Pure
- Expensive Compared To Their Powdered Creatine
MuscleTech Platinum BCAA Pill – Best BCAAs For Weight Gain
MuscleTech Platinum BCAA Pill provides 1g of the 3 BCAAs per 1 caplet serving.
BCAAs are very involved in protein synthesis stimulation. This is a direct trigger for muscle growth.
They also support recovery and act as an anti-catabolic by preventing muscle protein breakdown.
The great thing about Platinum BCAA Pills is that you can easily pop 2-3 caplets throughout the day. This can help you maintain an anabolic environment. This helps promote weight gain in the form of muscle growth.
- 1g BCAAs Per Serving
- Ratio 8:1:1 – 800mg Leucine/100mg Isoleucine/100mg Valine
- Take Them Anytime And Anywhere
- This Product Would Be Better If They Contained All 9 EAAs
Rich Piana 5% Nutrition Bigger By The Day – Best Laxogenin/Epicatechin Weight Gain Pills
Rich Piana 5% Nutrition Bigger By The Day combines both epicatechin and laxogenin.
These are two popular natural weight gain ingredients.
You can find several products with one or the other, but not that many with both.
This formula also includes HICA, a metabolite of l-leucine, and leucine itself.
Finally, there’s black pepper extract for improved absorption.
Bigger By The Day is the best laxo/epi based weight gain pill on the market.
- Features Two Natural Muscle Builders
- Includes HICA For Protein Synthesis Stimulation
- Easy To Swallow Capsules
- May Be Too Pricey For Some Users
BodyTech HMB + D3
BodyTech HMB + D3 provides 1g HMB with 333IUs D3 per 4 capsule serving.
HMB is derived from the BCAA l-leucine, the most anabolic of any amino acid.
HMB supports muscle growth, supports recovery, and prevents muscle protein breakdown.
Vitamin D3 supports HMB function.
The downside is the same as any pill-based formula, you may have to take a lot of pills to get an effective serving.
In this case, you’ll need to take 4 capsules 3x per day to get the ideal 3g dose of HMB. Still, HMB +D3 is an effective way to gain muscular weight.
- Easy To Swallow Vegetable Capsules
- 3g Daily Serving Of HMB
- 999 IUs Daily Dose Of D3
- The 120 Capsule Bottle Will Only Last 10 Days Using The Suggested 12 Capsule Per Day Serving
Jacked Factory Build-XT Muscle Builder – Best Performance Increasing Weight Gain Pills
Jacked Factory Build-XT are weight gain pills designed to increase muscle mass.
They also improve strength and increase training endurance.
One serving of 2 capsules provides PEAKO2, elevATP, and astragin. PEAKO2 is an adaptogenic mushroom complex.
This means it improves users’ ability to train harder and longer. elevATP is a mix of peat and apple extract that stimulates ATP production in the body.
This increases training endurance.
Finally, astragin improves absorption. The daily dose is only 2 capsules, making this easier to handle than some of the products requiring 12 or more capsule.
- Build-XT Uses Branded Ingredients Only
- 2 Capsule Per Day Suggested Dose
- Clinically Dosed
- May Cause Stomach Discomfort In Some Users
Jacked Factory N.O. XT – Best Nitric Oxide Weight Gain Pills
One of the more effective and popular supplement categories is nitric oxide boosters.
Most formulas are powdered, but when this category was new, the first products were tablets and capsules.
Jacked Factory N.O. XT continues the tradition of the best nitric oxide booster in pill form. N.O.
XT contains citrulline, patented nitrosigine, and glutathione.
There’s also black pepper extract for absorption. The serving size is 3 capsules.
Still, with 1.5g citrulline per dose, users will need to take 3 servings per day. This dosage provides 4.5g citrulline, an acceptable dose.
- Good Combination Of Pump Enhancing Ingredients
- Also Increases Nutrient Delivery To The Muscles
- Includes Black Pepper For Better Absorption
- Users Will Need To Take 3 Servings Per Day To Reach Clinical Dosing
HPN PA(7) – Best Phosphatidic Acid Weight Gain Pills
HPN PA(7) contains effectively dosed patented Mediator Phosphatidic Acid.
There’s also 1g leucine, and astragin for absorption.
One serving equals 5 capsules. Leucine is not dosed strong enough to be effective but is in a supporting role here.
This product promotes weight gain by stimulating protein synthesis and increasing strength.
As noted above, protein synthesis activation is a direct trigger for muscular weight gain.
Some users may benefit from stacking this product with BCAA pills for more leucine content.
- Uses A Patented, Branded Primary Ingredient
- Added Leucine – The Most Anabolic Amino Acid
- AstraGin For Improved Absorption
- Some Users Feel The Capsules May Be Under Filled
Molecular Nutrition X-Factor – Best Arachidonic Acid Weight Gain Pills
X-Factor contains 250mg of patented arachidonic acid per one soft-gel serving.
This ingredient is an omega-6 fatty acid that helps initiate protein synthesis.
It’s also suggested for users who have “plateaued” in their muscular weight gain efforts.
Additionally, it promotes strength and power increases.
This ingredient is university studied and clinically dosed. The suggested dose is one softgel per day.
However, once or twice per year, users are advised to take the university researched dose of 6 capsules per day for 8 weeks.
- Features Patented Arachidonic Acid
- Suggested Dose Of 1 Soft-Gel Per Day
- Supported By Two University Studies
- Taking The Research-Level Dose Of 6 Per Day Will Be Expensive
Rich Piana 5% Nutrition Freak Show – Best GDA Weight Gain Pills
Freak Show is among a newer category of products that support muscular weight gain by forcing carbs to be used by the muscles.
The body uses stored carbohydrates for training energy.
Also, carbs pull water into the muscles to help create a pumped look.
Additionally, this product helps keep any excess carbs from being stored as fat.
Freak Show should be taken with a high carb meal. This means users can eat more calories, which is important for muscular weight gain.
One serving is 6 capsules and the formula consists of 11 ingredients.
- Forces The Body To Use Carbs For Muscle Growth
- Prevents Excess Carbs From Being Stored As Fat
- Pulls Water Into The Muscles
- Users Will Have To Take 12 Capsules Per Day
Tim Muriello’s Just Test Me! – Best Testosterone Boosting Weight Gain Pills
Testosterone boosters are among the most popular weight gain products.
Testosterone is one of three major anabolic hormones naturally produced by the body. Once you reach your 20s, natural levels start to decline.
Just Test Me! from Tim Muriello’s Spazmatic Supplements is based on the clinical 3.2g dose of d-aspartic acid.
The additional 12 other ingredients create a well-rounded formula. This product contains such mainstays as zinc, magnesium, boron, and tribulus, to name a few.
While the formula is well dosed, the serving size is 12 capsules. You don’t have to take them all at once, you can divide the dosage between morning and evening.
- 13 Ingredient Formula. Including D-Aspartic Acid, Shilajit, And Tribulus
- Features An Effectively Dosed Formula
- Increases Natural Testosterone Production – Inhibits Estrogen
- 12 Capsules May Be Too Many For Some Users
Buying Guide – How To Choose The Best Weight Gain Pills?
What Are Weight Gain Pills?
At first glance, you might think “weight gain” pills are like those high-calorie weight gainers. Or perhaps pills that stimulate your appetite so you eat more. What we mean is muscular weight gain.
So, we’re talking about natural muscle builders that come in pill form. These pills are designed to help you pack on pounds of lean muscle.
The Best Weight Gain Ingredients
BCAAs – Protein synthesis has become known as a direct key to muscle growth. Of the three BCAAs, l-leucine is the most effective. They are commonly found in several formula types across numerous sports nutrition categories. They can also be used by themselves. Beyond protein synthesis, they also support recovery and help prevent muscle protein breakdown. One of the best ways to use BCAA pills is to take them with your protein powder. (1)
What can be said about creatine? It’s the most researched supplement of all. It’s been consistently proven to be effective. Creatine causes a cell volume or pumped effect by pulling water into the muscle cells. It’s also involved in ATP production, and it supports strength increases. (2,3)
This is known as a flavonoid. It occurs naturally in green tea and dark chocolate. Epicatechin stimulates muscle growth and increases the production of nitric oxide. One theory on how it may stimulate weight gain is by myostatin inhibition. This is a form of protein that controls how much muscular weight you can gain. (4)
This is a plant steroid that activates protein synthesis and increases strength. (5)
HMB is derived from the BCAA l-leucine. It supports protein synthesis and promotes recovery. Vitamin D3 supports the functions of HMB.
Nitric Oxide Booster
NO boosters stimulate the production of nitric oxide in the body. This promotes good pumps, and increases nutrient delivery. Ingredients include citrulline, arginine, agmatine sulfate, and nitrosigine. They can be in any combination or be stand-alone products. (7)
Test boosters include ingredients like boron, magnesium, zinc, boron, d-aspartic acid, and tribukus. to name a few. This type of weight gain pill is especially good for older users. This is because natural levels start to decline as soon as the early 20s. (8)
Glucose Disposal Agents work by manipulating insulin to drive excess carbs into the muscles. Carbs are stored as energy by the body. They also pull water into the muscles, thereby increasing muscle cell volume. (9)
This is an ingredient that helps activate protein synthesis. (10)
This ingredient is an omega-6 fatty acid that supports protein synthesis. This compound is naturally stored in the muscles. Intense training reduces levels, which can impair protein metabolism.
This patented compound is a blend of 6 mushrooms that act as an adaptogen. This means it helps the body adapt to physical stress, such as intense training. It also helps increase endurance and power, which helps users get more from your workouts.
This compound is a combination of peat and apple polyphenols that supports endurance, power and strength.
What To Consider When Buying Weight Gain Pills
If your goal is to add as much muscular weight as you can, you’ll want to begin by eating a high protein, moderate carb, moderate fat diet. Your training program should be designed to help you build muscle.
For example, a program of compound exercises, progressively heavier weight, and reps in the 6-8 range are a good place to start.
Make sure your protein intake is high and consistent. Use a protein powder, but complement that with BCAA pills. One of the keys to your goal of weight gain is to maintain an anabolic, or positive, environment in the body. This simply means your body is in an ideal state to build muscle.
BCAAs should be a foundational product, and to be honest, creatine should be as well. From here, you can add any of the products you see in our guide.
How To Use Weight Gain Pills
No matter which weight gain pill you choose, you should read and follow all label directions. Read all available information and take exactly as directed.
There’s quite a few good choices when it comes to weight gain pills.
Optimum Nutrition Micronized Creatine Monohydrate Capsules are the best overall. Creatine has been the standard bearer when it comes to products that are well-researched and considered effective.
If you don’t want to use creatine, MuscleTech Platinum BCAA Pill are the best of this type in pill form. BCAAs are well known for their impact on protein synthesis.
If you want to try something new, Rich Piana 5% Nutrition Bigger By The Day is the way to go. This product features laxogenin and epicatechin, two natural weight gain stimulators you don’t usually find in the same formula.
There’s plenty of weight gain pills in our guide. Which one is the best?
The choice is yours. Happy training!
- Jackman, S. R., Witard, O. C., Philp, A., Wallis, G. A., Baar, K., & Tipton, K. D. (2017). Branched-Chain Amino Acid Ingestion Stimulates Muscle Myofibrillar Protein Synthesis following Resistance Exercise in Humans. Frontiers in physiology, 8, 390. https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2017.00390
- Casey, A., & Greenhaff, P. L. (2000). Does dietary creatine supplementation play a role in skeletal muscle metabolism and performance?. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 72(2 Suppl), 607S–17S. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/72.2.607S
- Ingwall, J. S., Weiner, C. D., Morales, M. F., Davis, E., & Stockdale, F. E. (1974). Specificity of creatine in the control of muscle protein synthesis. The Journal of cell biology, 62(1), 145–151. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.62.1.145
- Effects of (−)-epicatechin on molecular modulators of skeletal muscle growth and differentiation (nih.gov)
- Akt-dependent anabolic activity of natural and synthetic brassinosteroids in rat skeletal muscle cells (nih.gov)
- Wilson, J. M., Fitschen, P. J., Campbell, B., Wilson, G. J., Zanchi, N., Taylor, L., Wilborn, C., Kalman, D. S., Stout, J. R., Hoffman, J. R., Ziegenfuss, T. N., Lopez, H. L., Kreider, R. B., Smith-Ryan, A. E., & Antonio, J. (2013). International Society of Sports Nutrition Position Stand: beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB). Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 10(1), 6. https://doi.org/10.1186/1550-2783-10-6
- Curis, E., Crenn, P., & Cynober, L. (2007). Citrulline and the gut. Current opinion in clinical nutrition and metabolic care, 10(5), 620–626. https://doi.org/10.1097/MCO.0b013e32829fb38d
- Topo, E., Soricelli, A., D’Aniello, A., Ronsini, S., & D’Aniello, G. (2009). The role and molecular mechanism of D-aspartic acid in the release and synthesis of LH and testosterone in humans and rats. Reproductive biology and endocrinology : RB&E, 7, 120. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7827-7-120
- Zuñiga, L. Y., González-Ortiz, M., & Martínez-Abundis, E. (2017). Effect of Gymnema sylvestre Administration on Metabolic Syndrome, Insulin Sensitivity, and Insulin Secretion. Journal of medicinal food, 20(8), 750–754. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2017.0001
- Hoffman, J. R., Stout, J. R., Williams, D. R., Wells, A. J., Fragala, M. S., Mangine, G. T., Gonzalez, A. M., Emerson, N. S., McCormack, W. P., Scanlon, T. C., Purpura, M., & Jäger, R. (2012). Efficacy of phosphatidic acid ingestion on lean body mass, muscle thickness and strength gains in resistance-trained men. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 9(1), 47. https://doi.org/10.1186/1550-2783-9-47